Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A concept video of what iOS 8 would look like if it was tailor made for the iPhone 6 has been created and posted by TechRadar. The video features a mockup iPhone 6 handset with an edge-to-edge display and no discernible Touch ID home button. The presentation style and background audio takes its inspiration from Apple's own highly polished product videos.

The video shows a revised iOS 8 notification center with multiple panes that allow you to swipe between a "Today" view, a calendar view and a messages view. Items are actionable, allowing you to tap an unread email and open the mail app in a slide-up shade, which can be swiped down when you are done reading.

Pulling from the most recent round of rumors, the concept envisions a Healthbook app that syncs with the iWatch, a supercharged Siri with Shazam and an even better version of Apple's new CarPlay feature.

Unlike an earlier concept that combined the notification center with the multi-task switcher, the Tech Radar concept keeps the radical ideas to a minimum, focusing on the core foundations of iOS 7 and exploring how they would look with a refreshed interface and few new features rumored to debut in iOS 8.

Article Link: iOS 8 Concept Video Features Siri with Shazam, iWatch-Synced Healthbook App

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Nice concept, but i just hate those gradient colours and icons everywhere, it looks so Windowsish, and not even good windowsish.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Lets be real... all the iOS concepts always includes USEFUL and intuitive features that Apple NEVER has integrated.

I wish these concepts were close to what Apple ACTUALLY releases in iOS, but its never even remotely as cool, intuitive, functional or useful. Its always what Apple BELIEVES we should want/need.

jordancrombie92

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
United Kingdom
Nice concept, but i just hate those gradient colours and icons everywhere, it looks so Windowsish, and not even good windowsish.

I much prefer the darker colours, looks a bit more professional but still maintains the fun element that iOS 7 has.

The notification centre is the most improved! Love it!

itpromike

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Lets be real... all the iOS concepts always includes USEFUL and intuitive features that Apple NEVER has integrated.

I wish these concepts were close to what Apple ACTUALLY releases in iOS, but its never even remotely as cool, intuitive, functional or useful. Its always what Apple BELIEVES we should want/need.

I couldn't agree more. It's usually dumbed down to the point of being almost useful.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
ShaZam is so useless

Is this going to be one of those annoying new features that every iPhone user needs to share with their friends ?!

"Oh hey guys let's ask Siri silly things!!!!!"

"Siri where should I bury a body?" Siri - sorry I don't understand. (Try's once more). Siri -'the city dump is 10 miles away'

"Rofl loll" "oh Siri you're so funny!"

Shut Up!!!!

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
few things

there will definitely be a home button with touchID. i don't think the notification center will only feature calls, messages, and emails in the way the video depicts. apple does not want to bury your other app notifications, if anything they will want to grant more access to them. app economy.

shazaam and health book will be nice but i hope some of the other major new features are more universally appealing. ( health book will require another device and I honestly never use shazaam )

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

Maybe because its a hell of a lot easier creating a concept than ACTUALLY implementing something working in an operating system.

Concepts will always look more fancy and "futuristic" than reality.

Also a concept video doesn't have to think every single detail through in regards to actually using it and how it flows with the rest of the design. There's a huge difference between actually using something, and just seeing some fancy demo that doesn't have to think it all the way through.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Apparently the phone in that concept video has a battery that lasts 2 weeks.

APPLE - ARE YOU WATCHING?!
It is not possible. You don't need it because you can keep you Mac/iPad/iPhone device as much as you want and often to power since lithium battery age when you use then, more cycles you do less will last.
A battery with 50% more capacity will be good in days you don't come back home or use a lot of cellular data, but more than that is useless.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Yup, not like we got notification center, control center, or card multitasking as has been depicted in all kinds of concepts before. Oh, wait...

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
As slick as this presentation is, I would think a new version of iOS would warrant greater changes.

This looks more like an incremental upgrade like a 7.5 versus an 8.0 upgrade.

That said I don't suspect Apple will be making wholesale changes to their iOS for anytime soon.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It is pretty much everything that has been rumored for the past 6 months! I like the new notification center concept, but what happens to all the app notifications? If I get a notification banner and miss it I would still like to be able to swipe down and see what it was...So I think recent notifications should be at the bottom of the NC screen with the contextual info up top.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I couldn't agree more. It's usually dumbed down to the point of being almost useful.

Hey thanks for agreeing lol!

----------

Maybe because its a hell of a lot easier creating a concept than ACTUALLY implementing something working in an operating system.

Also a concept video doesn't have to think every single detail through in regards to actually using it and how it flows with the rest of the design. There's a huge difference between actually using something, and just seeing some fancy demo that doesn't have to think it all the way through.

Yea, like they dont have some of the worlds best devs.. oh wait...

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

Exactly. Developing an idea, in a vaccum, of yourself is one thing (gold star - you had a thought). Designing, developing, manufacturing, marketing and selling something that hundreds of millions of people will give their hard earned money for... an entirely different ball of wax on every level that can be discussed.

One need look no further than the automotive industry to see this dynamic alive and well. Clearly, [insert auto manufacturer here] can design & build one cool car of the future. But will enough people want said cool car of the future to warrant production? The people have spoken and the answer is a resounding "no." Sorry. I guarantee, if people pulled out their wallets and said "we want a cool car of the future," the auto industry would deliver. Instead, were stuck with Chevy Luminas and Ford Probes. Power to the people? :D

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
You need a way to view push notifications, battery level and signal strength from Notification Centre. This concept, while well-made, seems to ditch those important elements!

I hope Siri is clever enough to listen to music without being asked in order to match it with Shazam. Google Now does this and it's a great feature.

Drive Mode would lock out passengers from using your phone. Hopefully Apple doesn't go down that route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.