Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've seen several examples of cases designed for the rumored 4.7-inch version of the upcoming iPhone 6, and in a new video, Unbox Therapy compares a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 case to the iPhone 5s, the Nexus 5 and the Galaxy Note 3, giving us an idea of how the iPhone 6 might look next to other large-screened devices.

The 4.7-inch case is depicted next to the 4-inch iPhone 5s, the 4.95-inch Nexus 5, and the 5.7-inch Galaxy Note 3. The case is closest in size to the Nexus 5, which gives the best representation of how a 4.7-inch iPhone may feel in the hand. The iPhone 5s looks quite a bit smaller than the case, while the Galaxy Note 3 looks significantly larger.

Along with a size comparison, the video points out some of the design features on the case, which may translate to design changes on the iPhone 6. As has been pointed out in other case and part leaks, the sleep/wake button has been moved from the top right of the device to the right side.

Rumors have suggested the sleep/wake button might be relocated in order to improve one-handed use on a larger device, and the volume buttons might be altered as well, gaining a rectangular iPad-mini-style shape rather than the existing circular buttons on the iPhone 5s.

The iPhone 6 case is also noted to be quite thin, which is in line with previous rumors about the device. According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the iPhone 6 could be significantly thinner than the existing 7.6mm iPhone 5s at 6.5-7.0mm and it may also have a narrower bezel.

iphone-6-side-800x536.jpg
Rendering of the iPhone 6 in both 4.7 and 5.7-inch sizes​
Apple is expected to ship the iPhone 6 in two different sizes, the 4.7-inch version described in the video and also a 5.5-inch version that has reportedly seen some production delays. While the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 may make its debut as soon as September, the 5.5-inch version may not ship until 2015.

Along with a thinner profile, multiple sizes, and a narrower bezel, the iPhone 6 might include a sapphire crystal screen, an A8 processor, and camera improvements in the form of optical image stabilization.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Case Compared to iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 and Galaxy Note 3 in New Video

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol at it being bigger than the Nexus 5 which has a 5.0 screen ... :rolleyes:

stupid homebutton and camera above the grill

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Every time I see that CG mockup of the supposed iPhone 6, I've got to laugh.

Who among us believes Apple would revert to the smaller circular camera flash after having adopted the superior pill-shaped flash?

So, why show it this way in the mockup? Just because the the "leaked" schematics showed it that way?

Silly.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I'm stoked, I can see myself carrying it. To the naysayers, I don't think this is too radical to really happen compared to past case rumors. Fingers crossed for June but September works too. :)

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
If true, me likes!!!

To me, that's the perfect size. I don't want a pancake, but I do most everything on the iPhone so the extra real estate is most welcome as long as the form factor hits the sweet spot!

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I am not a fan of big phones. If this is in fact the new iPhone I will not be purchasing one. I think the iPhone 5 S screen size and comfort in holding is perfect.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Enough with these stupid third party case/concept designs stories already. They barely deserve a side bar mention.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Gross, the case makes it look like an Android, and that is totally not what I want my iPhone to look like.

Aluminum 4tw.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Isn't it funny now apple is making a larger phone.

It was only a couple of years ago that Phil Schiller was telling us that wide, large phones are no good for ergonomics.

Another fail on Apple's part.

Apple has seriously run out of ideas - look at the rate they are buying other companies as well.

Unless there are must have iOs apps that you have, make the jump to android now. I did and never looked back.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
It's kind of ironic that Apple's phones are so beautifully designed yet are very often inserted into the most cheap and ugly bumpers so that for the entire time of ownership the user does not even get to appreciate the handfeel of the phone.

The case should fit on the outside of the phone...

Agreed, it wouldn't be much use on the inside.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
It's kind of ironic that Apple's phones are so beautifully designed yet are very often inserted into the most cheap and ugly bumpers so that for the entire time of ownership the user does not even get to appreciate the handfeel of the phone.

Agreed, it wouldn't be much use on the inside.

Ever since i switched to T-mobile Jump and bought myself a Nexus5 i don't bother using a case..Its what my company pays 10 bucks a month for :) will do the same when i pick up a T_mobile iphone 6 this fall..

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Isn't it funny now apple is making a larger phone.

It was only a couple of years ago that Phil Schiller was telling us that wide, large phones are no good for ergonomics.

Another fail on Apple's part.

Apple has seriously run out of ideas - look at the rate they are buying other companies as well.

Unless there are must have iOs apps that you have, make the jump to android now. I did and never looked back.

You act as if Google isn't buying tons of companies either.

Bayshun

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2014
Couldn't you just go to the store and hold your iPhone 5/5S next to any one of the numerous 4.7 inch phones to get a comparison? Are these official Apple cases, or are they just some mock up, or third-party cased based on rumors?

All this video seems to say is, "we believe that the rumored 4.7 inch iPhone 6 will be 4.7 inches, like the other 4.7 inch phones out there. This our theory based on a possible case some person somewhere out there made."

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
You act as if Google isn't buying tons of companies either.

they are buying even more. Google fans often point to apple's slow pace in acquiring companies compared to google and facebook as being the reason they see apple going down, when its convenient. Other times they show that apple going outside for "capability" as being a shoreshot sign that they do not have anythinge exciting inside..

It seems apple aint going anywhere unless they buy a drone maker..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.