Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Chinese and Taiwanese media sources, Apple again is contracting with Catcher Technology to supply metal casings for the company's future smartphones, including the rumored iPhone 6. First noticed by GforGames, these reports were published this week in the Taipei Times and The China Post.

iphone6.jpg
Most notably, Catcher is predicted to supply Apple with 10.5 million iPhone 6 casings and 20 million casings for other iPhone models in 2014. These figures are thought to represent 15 percent of the total casings needed for the iPhone 6, suggesting Apple could ship as many as 70 million iPhone 6 units by the end of the year.

Barclays Capital made a similar prediction, noting that Catcher is expected to boost its production between 20 and 40 percent to meet demand for the iPhone 6 in the midst of tight supply. Apple is one of Catcher's larger clients, contributing approximately 40 percent to the supplier's revenue.
Barclays said it expects Apple's next-generation smartphone to be launched in the second half of the year and that shipments of the new model will be 35 to 40 percent higher than the previous one.

Catcher is likely to receive between 10 and 20 percent of the casing orders for the new iPhone, which should help lift its earnings in the second half of the year, Barclays said in a report.
Recent analysis suggests interest in a large-screen iPhone 6 is high in both North America and China, where demand for the iPhone 5s is waning and interest in the iPhone 6 is on the rise. The iPhone 6 is expected to debut this fall with a 4.7-inch display, Apple's A8 processor, an improved Touch ID fingerprint sensor and iOS 8.

Article Link: Catcher to Supply Apple With iPhone 6 Casings as Sales Estimates Climb to 70 Million

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Maybe for some people

I'm pretty sure demand for a large-screen iPhone 6 is all around the world.

Maybe some people do, but I would honestly prefer going back to iPhone 4/4s/3G/3GS/original screen size. I know many others, who also prefer the smaller more compact screen size. A phone is for the pocket, and I can't fit an iPad in my pocket.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The first few weeks shortage of the 5S was horrible. It looks like this year is gonna be twice as worse, unless Apple somehow boost production rate :D

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

I feel like the 3 major reasons for people not wanting an iPhone or switching away from an iPhone are:

1. Screen size
2. Dislike of iOS (lack of customization)
3. Poor battery life (no user replaceable battery)

But I think the majority of people just want a later screen. Apple is going to sell BOATLOADS of iPhones later this year because of the larger screen alone. And they'll still sell a smaller size (5s/5c) so they can please that crowd too.

bsolar

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Maybe some people do, but I would honestly prefer going back to iPhone 4/4s/3G/3GS/original screen size. I know many others, who also prefer the smaller more compact screen size. A phone is for the pocket, and I can't fit an iPad in my pocket.

A 4.7" model with reduced bezels would be only slightly larger than the current 4" screen iPhone. That's the model I'll most likely get if it actually matches the rumors.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I feel like the 3 major reasons for people not wanting an iPhone or switching away from an iPhone are:

1. Screen size
2. Dislike of iOS (lack of customization)
3. Poor battery life (no user replaceable battery)

But I think the majority of people just want a later screen. Apple is going to sell BOATLOADS of iPhones later this year because of the larger screen alone. And they'll still sell a smaller size (5s/5c) so they can please that crowd too.

totally agree.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Then it's a good thing that larger phones are nowhere near the size of an iPad, and that even the larger phablets fit in most people's pockets.

View attachment 469671

Folks, it's perfectly okay to say that you want a small phone. There's no need to add poor comparisons or incorrect claims, to justify it.

Most people I see that are phablet owners are carrying them.
Why? Size, phones go straight in the pocket. A friend of mine had a Galaxy, (could have been any phone let's not make this into a Samsung thing), and I asked why he always carries it whilst he was never seen with his old phone. Initially he said he doesn't know, but later said that the size made it feel slightly unnatural in his pocket. Yes he could get it in there but it doesn't slip in with great ease.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I was all for the larger screen until I got my rMini. Now I love the 5/5S and Mini combo in sizes. 5/5S for pocket-ability and rMini for the larger screen needs (while still being portable).

Of course I can see how many people would prefer to just have one device that can cover both needs. :)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Mate... Exaggerated on purpose

Then it's a good thing that larger phones are nowhere near the size of an iPad, and that even the larger phablets fit in most people's pockets.

View attachment 469671

Folks, it's perfectly okay to say that you want a small phone. There's no need to add poor comparisons or incorrect claims, to justify it.

Ever heard the saying "exaggeration promotes understanding? I realize that an iPad is way larger than a 4.7 or even 5.5 inch phone, but it's still stretching it, to the point of which it would be uncomfortable to have in your pockets, and extremely easy slip out. The pocket thing isn't my biggest problem though, it's not being able to use it with one hand. I can't, contrary to what the Apple video said, reach the upper left corner of an iPhone 5, while holding it with one hand. I mean, I can if I'm willing to open my hand to the point of mildly annoying pain, but I'm not.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014

You may like the 3.5 inch iPhones but that doesn't make 4.7 inches anywhere even remotely close to an iPad.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You may like the 3.5 inch iPhones but that doesn't make 4.7 inches anywhere even remotely close to an iPad.

I think he knows that. The question is whether the larger form factor is pocketable, comfortable to hold in your hand, and a realistic substitute for an iPad. I also tend to think not, and personally wonder why those huge Android phones are so popular. But I don't think anyone is questioning whether they are popular.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
I think he knows that. The question is whether the larger form factor is pocketable and comfortable to hold in your hand. I also tend to think not, and personally wonder why those huge Android phones are so popular. But I don't think anyone is questioning whether they are popular.

Simply because they are just amazing for everything besides one handed use. If apple don't make huge bezels, it should be just fine for pocketability too.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Ever heard the saying "exaggeration promotes understanding? I realize that an iPad is way larger than a 4.7 or even 5.5 inch phone, but it's still stretching it, to the point of which it would be uncomfortable to have in your pockets, and extremely easy slip out.

On the contrary... many of us have had 4.7" phones for years now, and they usually fit even easier than iPhones, because they're usually more curved.

As for 5+" phablets, they still fit in shirt and coat pockets okay, but yes, they are more noticeable in a pants pocket.

The pocket thing isn't my biggest problem though, it's not being able to use it with one hand. I can't, contrary to what the Apple video said, reach the upper left corner of an iPhone 5, while holding it with one hand. I mean, I can if I'm willing to open my hand to the point of mildly annoying pain, but I'm not.

Doesn't using one hand kind of negate the whole multi-touch thing? :)

Still, there's all sorts of ways to help with using one hand.

First off, Android (and every other mobile OS for the past decade and a half) were smart enough to include a Back button... so Apple is attempting to add gestures to substitute.

Another option is to add cursor pad controls, again a piece of common sense design that was figured out long ago, yet largely tossed out because of the iPhone. However, even Apple has mentioned enabling this in their Touch Id patents.

Other options come to mind, such as presenting a virtual screen or cursor pad.

Samsung's phablets have one-handed options to present a smaller keyboard shifted to one side, so it's just like having your regular keyboard size. They also let you show a smaller resized version of the screen to interact with, if you wish. Of course, the whole point of a phablet is not to use it one-handed.

The upshot is, there are ways to make one-handed usage available, if Apple wants to.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Simply because they are just amazing for everything besides one handed use. If apple don't make huge bezels, it should be just fine for pocketability too.

How amazing it is depends on what you like to carry in your pockets. Personally, I don't like to have my pockets loaded out. I prefer a smaller phone, and to carry my iPad, when needed, in a guy bag. YMMV.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
No offense

On the contrary... many of us have had 4.7" phones for years now, and they usually fit even easier than iPhones, because they're usually more curved.

As for 5+" phablets, they still fit in shirt and coat pockets okay, but yes, they are more noticeable in a pants pocket.

Doesn't using one hand kind of negate the whole multi-touch thing? :)

Still, there's all sorts of ways to help with using one hand.

First off, Android (and every other mobile OS for the past decade and a half) were smart enough to include a Back button... so Apple is attempting to add gestures to substitute.

Another option is to add cursor pad controls, again a piece of common sense design that was figured out long ago, yet largely tossed out because of the iPhone. However, even Apple has mentioned enabling this in their Touch Id patents.

Other options come to mind, such as presenting a virtual screen or cursor pad.

Samsung's phablets have one-handed options to present a smaller keyboard shifted to one side, so it's just like having your regular keyboard size. They also let you show a smaller resized version of the screen to interact with, if you wish. Of course, the whole point of a phablet is not to use it one-handed.

The upshot is, there are ways to make one-handed usage available, if Apple wants to.

No offense to you, I'm sure some of these ideas would fit some people, but I find the utterly disgusting, and would rather have a 1990's Nokia than a phone with those ideas implemented.

----------

How amazing it is depends on what you like to carry in your pockets. Personally, I don't like to have my pockets loaded out. I prefer a smaller phone, and to carry my iPad, when needed, in a guy bag. YMMV.

Exactly what I'm going for! Let's face it, you're never going to do any serious work on a phone. It's not exactly the ideal platform for Keynote and Numbers, is it? It's great that it has productivity and creative apps, so that you can quickly see your work, or make quick drafts or whatever, but you'll be using a Mac or maybe even an iPad for the serious stuff, so there's no reason to carry a 100inch phone. (Greatly exaggerated I know, but I'm making a point here).

kdarling

macrumors P6
No offense to you, I'm sure some of these ideas would fit some people, but I find the utterly disgusting, and would rather have a 1990's Nokia than a phone with those ideas implemented.

No offense taken!

I can fully understand if someone likes the idea of a phone small enough to work the entire screen only a single handed thumb. (In fact, the tiny 2002 Neonode was designed along those lines.)

I'm less sure, if Apple implemented a trackpad on their Touch Id, that people would it disgusting. If sliding over it highlighted different buttons on the screen, and/or scrolled, I think it'd actually be quite popular with one-handed users.

As for including a smaller onscreen keyboard option for one-handed use, it's almost guaranteed if Apple does make a phablet.

None of this takes away from the current UI. It all simply allows the user to either use two hands, stretch a bit with one hand, or stretch not at all with one hand. Up to the user.

Regards!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

"I need my phone to fit nicely in my pocket" has to be weighed a little differently these days. 2 or 3 years ago I wanted a phone that fit nicely in my pocket and was small and compact. And even today I don't want a Note sized screen on my phone. But as times change. Media is being consumed totally differently then it was even 2-3 years ago. And I think you have to take that into consideration. Bigger screens make consuming media easier and gives you a better overall experience. 4.7" seems perfect to me. I could never see myself with a 5+" phone. But it's the trend right now. A lot of people are liking the bigger screen to email, browse the web, watch tv, etc. I bet the trend for all phones is bigger over the next couple years.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Changes nothing.

"I need my phone to fit nicely in my pocket" has to be weighed a little differently these days. 2 or 3 years ago I wanted a phone that fit nicely in my pocket and was small and compact. And even today I don't want a Note sized screen on my phone. But as times change. Media is being consumed totally differently then it was even 2-3 years ago. And I think you have to take that into consideration. Bigger screens make consuming media easier and gives you a better overall experience. 4.7" seems perfect to me. I could never see myself with a 5+" phone. But it's the trend right now. A lot of people are liking the bigger screen to email, browse the web, watch tv, etc. I bet the trend for all phones is bigger over the next couple years.

In my head, nothing has changed. Web, E-mail, reading and more works perfectly fine on a 3,5" screen for me, and for consuming video content I'll use an iPad or something instead. Even with a large phone, I'd never really use it for video. A phone is a phone, a tablet a tablet, and a computer a computer. Let us not be Microsoft, and try to do "one size fits all"(Yes, I realize the irony, in that I want a phone that's 3,5", and argues that Apple shouldn't release two new size options... Or at least not remove the option for a smaller one). I just can't see why you need your phone to replace your 55" inch television for watching TV. Why can't we just let a phone be true to what it is? Yeah, I'm glad that iPhone came along, and gave me great apps to use on my phone, but the apps that came from that are only great when they are compatible with the platform, such as replying to an emergency e-mail, or sending a tweet. When you make a movie in iMove, write a paper in Pages, or watch Frozen for the 5th time, you do it on a Mac, or with the last one, an iPad, not on your phone, so the need for a bigger screen doesn't exist (in my world that is. All is subjective, and I'm not trying to be an ass, saying you're wrong and my truth is an absolute one.)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

The demand for netbooks was world wide too. But Apple did the right thing and released the iPad instead. I wonder if Apple will release a phablet or a phablet beating product this year.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
What all of the opinions on here highlight is that Apple needs to provide a choice. They haven't in the phablet category and they've allowed other manufacturers to grab market share. They seem to have this obsession with minimizing SKUs, probably a remnant of Steve's in house cleaning when he took over in the late 90s and killed most of Apple's product lineup. But I think at some point, especially in a competitive market, you need to provide consumers with a great experience AND plenty of choice. It's not enough to say, "well we think you should all be stuck with 4 inch displays because it's more usable with one hand." Sure, but there are plenty of people who don't care about using their phone one handed and you've lost their business by not giving them a choice of phones with large screens that require two hands to operate.

I remember when Dell released phablets that no one really cared about for a variety of reasons. People viewed those as silly. Now they're the norm. Funny how timing is everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.