Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TNSF

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
There's a sizable contingent of iOS users who opted to stick with iOS 6 over iOS 7 due to the drastic visual changes introduced with the operating system update...

No, not really.

iOS 7 adoption is at >80% of compatible devices. Of those remaining I doubt many are consciously choosing to avoid iOS 7. Most are probably just lazy and haven't bothered to do the upgrade. That leaves just a small fraction of users who are clinging to iOS 6 on purpose, and only a subset of them might be using FaceTime. So in all, this impacts a small small number of users and the fix is easy. So deal with it.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
This whole stubbornness of refusing to upgrade iOS 7 because of its new look is ridiculas and has gone on for too long. I got news for you, they're not changing the look anytime soon and if you want to buy an iPhone 6 this fall, your gonna have to get over it.

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
Thats another grumble, how it's a headline news article based on a set of scenario's that affect such a TINY proportion of current iOS users, and that TINY percentage are not those who frequent sites like this, so the target audience for this article MUST be people wanting to witness an angry mob arguing over things that do not affect them?

Or am I being picky now ?:p:p

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
I must be naive. Why can't Apple just update the certificate?

Most likely the certificates are part of the base install of the os and not something they designed to be easily updated on their own. The software update feature of iOS only supports updating to the latest version available for the device, which if you have a device that supports 7, is 7.x.x. They don't support the average user downloading the os image and installing it manually. So its easier to just tell you to update to the latest (7 for devices that support it).

They probably also don't want to support 6 on older devices that can run 7 any more, and why should they? 6 is basically in security patch mode at this point and all their new feature development efforts will be going into 7.

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Why do people who refuse to upgrade anger the fanbois so much? A lot of people hate ios7, the fanbois need to keep their ocd to themselves and mind their own business.

iNosey

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
I am totally with Apple on this decision. Why people haven't upgraded to 7 is beyond me... iOS 6's design got old. People are scared because the icons change. They're just icons people! Look at all the new features you get! So picky.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Gutted. But not unexpected. Just when I think Apple's software support can't get any worse, it does.

At least Skype still works.

iNosey

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Bad form Apple. Using a screw up to force iOS upgrades on older devices is ... lame.

Fix iOS 6.

Why should they? Why can't people just update. That's the whole point of an update. People like you get mad because Apple pushes out updates, yet samsung, who doesn't push updates, is totally unpatched and no one bashes them. Just update. It's not a big deal. So the icons change, so what? They're amazing. iOS 7 is by far the best.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
LOL awesome! I can't wait to hear the whining! The tears of the luddities are like sweet nectar. Honestly, this couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

I can't wait for your car, iphone and everything you have to break down when you will need them the most. Hahaha, that will be so awesome. It's super cool to enjoy other's misery. Too bad I won't be there with a camera. Because it will happen some day. Everyone gets it some way or the other.

iNosey

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Gutted. But not unexpected. Just when I think Apple's software support can't get any worse, it does.

At least Skype still works.

Be quiet. There's nothing wrong with "Apple's software." People are just scared because of change, change happens. We have to deal with it. Just update to 7... It's amazing. Apple's software is by far the best. Why don't you bash samsung instead of apple? They don't push updates out and patch holes. Their stinking Android OS has malware, phishing, and much more. Just be happy.

Last edited:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
In-house software continues to be problematic for Apple - time to out source.

Can't even sort through a certificate problem - what's that tell you?

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Did Apple say how long people still using iOS 6.1.6 would be able to make calls with Facetime?

iNosey

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Did Apple say how long people still using iOS 6.1.6 would be able to make calls with Facetime?

They'll be able to make FaceTime calls for now on, probably. If it's the highest you can go, it should continue to work.

mengel

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Kudos

Most likely the certificates are part of the base install of the os and not something they designed to be easily updated on their own. The software update feature of iOS only supports updating to the latest version available for the device, which if you have a device that supports 7, is 7.x.x. They don't support the average user downloading the os image and installing it manually. So its easier to just tell you to update to the latest (7 for devices that support it).

They probably also don't want to support 6 on older devices that can run 7 any more, and why should they? 6 is basically in security patch mode at this point and all their new feature development efforts will be going into 7.

Bravo! I'm not sure that this is correct, but it is a sensible (read: non-conspiracy theory), and concise description that really makes sense to me. Just wanted to give some kudos.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Be quiet. There's nothing wrong with "Apple's software." People are just scared because of change, change happens. We have to deal with it. Just update to 7... It's amazing. Apple's software is by far the best. Why don't you bash samsung instead of apple? They don't push updates out and patch holes. They're stinking Android OS has malware, phishing, and much more. Just be happy.

I really hoping that is sarcasm.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I am totally with Apple on this decision. Why people haven't upgraded to 7 is beyond me... iOS 6's design got old. People are scared because the icons change. They're just icons people! Look at all the new features you get! So picky.

Yep, they'll upgrade and think "why didn't I do this sooner?".

----------

Bad form Apple. Using a screw up to force iOS upgrades on older devices is ... lame.

Fix iOS 6.

Time to move on. Update to iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.