Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular messaging service Viber today updated its iOS app to version 4.2, bringing a redesigned user interface for iOS 7 in addition to various new features. The app now includes multiple media sharing that allows users to send multiple photos and videos at once, in addition to the ability to block users and send longer video messages. A cross platform typing indicator has also been added.

viber_ios7_redesign-800x576.png
- Completely redesigned for iOS 7! The new look and feel is consistent with the aesthetic of iOS 7 that iPhone users have grown accustomed to.
- Multiple media sharing in one flow. No more back and forth media sharing! Now you can send and edit up to 10 photos and videos at a time!
- Block list. Users can now block contacts they do not know and those that they do not wish to be contacted by. To learn more about managing your block list, click here.
- Send longer video messages. You can now send videos of up to three (3) minutes long.
- Typing indicator. Know when your contacts are typing a message to you on Android tablet, Linux, Mac, PC or Windows 8.
- Bug fixes.
According to the most recent statistics, Viber has over 105 million monthly active users and receives 550,000 sign ups daily. The service was acquired by Japanese Internet company Rakuten in February for $900 million, and launched a new desktop application for Mac and PC last February.

Viber is a free download for iOS devices and can be downloaded through App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Viber Updates iOS App with Redesigned User Interface, Multiple Media Sharing

artuuur

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Portugal
So Viber managed to update its app to match iOS 7, only one month (and a few days) from iOS 8 being announced :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Can someone fill me in on what's the big deal with apps like this and Whatsapp? I know 0 people who use it and I'm still on iMessage. What am I missing?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can someone fill me in on what's the big deal with apps like this and Whatsapp? I know 0 people who use it and I'm still on iMessage. What am I missing?

Viber and WhatsApp are FAR better at fun chat than iMessage, which is completely boring when it comes to chat, not to mention the cross-platform support.

I use all three on a near-daily basis... iMessage, Viber and WhatApp. I never understood the draw of WhatsApp (or Viber) until I started using them, and now I can't drop them. Just too good for messaging.

Each has its strengths. Viber is my favourite with its support for stickers and VoIP voice calls. Viber also has a doodling feature and occasionally has treats like animated messages where an animated character of your choice lip-syncs to your own words. It's a lot of fun. WhatApp's recorded voice messaging feature works better than Viber (haven't tried this new version yet), and doesn't have as many fun features. iMessages is boring next to these two.

So, for plain texting, all three are identical, except Viber has its own emoticons which are better than the standard run-of-the-mill emoticons. Sadly, it doesn't support standard emoticons for some reason. To have truly entertaining chats, Viber is king.

Aero Leviathan

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2010
How about an iPad version, guys? Some of us like to type on a larger keyboard when one is available. This is what's keeping me and my friends on GroupMe. (No iMessage because not everyone has Apple devices. Plus, Messages lacks per-conversation notification settings.)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Sounds like Apple needs to buy one of these guys. Before Google does.

I guess I need to use the apps as my first go-to messaging app to see what the point is.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So Viber managed to update its app to match iOS 7, only one month (and a few days) from iOS 8 being announced :rolleyes:

There's been very little reason to update Viber's UI. It was already excellent and fit in well enough with iOS 7. No complaints from me, except I did notice a slight lag when switching to the app, so I hope that's been fixed in this new version.

UPDATE: Viber did an *excellent* job adopting the flatter UI while keeping it fun and unique. Superb job!

Last edited:

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Viber and WhatsApp are FAR better at fun chat than iMessage, which is completely boring when it comes to chat, not to mention the cross-platform support.

I use all three on a near-daily basis... iMessage, Viber and WhatApp. I never understood the draw of WhatsApp (or Viber) until I started using them, and now I can't drop them. Just too good for messaging.

Each has its strengths. Viber is my favourite with its support for stickers and VoIP voice calls. Viber also has a doodling feature and occasionally has treats like animated messages where an animated character of your choice lip-syncs to your own words. It's a lot of fun. WhatApp's recorded voice messaging feature works better than Viber (haven't tried this new version yet), and doesn't have as many fun features. iMessages is boring next to these two.

So, for plain texting, all three are identical, except Viber has its own emoticons which are better than the standard run-of-the-mill emoticons. Sadly, it doesn't support standard emoticons for some reason. To have truly entertaining chats, Viber is king.

Personally I rate the content of the messages far more than the ability to send stickers and have animated characters lip sync what I say…

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like Apple needs to buy one of these guys. Before Google does.

I guess I need to use the apps as my first go-to messaging app to see what the point is.

WhatsApp was just bought by Facebook for $19 BILLION last month! Yup, you read that right.

----------

Personally I rate the content of the messages far more than the ability to send stickers and have animated characters lip sync what I say…

It's about adding fun to chat. When you chat on a daily basis, these added features really spice it up in new dimensions. I use Viber for my favourite two people (girlfriend and her son)... that's it. They are on the other side of the world, so chat is all we have. I use iMessages and its boring "business-like" chat for everyone else in my world. :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
There's been very little reason to update Viber's UI. It was already excellent and fit in well enough with iOS 7. No complaints from me, except I did notice a slight lag when switching to the app, so I hope that's been fixed in this new version.

UPDATE: Viber did an *excellent* job adopting the flatter UI while keeping it fun and unique. Superb job!

it still had the old keyboard which annoyed me the most and the camera through their app was laggy. soooo glad it has FINALLY been updated

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
WhatsApp was just bought by Facebook for $19 BILLION last month! Yup, you read that right.

Yes, I know. That's why I'm wondering what the craze is. I don't seeing "stickers" or what not through messaging. I'm just a text and send a couple of photos kind of key. Maybe some contact info. I'm old school I guess.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Simple, you are missing people that don’t have iPhones.

With this and 1Password, what takes so long to do an iOS 7 update?

I’ve heard from one developer that it’s not as straightforward as people think it is, especially if you intend to support older versions of iOS as well. Not to mention that it’s still a bit of a challenge to make a good flat design. I’ve seen lots of apps who just don’t do it good enough. It’s an investment nonetheless and Viber was working just fine.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

iMessage only works between Apple devices. Viber/WhatsApp works for all devices. If everyone you communicate with has Apple devices then you are not missing out on anything.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
iMessage only works between Apple devices. Viber/WhatsApp works for all devices. If everyone you communicate with has Apple devices then you are not missing out on anything.

That's where I get lost. I've sent plenty of texts, pics, and video to non iPhone (mainly Android) users and they get them just fine. The only issue is the emoticons from my iPhone don't translate over the same.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
That's where I get lost. I've sent plenty of texts, pics, and video to non iPhone (mainly Android) users and they get them just fine. The only issue is the emoticons from my iPhone don't translate over the same.

But those are then SMSes, not iMessages (green vs. blue difference in Messages.app), and do not go over 3G/LTE/WiFi.

Imagine the difference in your monthly phone bill if you are texting with someone on the other side of a planet vs. in your country in using regular SMSes or Viber/WhatsApp/iMessage/emails/similar. Or if you find yourself abroad and have access to a free wifi point.

That's where Viber, WhatsApp, iMessage and similar step in ;). So there you have it also why it sucks that iMessage is Apple-only.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
But those are then SMSes, not iMessages (green vs. blue difference in Messages.app), and do not go over 3G/LTE/WiFi.

Imagine the difference in your monthly phone bill if you are texting with someone on the other side of a planet vs. in your country in using regular SMSes or Viber/WhatsApp/iMessage/emails/similar. Or if you find yourself abroad and have access to a free wifi point.

That's where Viber, WhatsApp, iMessage and similar step in ;). So there you have it also why it sucks that iMessage is Apple-only.

Ok got it. So can I use Viber/Whatsapp even if the person I'm sending a text to doesn't have it. When I receive a text, does it come through the app or still through iMessage? Will I get 2 texts of the same message (one for iMessage, one for Whatsapp)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Ok got it. So can I use Viber/Whatsapp even if the person I'm sending a text to doesn't have it. When I receive a text, does it come through the app or still through iMessage? Will I get 2 texts of the same message (one for iMessage, one for Whatsapp)

Apps like Viber/WhatsApp require the other person to have the app installed as well. All chat messages go through internet eliminating the need to have a text/SMS plan. Oh, and all messages are received/sent through the app. Built-in messaging app won't be used.

Also, "iMessage" is a service. Messages in the app you are using. Your texts to non-Apple users are reaching as a SMS and not as an "iMessage".

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
With this and 1Password, what takes so long to do an iOS 7 update?

Sometime i dont know what these developers do whole day, i'm sure app like Viber will not take 7-8 months just to update the UI.

Have either one of you done any programming? If yes, have you ever done any design work? If yes, have you done it on an existing app?

It is far easier to make a brand new iOS 7 app than it is to throw out an existing custom design, recode the interface to match iOS 7 and then ensure no regressions are created. You can't just swap it out, you have to code the new interface in.

It doesn't take days, it takes many months to do it properly.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Too late. I had already deleted it from my iPhone..

Though the main reason I deleted it was they would send messages every now and then advertising stickers. Who the hell buys bloody stickers? Most ridiculous thing ever, even if there is fools who buy it.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Too late. I had already deleted it from my iPhone..

Though the main reason I deleted it was they would send messages every now and then advertising stickers. Who the hell buys bloody stickers? Most ridiculous thing ever, even if there is fools who buy it.

Perhaps mostly kids and teenagers? Maybe some adults too who thinks it's fun- Why is that so strange to you? Oh, never mind…

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

What does this matter? It's not like iOS 8 is going to have a massively different UI from 7. They're not even done changing over icons and everything to the one presented in 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.