Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A research note (via Barrons) from Christopher Caso, an analyst with Susquehanna Financial Group, reiterates previous analyst reporting about the iWatch, saying Apple is looking to enter production with a pair of screen sizes in the fourth quarter of 2014.

Caso says Apple has production targets of 5-6 million units, but believes the iWatch will "essentially replace the iPod in the consumer portion of AAPL's product lineup" and will see lowered iPod sales as a result of customers choosing the iWatch instead. The note says the iPod is not expected to be updated this year.

ipodfamily.jpg

Apple CEO Tim Cook said earlier this year that the iPod "is a declining business", with sales dropping to under $5 billion in 2013, down from a peak of more than $8 billion in 2008. Apple's iPod lineup has not seen a significant update since Fall 2012, other than a minor color change to match the rest of Apple's portable offerings. The iPod Classic has not been updated in several years.

Apple has worked hard to have products at a variety of price points, from the $49 iPod Shuffle up to the 128GB iPad Air at $799, and then to the various Mac products.

Article Link: iWatch May Ultimately Replace iPod, No iPod Updates Expected in 2014

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
I paid 5 Billion for a burger the other day! Still picking millions' worth of it out of my teeth!

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
no way. kids who can't have iPhones want the next best thing...iPods... i think if anything they'll just slow down updates.

Dubberton

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
That's actually bound to happen in the not too distant future; the devices are getting too thin for the current 3,5 mm jack.

yeah it's a battery issue I think. They could be huge wrap around like hearing aids or even around the neck, but ughhhhh another thing to charrrggee. for exercise though it would be so practical, but other than that i'd stick to wires.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
iPod touch is way inferior compare to iPhone on the same generation.
They need to bump the specs and stop selling outdated hardware.

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
Seems like the iWatch would go hand in hand with iTunes Radio... As long as they have wireless headphones of course. I'm sure you could pair your iPhones music with your iWatch just like you can internet with a hotspot.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
The iPhone didn't replace the iPod, and basically the iPhone IS an iPod with other stuff added.

So the iWatch isn't going to replace the iPod either. Apple will keep making iPods as long as people continue to buy them.

And people are still buying like 9 or 10 M iPods a year, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.