Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facetime_ios_icon.jpg
Apple tonight released an update for FaceTime on OS X [Direct Link], which resolves connections issues and is recommended for all FaceTime users currently running OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The connection issues are presumably related to the problems reported last week which affected both older versions of OS X and iOS 6 versions of FaceTime.

Apple, however, has not yet addressed the problems with FaceTime that are in iOS 6. While it is encouraging that Apple released an update for FaceTime for OS X 10.6, Apple support's recommendations for iOS 6 users has been to upgrade to iOS 7. One user has quoted Apple support as saying that the only fix for iOS 6 is to upgrade to the latest version of iOS 7, with no current plans to release a fix on iOS 6 or iOS 5.

According to Apple's updated FaceTime troubleshooting page, users who are still having trouble with the application are recommended to update to the latest version of iOS or OS X.

Article Link: Apple Fixes FaceTime on Older Versions of OS X, iOS 6 Still Not Working

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Ah, I love seeing that icon again. Come to think of it, why would a camera have a lense embedded in the side of it?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
As an iPod Touch 4 owner, this really sucks. The iPT4 never got an upgrade to iOS 7, and was heavily marketed as an inexpensive way to FaceTime. Thanks, Apple! :mad:

It got an update to iOS 6 (and bug fixes through February 2014). A lot of people didn't think it would make it that far. It only has 256MB RAM, and no device supported by iOS 7 has less than 512MB of RAM.

The original iPad has similar hardware and runs quite a bit faster, but was dropped at iOS 5.1.1.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
As an iPod Touch 4 owner, this really sucks. The iPT4 never got an upgrade to iOS 7, and was heavily marketed as an inexpensive way to FaceTime. Thanks, Apple! :mad:

I would imagine that they will fix it eventually. What I don't like is how they pretend to be perfect. I'm sure they are aware of the issue.. So why is it hard to acknowledge the issue and assure customers that they are going to resolve the issue?

With the Apple TV issue, I'm sure they were aware of the issue (otherwise, they couldn't fix a problem that they didn't know about) but they would rather not let their customers who spend lots of money on their products be assured about a resolution.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
It got an update to iOS 6 (and bug fixes through February 2014). A lot of people didn't think it would make it that far. It only has 256MB RAM, and no device supported by iOS 7 has less than 512MB of RAM.

The original iPad has similar hardware and runs quite a bit faster, but was dropped at iOS 5.1.1.

Not getting updates and having a working service stop working, only to have a company suggest a "solution" that isn't possible for some users (by no fault of their own) is unacceptable. Apple needs to fix it, they can't just stop allowing major services to function. I believe it is some bug that is being worked out and there will be a patch soon. Whoever suggested upgrading to iOS 7 is likely a support rep with no knowledge of the bug causing the problem.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
At last...!!! Something for Snow Leopard... :D:D

But then again it was brought up to fix something that went haywire, not a security update... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts

Thats also not a valid excuse. Who was cheap and put only 256MB of RAM in the iPad and 4th gen iPod touch? Yup, Apple did!:rolleyes:

Those devices even when they ran iOS 4 (not even the max OS allowed) still sucked when using tabs in Safari. Constantly reloading, some sites wouldn't load with out Safari crashing thanks to the lack of RAM.

Apple could have doubled it to 512MB like the iPhone 4 for pretty much nothing.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I would imagine that they will fix it eventually. What I don't like is how they pretend to be perfect. I'm sure they are aware of the issue.. So why is it hard to acknowledge the issue and assure customers that they are going to resolve the issue?

With the Apple TV issue, I'm sure they were aware of the issue (otherwise, they couldn't fix a problem that they didn't know about) but they would rather not let their customers who spend lots of money on their products be assured about a resolution.

Because it probably wouldn't reach the majority of their customers, limiting it to a small minority who surf Apple websites like this or happen to follow them on Twitter or Facebook.

I mean what do you expect, a banner on Apple.com? A push notification?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They have to make FaceTime more intuitive at least for the Mac

The UI is a bit unconventional, but it's not difficult to use. I just wish it supported a floating window so that I could use other apps without the FaceTime window being hidden underneath.

----------

Welp I guess no more FaceTime for me. It was fun while it lasted guys ✌

Apple released an iOS 6 update as recently as February, so it's likely they will release a fix. There's many iPod touch 4 users out there still. Have faith.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Don't understand the logic behind different network facetime for iOS 6 & 7.

Apple support's recommendations for iOS 6 users has been to upgrade to iOS 7

Cheap trick to get people to upgrade.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So does this apply to devices that cannot upgrade to iOS 7 or is it just those devices that can run iOS 7 but users have chosen not to upgrade? If it's the former they for sure need to fix it. If it's the latter you're probably screwed. But staying on iOS 6 indefinitely is pointless IMO because the ship has sailed and you're not getting an iOS 6 style UI back. So if iOS 7 bothers you that much then I guess it's off to Android or Windows Phone for you. Or you keep the phone you have and don't upgrade.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Welp I guess no more FaceTime for me. It was fun while it lasted guys ✌

In the UK at least, you can still connect and use a 100 year old pulse dialling telephone.

With Apple we're supposed to grateful if something still works after 3 years. Progress :rolleyes:

snprintf

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
Ah, I love seeing that icon again. Come to think of it, why would a camera have a lense embedded in the side of it?

Haha, same reason there would exist a "FaceTime Audio" mode.

But what's this about fixing it in older versions of OS X? How about ADDING it to older versions of OS X? It only works in the few newest ones. Oh yeah, and they should add it to iChat/Messages already.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Upgrade to iOS 7 to fix something they just broke so that they can push the rest of us into iOS 7? NO WAY.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Because it probably wouldn't reach the majority of their customers, limiting it to a small minority who surf Apple websites like this or happen to follow them on Twitter or Facebook.

I mean what do you expect, a banner on Apple.com? A push notification?

yes the sit on your hands method apple implements really is the best by far.

considering facetime needs an apple id (ie an email address) for signup and login they could you know email the people affected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.