Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report from Mac Otakara yesterday claiming the iPhone 6 will feature a curved glass display and an all-aluminum rear shell, French website Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] and designer Martin Hajek have partnered up to showcase renders visualizing such a device based off of the recent information.

iphone_6_curved1-800x884.jpg
The renderings show an iPhone 6 that emphasizes rounded corners, complete with display glass that slightly wraps around the front of the device. Similar to other previous renders, the phone is shown with a power button on its upper right side, with rectangular volume controls on its left. The bottom of the device is also shown housing a headphone jack, Lightning port, and speaker.

iphone_6_curved2-800x382.jpg
To this point, multiple reports have indicated that the iPhone 6 will feature slightly rounded edges, which would be a departure from the straight edges seen on the iPhone 4 and 5s. However, only Bloomberg noted that the device will carry a curved glass display, with a report last December stating that Apple would be releasing two iPhones will large curved screens in the second half of 2014.

iphone_6_curved3-800x534.jpg
iPhone 5s (left) and iPhone 6 with curved glass display (right)​
Apple is expected to launch the iPhone 6 later this year in two different sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. According to recent reports, the 4.7-inch version will be the first to ship, while the larger 5.5-inch version will ship later as Apple attempts to solve issues with the phone's battery life and display.

Aside from a larger display, both models of the iPhone 6 are expected to feature a thinner profile, faster A8 processor, an improved camera with optical image stabilization, and Touch ID fingerprint sensor. According to Jefferies analyst Peter Misek, Apple is also negotiating with carriers for a $100 price increase on the iPhone 6.

Article Link: New iPhone 6 Renderings Highlight Curved Display, Rounded Corners

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not liking this at all, maybe its the gold band, but overall it does not have the classic lines that we have come to know and love on the current model

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Is it just me, or are these renderings getting progressively worse?

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
The first iphone 6 rendering that I like. Would get this in a heartbeat. Don't think the screen will have the curve though

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Curving the actual display display area would be the most wasteful idiotic and backwards thing they could possibly do.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
If this is anywhere to be believed, then the home button and the ear piece area make the phone look terrible. Wish they would loose the round home screen button and integrate it with the power button instead or even a double volume click.

psedog

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
横須賀 Yokosuka, Japan
What you see here folks is what the iPhone 6 won't look like.

Since Apple is looking to build sapphire displays I believe the edges will be rounded off. That's how the sapphire is on my watch and it looks good that way.

FactVsOpinion

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
If this is anywhere to be believed, then the home button and the ear piece area make the phone look terrible. Wish they would loose the round home screen button and integrate it with the power button instead or even a double volume click.

It's now a fingerprint scanner... so it's not going anywhere

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Beautiful, I really like this. Rounded does not mean more slippery, it means 'fits in the hand better'. Fingers crossed, this looks really nicely organic and a step forwards. A lot of engineering challenges for Jony et al though!

jpg

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Interesting that those pics don't show the back. The problem with this all aluminum design would be that there would have to be vertical lines on the border of the back to separate the antenna bands from the aluminum back. That could look rather ugly. Other than that, it's nice design.

BeefJerky

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
Australia
Not a fan of the renders, but I'm sure Apple will design something amazing and spectacular like they have every time before.

I just hope they don't mess up this new generation iPhone..

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have a hard time believing that apple would completely eliminate the side bezels. In real life use it seems impractical. IMHO

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Doubtful. Because didn't Apple spend all that money on the machines that make those fancy edges on the 5, 5S and iPad Air? It would make financial sense to keep using those for a little bit longer anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.