Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

StackSocial launched its fifth 'Name Your Own Price' Mac Bundle earlier this week that offers up to nine apps and an online iOS development course for purchase with 10% of all sales going to charity.

nyopmacbundle5.png

There are two apps and an online iOS development course that all buyers receive:

MacX Mobile Video Converter ($50)
PDF Converter Pro for Mac ($80)
Projects in iOS E-learning Course ($147)

If a buyer pays more than the current average price shown on StackSocial's sales page for the bundle ($8.00 at the time of this post), the buyer will receive all nine apps offered which includes the three items listed above plus the following apps:

RapidWeaver 5 ($79)
Tune Up ($50)
CrossOver 13 ($60)
Disk Drill Pro 2.0 ($99)
Voila ($30)
Snapheal Pro ($40)
mSecure for Mac ($20)

The total retail value of the entire bundle is $807. To encourage higher purchase prices, StackSocial is giving away an 11-inch MacBook Air in a random drawing with entries earned by taking a position on the price leaderboard at any time during the sale. At the time of this post, the person in the top position on the leaderboard paid $94 for the bundle.

The bundle will be on sale until May 7.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

Article Link: StackSocial Offers 9 Apps in 'Name Your Own Price' Mac Bundle and MacBook Air in Giveaway

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I'm interested in the ios E Learning course. Is there anything better?

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
Beat me to it.

Disk Drill Pro maybe, but I'd need to see if it's as good or better than disk warrior.

I actually needed the pdf converter once, so I went ahead and got this, just in case. I can download it later if I need it, and it's way cheaper than everything else out there! The screen capture app is one I've needed sometimes too when helping other with computer issues. It helps me show them what exactly I'm talking about. haha.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
"The total retail value of the entire bundle is $807".

I couldn't imagine anyone spending that much for these apps MOST of which are completely useless and overpriced. For that much money you could buy a top of the line IPad or almost a Macbook Air.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I used TuneUp a few years ago to clean up tags in my iTunes library. Worked really well, though it crashed occasionally.

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
"The total retail value of the entire bundle is $807".

I couldn't imagine anyone spending that much for these apps MOST of which are completely useless and overpriced. For that much money you could buy a top of the line IPad or almost a Macbook Air.

Software costs time, skill, and/or money to write.

Not to say that any of these are worth buying (I have no idea).

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Just curious--all references to winning the MacBook Air involve making a purchase. I thought that was not legal (in the USA); you have to have a free way to enter a contest.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Don't be tricked by CrossOver. I purchased it in a different bundle last year and just started receiving notices that my subscription is about to expire.

Well, yes it is and I won't get suckered into that again.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Smart move by StackSocial, that MBA giveaway. How many purchasers are going to offer more than they otherwise would, in order to win that laptop? And as the posted top price on the leaderboard goes up, the offered bundle purchase prices are going to progressively get higher and higher….. Glad some of this is going to charity.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Just curious--all references to winning the MacBook Air involve making a purchase. I thought that was not legal (in the USA); you have to have a free way to enter a contest.

This is true. If the only way to win is paying, that is called a lottery. For every contest I've ever seen, there is always a free way to enter, either by sending ins something, or going online, etc.

Remember when Steve Jobs wanted to have Willy Wonka-like golden tickets included with Macs? He couldn't do it exclusively for paying customers, as that would be considered a lottery.

----------

So here is the dirty little secret. For some apps, they (the dev) explicitly say that you cannot get upgrade pricing for *bundled* software, such as this. So be careful.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, I don't think this bundle is any good either. Their 3.0 freebie one had nicer stuff.

RapidWeaver 5 is obsolete. It hasn't been updated since 2012, Realmac is not going to update it anymore, it's VERY likely since they're moving into a different direction. Plus, you have much better options when it comes to building websites with little effort these days. It was great while we still had iWeb though.

You cannot convert PDFs to anything else (but flat images) period. I mean, you can, but it's not going to be a one click thing like is advertised, you're going to waste hours trying to fix the ugly results.

Sign up for Macphun's newsletter, and you'll eventually get all their stuff for free. :rolleyes: These little apps take money from people who don't want to have to learn how to use a proper image program that can do everything, plus more.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Voila and Snapheal Pro are good in this deal but you may be able to get Snapheal Pro for free if you follow MacPhun as Jessica pointed out. Both of those apps I got free.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
DO NOT PURCHASE CrossOver. It's basically free software wrapped in a nice GUI. There's Wineskin Winery which does the same thing and is free.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Disk Drill Pro extracted some files I needed from a usb pen drive that suddenly started failing. Disk Warrior couldn't rescue a thing. You might never need it, though.

DO NOT PURCHASE CrossOver. It's basically free software wrapped in a nice GUI. There's Wineskin Winery which does the same thing and is free.

They are different. Wineskin transforms Windows programs piecemeal into OSX programs by creating a wrapper around them. Crossover is more like a virtual PC engine in your system.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of XXX.

This is what we want to see more often. We know this kind of thing happens here more times than it's acknowledged. And we are not against it happening. We are however against it happening without MR owning up to it in the article.

I'm glad MR did the right thing in this article. But can MR keep doing the right thing in all similar articles in the future?

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
StackSocial Offers 9 Apps in 'Name Your Own Price' Mac Bundle and MacBook Air...

Paid $8.01 and got the program I wanted (TuneUp) not a bad deal at all.

Didn't like Disk Drill much at all; I think DriveDX is much much better and worth the money.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
They are different. Wineskin transforms Windows programs piecemeal into OSX programs by creating a wrapper around them. Crossover is more like a virtual PC engine in your system.

But crossover is a terrible program, definitely isn't worth the price they think its worth, or even the $1 they want for the bundle.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
MacRumors is an affiliate partner of XXX.

This is what we want to see more often. We know this kind of thing happens here more times than it's acknowledged. And we are not against it happening. We are however against it happening without MR owning up to it in the article.

I'm glad MR did the right thing in this article. But can MR keep doing the right thing in all similar articles in the future?

Speak for yourself, not the entire membership.

For a very long time, MacRumors staff have made it very clear if MR is an affiliated partner in such stories - there has been nothing to suggest that this approach will be changing any time soon.

Personally, I'm very happy with MR's approach and am confident that I will be in years to come.

*Disclosure* I am not an affiliated partner of its MacRumors or any of its staff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.