Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5s.jpg
Apple has initiated a recall of some iPhone 5 models because the Sleep/Wake button may "stop working or work intermittently", according to an Apple statement given to The Loop.

The company has created a special support website for the recall where customers can enter their iPhone serial number and see if their phone is one of the "small percentage" of iPhone 5 models that are affected.

Affected phones can be brought to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, though the phone will need to be sent to an Apple Repair Center for servicing. Stores will have some iPhone 5 16GB models available as loaners. Another option is mailing the iPhone to Apple, with details available on the recall program's website.
Replacement of the sleep/wake button mechanism is done at an Apple Repair Center. There are two ways to send your iPhone to the repair center--carry-in or mail-in. See below for details. The replacement process takes approximately 4-6 days from the time your iPhone is received at the repair center until it is returned to you. Your iPhone will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program and is otherwise in working order. Before sending your iPhone to Apple for service, you will need to back up all your data and erase all your content and settings.
Users who believe they have paid for an out-of-warranty replacement to rectify this issue should contact Apple regarding a refund and the company notes that this does not extend warranty coverage for any other issues. Additionally, the program is only effective for two years after the initial retail purchase of the iPhone 5 unit in question, meaning buyers who purchased the iPhone 5 when it first was released have at least five months to have their machines repaired.

Apple requires that any phone that receives a sleep/wake button replacement under the program be upgraded to iOS 7.

Update: In addition to repairs, U.S. Apple store employees have been offering iPhone 5 users with a faulty sleep/wake button a $350 trade-in credit towards a new device, according to multiple tipsters.

Apple is only giving the credit to users who specifically ask about an upgrade, but the credit amount is above what the store typically gives for an iPhone 5 trade-in. The phone must be in full working order aside from exhibiting sleep/wake issues.

Article Link: Apple Initiates iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program [Updated]

nojkepop

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2014
Actually had this problem with my iPhone 5 and they replaced the device a few months out of warranty with no hesitation. This was back in January I believe.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Wow thats a long time. At least the software has a work around... and a lot of people use it even when they don't have to.

radcliff

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Sweden
I had this problem...

But my mobile phone company Telia, in Sweden, replaced the phone while I was grabbing a cup of tea. They just made sure it wasn't water damaged and then replaced it for a brand new iPhone5, free of charge. I'm much more happy than I would have been to be without the phone for several days and then just get it repaired.

colinstalter

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
My iPhone 5 had this problem. The lock button totally stopped moving.

At the time they just gave me a new iPhone, which was pretty nice.

woodlandtrek

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Great! I was just getting used to using AssistiveTouch, but I'll be happy to go back to the real sleep/wake button again.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Mine was doing this and Apple store replaced it a few months back with no issues. While it's unfortunate this is a wider spread issue, it's good Apple is taking care of it.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How about a home button replacement program? Mine has developed the curious ability to rotate. It works fine, I'm just scared it's going to fall off one of these days.

Keymaster

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
I haven't had a single issue with mine, but it's eligible for replacement. Not sure yet if I should bother since it's working just fine...they do provide a replacement phone to use while yours is in for service.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
I checked my iPhone 5's serial number and found out that I am eligible. Time for a repair methinks.

Worth noting:
If you are running iOS 6, your iPhone will need to be upgraded to iOS 7 after the sleep/wake button mechanism is replaced.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Wow. Mine stopped working almost exactly after updating to ios 7, about a week after the warranty expired. Hopefully I can replace it.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I had this problem 6 weeks after my warranty expired and Apple told me it would cost $269 to fix it. No leeway at all. They insisted that it was not a manufacturing defect and not a widespread issue. So I had to buy the part from iFixit and do the repair myself. I wonder if they'll refund me for that. :rolleyes:

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
My wife's iPhone 5 started having this issue a few months back (this was an iPhone 5 sold on the first day). Good to know it's a defect that Apple will cover.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
My wife's phone sometimes takes a few presses before it will sleep. I had assumed the problem is the case (an Otterbox Defender), but maybe she has the problem Apple is describing. I'll check the serial number when I get home.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
I had this problem 6 weeks after my warranty expired and Apple told me it would cost $269 to fix it. No leeway at all. They insisted that it was not a manufacturing defect and not a widespread issue. So I had to buy the part from iFixit and do the repair myself. I wonder if they'll refund me for that. :rolleyes:

Lolz. 3rd party repair puts your phone into BER. Good luck.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
that is pretty good news as my device is eligible. However, there is no way I can leave my phone for 4-6 days. I am using it for both personal and work.

Too bad we can't take an appointment and get it repaired in 30 mins since this what it takes

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
They will consider that as per what is mentioned on that page:
If you believe you have paid for a replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
My question is whether they'll still do it after they've found out I've opened the phone myself to replace the battery even though I'm out of warranty...

Switchfoot

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
Good thing I paid $50 bucks to get this fixed by a 3rd party a month and half ago. Doubt Apple is refunding repairs they didn't do themselves.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Good thing I paid $50 bucks to get this fixed by a 3rd party a month and half ago. Doubt Apple is refunding repairs they didn't do themselves.

4. What is not Covered?

(d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.