Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You know that T-Mobile will eventually cover all of their EDGE with LTE, as T-Mobile can't keep a 20-year old technology in their network portfolio. And especially with their growing customer base and profit/capital, it is the ripe time for T-Mobile to expand. :D

20 year old technology? What is this BS your spewing now?

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
I'm guessing T-Mobile will start upgrading EDGE to HSPA+/LTE and on top of that, deploy their new 700 MHz LTE (we may need new phones :() and buy up more spectrum. This is their biggest complaint from their customers and T-Mobile is growing, they need to expand.

T-Mobile's CTO Neville Ray did say that T-Mobile will perform expansions at an interview after the Un-Carrier 4.0 announcement, but he said that T-Mobile is looking to build more towers (which is good because in my house, I only get EDGE and outside, I only get one bar of LTE and I live in Philadelphia).

But on the other hand, upgrading thousands of towers to LTE will take billions of dollars, plus the fiber-backhaul needed and workers to complete this. Plus, building a cell site costs $40,000 to $250,000, which is a lot.

But as always, T-Mobile will eventually become #1 and their LTE network will be kicking butt, but let us also hope that Sprint/SoftBank do not buy T-Mobile, otherwise we would be screwed.

Tmobile will become number 1? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Just to resurrect this thread:

T-Mobile has officially completed the 700 MHz deal from Verizon and will start deploying immediately, eventually covering 158 million POPs with 700 MHz LTE. :D

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Just to resurrect this thread:

T-Mobile has officially completed the 700 MHz deal from Verizon and will start deploying immediately, eventually covering 158 million POPs with 700 MHz LTE. :D

I got this text from T-Mobile today:

Attachments

• IMG_0066.PNG
    IMG_0066.PNG
    65.2 KB · Views: 102

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
T-Mobile has purchased the 700Mhz lower A block band from Verizon. This is a total of 10Mhz of spectrum in which T-Mobile will create a 5x5 LTE network. The lower A block operates under LTE band 12. at&t currently utilizes the 700Mhz lower B/C block in a 10x10 configuration under band 17. Band 12 can operate on A B and C blocks while band 17 can only operate on B and C blocks. At&t has publicly stated that they will be transitioning to band 12 LTE phones so they can have better roaming abilities with rural carriers. Even if T-Mobile doesn't deploy their 700Mhz LTE network this year, it is still highly likely the next generation iPhones will have band 12.

On a sidenote, verizon owns the upper C block which is configured in a 10x10 network similar to at&t. Sprint has a 5x5 LTE in the 800Mhz SMR band as well in a few places. At&t also own 12Mhz of lower D/E spectrum but its not currently utilized for anything. They plan to use it for "LTE broadcast".

If anyone's interested, you can go to this website to see what spectrum what carrier owns in your geography: http://specmap.sequence-omega.net
Its not updated yet to reflect T-Mobiles ownership of the lower A block as it still states its under control by Verizon.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I hope the new iPhone supports band 12. If it is, i'll be more likely to get the iPhone 6 and finally have reliable service in my apartment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.