Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

nike_fuelband_se.jpg
Late last week, it was revealed that Nike is scaling back its FuelBand hardware effort to focus on the software side of its fitness tracking ecosystem, sparking speculation of a potential partnership with Apple focused around the iWatch or other Apple hardware.

Nike CEO Mark Parker appeared on CNBC earlier today, and while he would not directly address specific plans with respect to Apple, he did note that Apple is a longtime partner and that he is "excited about where that relationship will go forward."
Parker: [Y]ou're going to continue to see us commit to this area, to focus on expanding the reach. Today, we have about 30 million FuelBand users. We're hoping to push that to over 100 million. We have partners that we work with...obviously the most visible partner we have is Apple. We've been working with them for a long time. And we're excited about where that relationship will go forward.

CNBC's Sara Eisen: Well, can you give us a hint? Are we going to expect some sort of collaborative device coming out? Nike and Apple?

Parker: I can't really say that. There's been a lot of speculation, which I understand. I will just say the relationship between Nike and Apple will continue. And I am personally, as we all are at Nike, very excited about what's to come.
Parker went on to discuss how Nike is going to focus on the software side of the wearable fitness device market going forward, integrating it into some of of Nike's products as well as those of partners. With those partnerships, Nike is seeking to further its primary goal of expanding the overall Fuel ecosystem to as many people as possible.

Speculation of a Nike-Apple partnership is natural given the long history between the two companies, highlighted by the Nike+iPod initiative to bring pedometer and other fitness tracking to Apple devices. Apple CEO Tim Cook has served on Nike's board of directors for nearly a decade, and he is frequently seen wearing a Nike FuelBand.

Article Link: Nike CEO 'Excited' About Future of Fitness Partnership with Apple

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Scaling back on fuelband hardware to focus more on the software,
Well that's a huge hint, nike is giving away their fuelband hardware to apple.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
How come we haven't seen any iWatch-related (hardware or software) leaks yet?

I think Apple still has a very tight secrecy on new products, like it did with the original iPhone. Makes me wonder whether all this iPhone 6 news is controlled leaks or Apple doesn't care as much with product revisions/updates.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010

Apple's probably laser focused on keeping this one a secret. We might even get an iWatch announcement months ahead of the release (like the first iPhone) as to avoid leaks from the manufacturing end.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Well, analysts have looked in wrong places.
They should look for a newest Nike fuelband, which will however be sold under Apple iWatch brand with all R&D on hardware side moved to Apple.
For Nike it means that all their software for products, not just shoes, but also smart T-shirts, sensor clothing, can move to support iWatch.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
After firing so many poor employees, sure you are excited about the future!
Honestly, who didn't see this coming? I'm sure the (now former) employees themselves saw it coming at least 2 years prior. Hopefully they were handsomely compensated by Nike for their contributions.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It is iBand and it is coming. Probably not nearly as hard to manufacture as an iPhone, so less ramp up for manufacturing plants and less likely to have leaks. Also we are probably a good chunk of time away from launch.

As for Nike, I have no idea why Nike would be focused on the software side. I think they should stay focused on the shoe side of fitness. Maybe do the T-Shirt and Shorts side. Outside of that and I don't think they make sense being involved.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Scaling back on fuelband hardware to focus more on the software,
Well that's a huge hint, nike is giving away their fuelband hardware to apple.

It makes no sense to stop the hardware, unless you either are selling it to someone or if you are partnering with someone who is going to take over the market segment. To just abandon the space seems strange. So your comments make sense, except for the timing. Why did they stop, before there was any anouncement of what would replace them.

Was it a glut of inventory they need to move before something else comes out? Or are they generating some pent up demand that will explode with lines around the block on release day (hmmm... sounds familiar).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It is iBand and it is coming. Probably not nearly as hard to manufacture as an iPhone, so less ramp up for manufacturing plants and less likely to have leaks. Also we are probably a good chunk of time away from launch.

As for Nike, I have no idea why Nike would be focused on the software side. I think they should stay focused on the shoe side of fitness. Maybe do the T-Shirt and Shorts side. Outside of that and I don't think they make sense being involved.

As a worldwide brand name associated with fitness they do have value as an Apple partner -- but I agree, both hardware and software do seem to be well outside of their core competencies. Maybe that's half of the message we are getting here. I also think "iBand" is a real possibility if in fact the FuelBand is being phased out.

Jungo

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
When ?

I'm excited to ...

WHEN?- we've rumoring this for YEARS now.

Come on ..

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
I'm excited too, but it better have NO resemblance to the Nike Fuel band!! I'm all set with wearing any bracelet.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
It's great that both Nike and Apple are working together. I hope the new device is waterproof. I am a avid swimmer and I would love to have it when in the pool.
Also all the water sports will benefit of such device.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Variety of Description

Don't CEOs know any other feeling / descriptor besides "Exciting" when they speak of upcoming products?

It's a nit-picky thing I know, but its as predictable and boring as "Have a Nice Day."

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
It means "Fuel" will be an App you can either buy on the new Apple watch device or come on board as standard software.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
I hope the new device is waterproof. I am a avid swimmer and I would love to have it when in the pool.
Also all the water sports will benefit of such device.

Me too! I have been waiting for a way to change playlists / songs etc. from within the pool for years...

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
who cares, I'm still not buying a iSquat iWatch

stupidest product line ever.

these will be pointless once we have embedded chips under our skin

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013

I think Apple still has a very tight secrecy on new products, like it did with the original iPhone. Makes me wonder whether all this iPhone 6 news is controlled leaks or Apple doesn't care as much with product revisions/updates.

The volume of the iphone sales means that the next phone needs to head out for production much earlier to have enough volume by the time it is available (They sold 50 million in the first quarter with the 5s/5c (well a little under 50 million given that 4s was also for sale), 6 will likely sell a lot more)..Everything else also is pushed forward..

The iWatch or a wearable device on the other hand is a new product launch, and due to that apple wont be producing 50 million of those for launch :) quarter..It will probably enter production at a later date much closer to its availability..

I like the idea of launching the wearable a few months early, it maximises your PR given that any leak before a launch event is not beneficial. I don't think apple is worried about competition having a month or so extra to size it up, for them its the execution and implementation that is important not the features themselves..I want apple to announce the iwatch and apple TV at WWDC, and also open both platforms up for developers..Launch the iPhone in september and launch the updated iPads and the iPhab in November..

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
After firing so many poor employees, sure you are excited about the future!

Well, your point about them being "poor employees," or to be exact, poor engineers is right. He's probably excited he doesn't have to deal with all their bungling.

Explains why the Fuelband SE was such a lackluster update

No it doesn't. The bulk of the update was s/w related which was also lackluster and buggy since day one. (Original FB can do everything SE can except "win the hour" and the ability to trigger a session direct from the band. You can trigger a session from the iPhone app though). They couldn't even get daylight savings time right and when the iPad app went nuts didn't even realize it was a programming error. Took them about a week to release a fix.

Who is to say Apple didn't hire them the day after ?

I'd like to believe Apple has higher standards for prospective engineers, though I do realize the head FB guy did go to Apple a while ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.