Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I loved the current iPod touch when I owned it. Even used it as a makeshift phone with Google Voice. I wished the iPhone 5 turned out like it design wise but we obviously didn't get that. Glad that they are incorporating the design now. I just hope battery life doesn't suffer because of the thin size.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
An even thinner iPhone with at least as good battery life as the current would be impressive, but if even a minute of battery life is sacrificed, then clearly Apple has its priorities out of whack.

Volume = height x width x depth

People seem to forget that you can reduce one dimension, but still get a larger volume if you increase the other two dimensions. Bigger screens = more space for a battery, even in a thinner frame. That's the whole* reason Android went to larger screens in the first place. They needed bigger batteries for the early power hungry LTE chips, and were already struggling to match Apple on thinness. Going bigger let them beef up the battery without becoming chunky.

*Edit: As Dr McKay points out, battery life likely wasn't the only reason for every phone that switched to a larger screen. However, the increase in battery life from the first generation LTE phones to the second generation with larger screens was arguably the most notable and significant change.

Last edited:

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
If anything this is evidence that the case was designed FROM the iTouch, not from Apple schematics for the 6.

Renewed hope that the actual i6 will have a smaller formfactor (thinner bezel) while retaining the larger screen.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Thinness is Apple's culprit, a clear example of their philosophy of design over function. I imagine that if they have kept the iPhone 4's thickness but with new battery technology we could be seeing 20-hour battery life on an iPhone. Yet they choose not to do that because they think thinness supposedly means new and high-tech. Same with the iMac, they thinned down a desktop instead of trying to figure out how to put a desktop-class graphics card on it.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
That background music was annoying...

As for the thinness, like everyone else here I would prefer the same thickness as the iPhone 5/5s but with a much higher capacity battery.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
here apple...take my hard earned money, please....................................
although i must admit...if they kept the design as thick and 'solid' as the iphone 4/4s but with a 24hr battery, id be much happier.

moeafg

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Birmingham
Volume = height x width x depth

People seem to forget that you can reduce one dimension, but still get a larger volume if you increase the other two dimensions. Bigger screens = more space for a battery, even in a thinner frame. That's the whole reason Android went to larger screens in the first place. They needed bigger batteries for the early power hungry LTE chips, and were already struggling to match Apple on thinness. Going bigger let them beef up the battery without becoming chunky.

If only everyone saw it this way rather than moan about how thin the phone will b. :rolleyes:

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
BREAKING NEWS: This case was manufactured based on a rumored 4.7" screen size and the layout of the current iPod Touch. Seems legit.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I definitely prefer the rocker volume switch over the independent "+" and "-" buttons. Thickness or thinness of the device is irrelevant to me, although I am growing weary of Apple's obsession with "thinner" devices (especially for desktop systems, i.e. the iMac),

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I agree about the slipperiness. The 5, 5S; and the iPad Air and Mini are quite slippery.
I haven't had any iPhone 5 or 5S phones. Hope I don't have to get a case just to be comfortable with it, unless Apple wants the phone to be so thin that a case would make it just right.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
The thinness of the iPod touch 5th gen. Is perfect. Anything thinner would be too thin for my taste so if these alications are correct, I will be happy.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Please give me a notification LED...

and please do not take an iPod touch and stuff iPhone components inside, and spend the next 4 months tweaking software to try and maximize battery life...it's time to reveal whats behind. the curtain

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Oh No who would have thought.

iPod Touch thickness always pretty much meant iPhone thickness in 2 years.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Am I the only one one who doesn't want "a consistent design language across all devices"? I'd rather they do something clever and distinguishing, more consistent with the price and general importance of the iPhone.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I have one question, could they go for the antennas with the same way like macs? I mean to put the plastic apple logo for antennas and the rest of the phone aluminum ?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
ENOUGH the iPhone 5 is already thin and slippery enough. now add a even taller lighter device and itll just flip out of your hand in no time.

i rather have a better battery life. redic

I'm sure there will be a Morphie case that makes it plenty thick and heavy for you...as well as adding plenty of battery drain (life).

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Just think how big the phone would have to be to accommodate a bigger battery. People, just charge it up once a night and get ready for a thinner iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 will be very thin but the battery life will be the same, if not a little better than the iPhone 5s.

My wallet has been ready a long time. Can't wait until Phil Schiller takes the stage!

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Do you think that a mm or 2 thinner is going to make that much difference?

When a device is only 7.x mm to start with...taking it down 1-2 mm is EXTREME.

That's an over 20% reduction. That's a lot.

----------

The iPhone 6 will be very thin but the battery life will be the same, if not a little better than the iPhone 5s.

/End Thread.

People must not know Apple if they don't realize they won't release a new iPhone without equal or better battery life.

I'm perfectly fine with iPhone 5s battery life.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
When a device is only 7.x mm to start with...taking it down 1-2 mm is EXTREME.

That's an over 20% reduction. That's a lot.

And do you think that is going to make a big difference using it with one hand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.