Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Prong, the company behind the iPhone case with a built-in plug for easy charging, today announced an expansion to its product line up, debuting the Prong PWR case.

Like its existing PocketPlug combo cases, the PWR case includes an integrated plug for charging the iPhone, but it also comes equipped with a 1500 mAh detachable backup battery that can be used to charge the iPhone when it is away from a power source. The backup battery itself can also be detached and recharged via its built-in plug.

prongpwrcase.jpg
The Prong PWR Case includes a detachable backup battery and integrated plugs for charging in any outlet, along with a Micro USB port and cable. The backup battery is easily detachable and can be recharged without any additional accessories while the smartphone remains with the user, safe in the inner-protective bumper.

No matter how much someone uses their phone, they can have power all day with the Prong PWR case and their phone never has to leave their side. The battery can be detached and plugged into any outlet to be recharged whenever needed. Once the back-up battery is charged, it quickly reconnects to the back of the case and the phone can then be recharged while on the go.
The case itself comes in multiple colors (black, white, blue-gray, and white-pink) and can be used with or without the battery pack attached, protecting the iPhone from scratches and drops. Designed for the iPhone 5 and 5s, the case also has a retractable A/C plug that folds down flat when it is not in use, and the battery pack utilizes "Quick Charge Technology" to deliver fast charging.

prong2.jpg
The Prong PWR Case can be preordered from the Prong website for $65, but will retail for $80. It will ship during the summer of 2014.

Article Link: Prong Debuts iPhone 'PWR Case' With Built-In Plug and Backup Battery

niw3

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Good thing we have cheap plug adaptors

Edit: According to Prong FAQ, it works with 110-240 Volts AC and plug adaptors indeed are all we need.

Last edited:

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Those prongs are handy for sticking into anything soft, such as a pumpkin or a dead animal, to act as a hands-free holder.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I actually really, really like the look and functionality if this... just not keen on spending that much money when the next iPhone with a different form factor is right around the corner.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I love my iphone 5s. I was surprised by how much the change in weight and thinness really made it feel better in my hand. For me bulky covers are not an option and this one will add weight as well. So unfortunately there is no way this would ever be on my list. Instead, I hope Apple continues to work on the battery life because I want a sexy sleek phone that last forever. Not bulk and heavy addons.

I know, this is just my opinion.....

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
One of the few idea that I actually like. However, for a iPhone 5 owner, I'm due for my upgrade in a few month. Maybe they will come out with one for the next iPhone sooner.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I actually really, really like the look and functionality if this... just not keen on spending that much money when the next iPhone with a different form factor is right around the corner.

Precisely. Why design this with just an iphone 5 in mind? Simply remove all that plastic surround and make it a simple flat base that can accommodate any sized iphone.

Maybe that would bring the price down to a more affordable level as well.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

Agreed, and that is quite often the case with useful or tempting 3rd party accessories; it just seems to take that long to get a worthwhile add-on to market. Shame really.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Agreed, and that is quite often the case with useful or tempting 3rd party accessories; it just seems to take that long to get a worthwhile add-on to market. Shame really.

In my experience, power cases are normally introduced right as the model of iPhone they're made for is no longer able to make it more than ~6 hours on a full charge of their original battery.

IE, I bought my 3GS power case came out right when I needed it, right when I found that unplugging my iPhone 3GS at 6AM would see it run out of juice at noon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.