Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ElevationLab today launched a new Kickstarter project for the Elevation Stand, an aluminum stand designed for the iMac and Apple displays. Aimed at improving posture, the Elevation Stand is milled from a single piece of aluminum to match the seamless look of the iMac and Apple's displays.

elevationstand.jpg
According to ElevationLab, the Elevation Stand has the smallest footprint of available iMac stands, along with a minimalistic design that hides extras like hard drives, USB hubs, cables, and more. It raises the monitor by 68mm, encouraging users to sit up straighter.

The company is also debuting the Elevation Anchor, made to keep headphones out of sight but within reach. Constructed from medical-grade silicone, it mounts under a desk to hide headphones.

ElevationLab previously produced the Elevation Dock, an aluminum iPhone dock that raised more than 1.4 million dollars.

The Elevation Stand can be preordered via a Kickstarter pledge of $59, while the Elevation Anchor can be preordered for $25. A $79 pledge gets backers a Stand and two Anchors, while additional colors are available at $85 and $99 price points. All products are expected to ship in September of 2014.

Article Link: ElevationLab Debuts Aluminum Elevation Stand for iMac and Apple Displays

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
The narrator of the video is eh, almost seems unsure of himself.
They seem to struggle on finding good points to make on this stand, as if it's something highly more than just a shaped piece of metal. "No screws, etc"-- as if that would be a feat to not have screws on something like this.

Not to be a negative nancy, just seems a bit silly to me in the way they talk about it being manufactured on the same machine Tesla makes their cars, la la la, but in actuality it is just a chunk of metal.

I would have preferred the base to be large enough to house either an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule underneath, but in playing devil's advocate with myself, I guess that could only really apply to the older generations of.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Not the first time Apple's simplicity of design leaves the door wide open for third party business opportunities. Certainly not the last.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Don't even have a TBD or iMac and I want one... for the eventuality that I do get one >_>

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
the manufacturing of this is cool but i don't feel like it actually looks good from the front. still tempted to buy one.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
why would they mills this out of a block of aluminum? it should be extruded then it just needs cut to length and finished. takes an investment to make the extrusion mold but it is dirt cheap after that.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I don't think stand will help me. I like it a lot but at the moment I use a thick folded towel. As a low tech HDD vibration dampener. I'll seriously think about this.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
You'd think Apple could get at least one person on Ive's design team that thinks about ergonomics, thus avoiding mistakes like this fixed height stand, sharp laptop edges or the Tragic Mouse.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Why are all these videos always in the same style? The uplifting music, narrating with production footage being shown. Seems like everyone is trying to copy Apple's videos. Can't these people just make their own style and come up with a different idea to showcase their products.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would have preferred the base to be large enough to house either an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule underneath, but in playing devil's advocate with myself, I guess that could only really apply to the older generations of.

I'm sure an aluminum box would do wonders for your WIFI signal too… :D

QT317

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
I switched to an adjustable VESA arm because the iMac sits too high - I cant imagine there is a lot of people out there crying out for a way to make it taller.

my 27" now sits 1cm off the table and I've never been comfier.

Dambuster43

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
I am sure this is over engineered....milling a solid billet of Aluminium is wasteful and manufacturing costs increase in material and time per unit. I am equally sure that an extrusion could be manufactured which could be cost effective on the savings made from having minimal wastage. It needs an auto cutter setting to the width, after which the holes can be drilled and ready for finishing.
The strength of an extrusion is the same as milling a shape from a solid block.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I switched to an adjustable VESA arm because the iMac sits too high - I cant imagine there is a lot of people out there crying out for a way to make it taller.

my 27" now sits 1cm off the table and I've never been comfier.
Same here. I already found the iMac screen stands too high to be comfortable, so why make a stand?

ruby99

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
"I cant imagine there is a lot of people out there crying out for a way to make it taller."

I'm in complete agreement. There are at least eight people that posted here that see a need, though.

jdpierce21

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
Atlanta, GA
"I cant imagine there is a lot of people out there crying out for a way to make it taller."

I'm in complete agreement. There are at least eight people that posted here that see a need, though.

411 people according to the Kick Starter have already purchased.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Where do we find stuff about the elevation anchor? It sounds interesting

Edit: found it after much scrolling

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.