Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just two weeks after being purchased by Amazon, digital comic book seller ComiXology has announced that it'll be retiring its app in favor of a new read-only version that requires users to purchase comic books via their website, much like Amazon does with its Kindle app.
comixologyretired.png
ComiXology recommends that their users back up their purchases through their ComiXology account and to download the new app to continue reading. However, the current app will still allow users to download and read their current books for a limited time. The Marvel and DC Comics apps, which are powered by ComiXology, appear to be unaffected.

In 2011, Amazon updated its Kindle app to remove the ability to purchase books from within the app to avoid Apple's in-app subscription and purchases policy, which requires developers to give Apple 30 percent of however much they earn. In contrast, Beats updated its app with in-app subscriptions in an effort to increase subscription sign-ups.

The new app, Comics - Read Comic Books and Graphic Novels by comiXology is a universal app that's available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: ComiXology Retires App, Debuts New Read-Only Version After Amazon Purchase

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Ugh typical. I liked that i could just buy and download comics via the app, now that's going! Assume this will affect the Marvel & DC Comics app too down the line! Seems like Amazon are aiming to ruin the simplicity of buying comics!

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Puke... this decision is solely profit-based - there's nothing like sacrificing user experience because of greed (and that's aimed at both Apple and Amazon)!

For the effort of getting on the website, logging in, finding my product and having to input card details etc and then having to sync just to read a comic, I might as well drive to the nearest comic shop and buy it there (or add the few digital comics I collect to my forbidden planet monthly delivery)!

----------

Ugh typical. I liked that i could just buy and download comics via the app, now that's going! Assume this will affect the Marvel & DC Comics app too down the line! Seems like Amazon are aiming to ruin the simplicity of buying comics!

ruin the experience on iOS and then make it super easy on whatever second-rate hardware they are peddling - as well as getting more profits.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
This frustrates me. Having bought (and enjoyed) numerous series, including Y which I bought every comic progressively through the app this has made me rethink my policy if buying digital copies online. E-comics need to get a universal standard form that you can read in any app.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for ruining the easy experience of buying and reading digital comics, Amazon! I won't be giving Comixology another dime.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
**** you, amazon. Totally dick move. I bought a lot of comics and now I'll just stop. Is there a way to sync comics across to the respective marvel / DC apps presuming they're aren't going to ruin them too.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
lol, imagine if a corporation came into your house and said 'Hey, pile up those books you've bought from us… we'll still let you them read them for now'.

You'd probably call the police, wouldn't you?

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
**** you, amazon. Totally dick move. I bought a lot of comics and now I'll just stop. Is there a way to sync comics across to the respective marvel / DC apps presuming they're aren't going to ruin them too.

If you get the DC/Marvel apps and sign in with your comixology account, you should see the comics there.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Unaware companies.

Why is it that they don't pay attention? I mean, look at what happened to Microsoft's Office 365 subscriptions after they put Office on the app store. Yeah, Apple might take 30%, but they're selling 200% more subscriptions.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
1: Start comixology. Go to purchases
2: Hit restore in the purchases tab to sync apple purchases with the web
3: Log into comixology website to use the fiver voucher they gave you.
4: Download DC / Marvel apps. Check purchases have synced to those.
5: Download new comixology app to leave a one star review.
6: delete both comixology apps and Use DC / Marvel.

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Personally I always go to the Comixology website to make sure they get all of the proceeds. The overall experience on the website for me was much better, plus I never had to worry about being signed in or out (due to app updates or my kid jacking something up.) Obviously it was hella convenient to be able to purchase comics directly from the app, but because I wanted to support Comixology so just about all of my purchases go through their website.

jonasen

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
They raised the prices, at least in Europe :(
Will be a lot less bought comics from now on...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm not angry... Other than the fact that I have to download 10GB+ of comics again. :mad:

EDIT: They gave us $5 credits!!!! :D

They did give us credit, but only for iOS users it seems LMAO. I didn't see any mention of the credit in the android email I got, only the iOS one.

I'm fed up of re-downloading comics, when the app gets messed up on android. Lucky for me my comics appear to be intact on the android app and most of the comics on my iPad are stored in the Star Trek comics app which doesn't appear to have been effected.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I've been unable to 'restore' my Apple ID-purchased comics with my new Comixology account and it's really annoying. If I log out of Comixology in the old app, I see all my Apple ID purchases. When I log into my Comixology account and then try to restore, I'm prompted to enter my Apple ID and password and then nothing happens. It's incredibly frustrating and I'm irritated with the whole process. I've sought out support, but find it likely that I'm stuck with a bunch of lost purchases. I knew things would go wrong when comics went digital - thank goodness I maintain a majority in real life paper still!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Not to them. They don't want to have to give Apple 30% and this is the way to avoid it.

Sucks for us but there it is

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

MR powers that be: please ignore the email I sent about this. I missed it on the front page.

Well, that's it for me and Comixology purchases. If anything will push me back into trade paperbacks and supporting my local comic book store, this will.

Last edited:

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Not to them. They don't want to have to give Apple 30% and this is the way to avoid it.

Sucks for us but there it is
Apple could always breakout a comic focused app of their own and license the comics themselves directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.