Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this morning, news of an imminent MacBook Air refresh surfaced, and now there are additional details on what we can expect from the update. As initially reported, the new MacBook Airs will include updated Haswell processors with no other specification changes.

As can be seen in an image of the new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Air specs provided to 9to5Mac, the notebook will offer a 1.4GHz Intel Core i5 processor, a very minor boost from the current entry level 1.3Ghz processor in the 13-inch version. Build to order models in both 11 and 13-inch varieties are expected to see the same minor processor improvements.

newmacbookairspecs.jpg
The MacBook Airs continue to offer the same amount of storage space, RAM, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and there has been no upgrade to Thunderbolt 2, which was included in the latest Retina MacBook Pro. The Airs continue to use Intel's HD Graphics 5000 and it is unclear whether updated Haswell processors will bring any boosts to battery life.

It is unknown when Apple plans to introduce the new MacBook Air computers, but it is possible Apple will take its online store down tonight in order to update inventory ahead of an in-store release tomorrow.

Article Link: New MacBook Airs to Feature Minor Processor Update

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Apple has done this before. A minor spec bump a couple of months before a major update...

Guess waiting for a Retina Air isn't over yet!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Apple reminds me of those hamster cages with the slow drip water bottle. we the consumers are the hamsters, and apple is slowly dripping us updates lol :D

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
1.4Ghz? My 2013 MBA feels so slow now running at an abysmal 1.3Ghz.

All jokes aside, possibly just a minor boost readying for that Retina later this year?

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I think I'll hold on to my 2013 MBA and wait for what's coming after this very mediocre upgrade.

I honestly still don't feel the need to update my 2011 Air...
This update might just be an ops/supply chain related update... might be easier to source those new procs or it might just not cost anything more to Apple to get slightly better-specc'd procss.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Not sure why people are upset. At least the MBA's are getting processor bumps.

This is probably the last upgrade current MBA form factor will receive. Apple will keep them around like they do the 13" cMBP for a year or two and then discontinue them.

Better to get a processor bump than not. Darned if you do, darned if you don't...

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Apple reminds me of those hamster cages with the slow drip water bottle. we the consumers are the hamsters, and apple is slowly dripping us updates lol :D

Yeah except hamsters don't have to pay to upgrade their 'drip'...

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
What's the point of this? Seems like an extremely minor spec bump

It is, but it's kinda to be expected. The HD Graphics 5000 would seriously struggle to drive a 4k display so no Thunderbolt 2 makes sense, and Macbook Airs are the one line Apple has actually really listened to consumers and gone for battery life, which limits the processor choice. They have to differentiate between the now standard rMBP and the Airs and processors are a good way to do it.

There isn't a huge amount you can improve on an Air without fundamentally changing its market segment.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How long til 256 GB becomes standard? I feel like we've been at 128 for forever.

Not really a joke. Yes, it's a very small spec bump but so what? As I mentioned in a post a while back, any update is welcome. Just wait until WWDC. Air Retina is coming.

Probably not. The next intel chip, Broadwell, doesn't come out til the fall.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Why bother with such a lame update.
This may be due to a change in the supply chain.

----------

How long til 256 GB becomes standard? I feel like we've been at 128 for forever.

Probably not. The next intel chip, Broadwell, doesn't come out til the fall.
I personally think one gigabyte should be a standard across all laptops and desktops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.