Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruceleeroy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Hey guys,
I recently just picked up a Rosewill KVM Switch in a attempt to connect my Macbook Pro and my PC to the same Cinema screen. The PC switches completely fine to the screen but the Macbook Pro attempts to then fails out to a black screen. Do any of you have a KVM setup working with your Retina currently or have any suggestions?

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Anyone using a KVM switch with their Retina?

Check the settings for how the rMBP is set up to handle an external monitor. I would plug it without the switch first, make sure it's at a compatible resolution on the cinema, and then try using the switch.

Also, it may be helpful to try using both mirror and extended modes, one may work while the other may not.

bruceleeroy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I tried just connecting the Retina to the monitor through the adapter/mini display to DVI and it works perfectly. I tried the switch and it does nothing but a black screen on both which makes me think they just aren't compatible. I would love to just find someone who is using a Retina with a working KVM Switch so I know it can handle it.

Thanks for the reply :)

NYCortex

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
same question

I wanted to do the same thing. Were you able to find a solution that works?

doctor15

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
bumping this to see if anyone has had success with a rMBP and KVM.

I'm looking to share a mouse/keyboard and HDMI monitor with my windows desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.