Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's suppliers have already begun producing the iWatch in small quantities, according to supply chain sources cited by China Times via G for Games, ahead of a prospective launch during the second half of 2014.

Echoing an earlier report from notable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the site's sources also suggest the iWatch will take advantage of a system-in-package (SiP) design that allows a multitude of chips to be placed on a single module. This could allow Apple to the fit multiple sensors rumored for the smart watch into a tiny area while keeping the device small enough to be worn comfortably on the wrist.

Balogh-iwatch.jpg
Traditional watch-style iWatch concept based on TRIWA's Havana Nevil Brown watch, by Gábor Balogh
Rumors have indicated Apple's iWatch will contain several different biometric sensors allowing it to track health-related statistics like heart rate, sleep quality, movement, and more. The sensors will aggregate data that will be stored in a rumored "Healthbook" application, slated for inclusion in iOS 8.

Along with including health sensors, the iWatch will likely function similarly to other smart watches on the market, integrating with the iPhone and iPad to provide notifications and quick access to frequently used apps and services.

Apple's iWatch is expected to ship in two different sizes to accommodate different sized wrists and it may also come in multiple price points and materials. According to recent reports, Apple's iWatch could make an appearance as soon as September, but a solid launch date remains unclear.

Article Link: iWatch Reportedly Entering Production in Small Quantities Ahead of Fall 2014 Launch

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I actually like this traditional / digital blend in the design concept

Not keen on the rubber band look

Providing it isn't silly money i will be buying one!

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
It's all about to happen in the second fall of 2014. Literally everything.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I have to say, looks of a watch are nearly as important as function and Motorola showed with the Moto 360 how a smartwatch should look. If Apple can beat that design (I hope it's more of an classic design) I am ready do give them my money ^^

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
any year now...

I wonder if they'll do a "one more thing" segment during the upcoming WWDC in June to announce the iWatch? ;)

Also, not a fan of the leather straps, and I highly doubt Apple will go with that aesthetic.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
While I like the design (I actually already own an analog watch with a (simple) LCD face & leather strap like a simplified version of that image)... I really can't see Apple going for a design like that. Ever since Jobs' return from NeXT the ethos seems to be "why do it the traditional way when you can reinvent the device".

I'd be surprised if they don't go for a fresh, clean design.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
So it's going to be called the iWatch, and it will have a round dial, buttons on the side, a chronometer ring, a leather band, and will likely function similarly to other smart watches on the market?

Ha, ha, ha, ha. Ha.

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
This whole iWatch thing is going to be very interesting once it's released. For now, we know nothing. :p

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
When will they finally leak some pictures of the iWatch? Might be the first product since the original iPhone to go official announcement with someone sneaking a picture of some pre-production components...

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I'll put some Moto 360 pics here, so that Apple knows, what they are up against ;)

moto-360-front.jpg

moto-3602.jpg

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Love this design mockup the best so far. Hoping Apple does something soon as I'm really looking forward to some kind of announcement.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
I like the round screen but I see it's less useful. You have less space at the top than the middle. All of Apple's little screens have been quadrilaterals. I predict the phone will be slightly rectangular and curved.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I must say, I haven't been very interested in the rumored iWatch, but the Moto 360 referred to above, did in fact change my mind. We all know Apple will provide a luxurious looking watch of great quality. I can see Apple further improving on the Moto 360 concept, and if that's the case, I might just want one.. :D

However, I do feel that my wristwatch is my most personal accessory, and as such I prefer to own something a bit unique, different from what other people are using. That said, I don't know if I'd actually rock an iWatch, even if only half of all iPhone users were to adopt them.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
It's the "will it leak?" drama that I'm finding most interesting. Now that it's allegedly being made, its design and appearance is going to get harder and harder to keep secret. Don't they have to unveil it at WWDC to have a chance at surprise?

See Flat

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
I heard that insiders at Apple are sick of all the questions concerning this iWatch rumor. There is no iWatch. Apple is not working on a watch.

Now, if that is true. It would be amazing if all these other companies rushed their supposedly smart watches to market in anticipation of Apple doing so.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I wonder if they'll do a "one more thing" segment during the upcoming WWDC in June to announce the iWatch? ;)

Also, not a fan of the leather straps, and I highly doubt Apple will go with that aesthetic.

I hope not. I am still not that excited about an expensive add on for my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.