Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mavericks_round_icon-250x254.jpg
According to 9to5Mac, Apple may use WWDC 2014 to focus on OS X 10.10, giving the desktop OS more attention than iOS 8 during the annual developer conference. Apple allegedly has been moving iOS user interface developers to the OS X teams in order to finish up the new design in time for early June conference.

As has been previously reported, Apple is not merging the two operating systems, opting to keep iOS and OS X as separate entities, but the next version of OS X may share similar design elements with iOS 7.
The new look will have similar toggle designs to iOS 7, sharper window corners, more defined icons across the system, and more white space than the current version. However, OS X characteristics like the Finder, multi-window multitasking, and Mission Control will not disappear in favor of a more iOS-like experience.
Apple is targeting the desktop OS for release in the fall along with new hardware that will ship with this latest OS X version. Though the internal development codename of OS X 10.10 is "Syrah," the shipping name is still unclear, with Apple apparently securing trademarks for popular California locations that would match the new theme started with "Mavericks."

On the iOS 8 side of development, Apple is allegedly pushing some features of iOS 8 off to version 8.1 as the company focuses intently on its next version of OS X. Though Apple may present most of the new features of iOS 8 at WWDC next month, some notable additions such as transit functionality in Maps may not be available until later versions of iOS 8.

ios8.png
iCloud will reportedly see some significant changes in the coming year with improvements on the developer side that make it easier to implement support for the service. Siri may also see Shazam integration, allowing users to identify a song using the voice assistant. Lastly, iOS 8 is reportedly being optimized for Apple's upcoming A8 processor and the rumored larger display of the iPhone 6.
The new iPhone's larger display, as well as a "high-priority" iOS device that is not an iPhone, also lends itself to another core iOS 8 addition. The feature, dubbed by Apple employees as "multi-resolution support," is designed to improve the performance of both App Store applications and the general iOS operating system across multiple new iOS device resolutions.
Apple TV is also now a priority for Apple, with the company rumored to be bringing in hardware and software engineering resources from within the company to work on the next generation device. Apple may be concurrently developing new hardware as well as a revamped iOS-based software system to power the device. Apple had hoped to introduce the hardware in early 2014, but the product's debut has been pushed off. It is, however, unclear whether a new Apple TV will make its way into the WWDC keynote.

Article Link: Apple's WWDC 2014 to Focus on OS X 10.10 as Apple Pulls Resources from iOS 8 to Help

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Looking forward to the OS X redesign, nice that it'll get centre stage after being out of the spotlight for iOS for many years ;)

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Apple pulling resources from iOS to OS X? *gasp*

In all seriousness, pretty much everyone assumed this was coming. iOS pulled people from OS X, so it only makes sense this is the year for OS X.

Here's to hoping they name it OS X Compton :D:apple:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
this feels like when the iphone 5 launched, where Apple focus more on the OS X,
it's the "tick" phase for iOS this year then.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Bad move IMO if iOS 8 isn't near completion. What is more important to the bottom line and mind share, iOS or OS X?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It's nice for OS X to get some attention but I'd rather have the many bugs in Mavericks fixed before OS X gets a cosmetic overhaul.

With Mavericks still problematic after over six months one can only wonder how long it will take to get 10.10 working reliably.

I also feel badly for developers. 10.10 is probably going to make for a lot of needless work.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I need 2 things to make me very satisfied with my current Apple products:

1) A more seamless integration between iOS and OS X. I feel that iCloud is still a little "clunky" in OS X. Also, make things a bit more organized in iTunes as I currently feel that syncing my iPhone is more difficult than it was before the new iTunes.

2) An Apple TV that has an App Store. If they could make it a bit smaller I'd buy one for my bedroom, one for my living room, and another for when I travel. IDK why they couldn't make it smaller, it basically needs to be an iPhone without a screen and battery.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Incredibly nice to hear rolls are reversed for the first time and OS X is actually getting more priority.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm glad. I actually get more excited for OSX updates than iOS. I just hope this update is more than just superficial UI

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
Looking forward to the announcements! The month wait countdown has begun! :eek: I am sure the rumors, leaks and what have you will be pretty steady all month long leading up to WWDC. :D
The anticipation will suck. Then they will finally have the announcement putting all the rumors to rest. Then I'll come back here for the oooohhh's and ahhh's, the the disappointments and the WTF! Apple arguments and complaints. etc. etc. ;) :p

Last edited:

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Oh good god I hope they don't follow the design patterns of iOS 7 in OSX, I really hate this "flat" phase people seem to be going through
They more than likely will follow a design queue from iOS 7. But that doesn't mean it will be all flat. OS X Lion took queue's from iOS but didn't look exactly like it. They will merge the look of iOS 7 more than likely with iCal, Messages, Notification Center, Game Center, etc.

I wouldn't panic or worry just yet. Although the flat design has grown a lot on me and I don't think I would be overly opposed to the idea of having a flatter OS design language similar to iOS 7.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I'd love some UI redesigns on OS X, but please don't add too much white space though. Using iPhone and iPad at night is already straining my eyes enough. :eek:

On the iOS side, I hope we get more than a couple of (non-gimmick) new features, seeing as last year version was all about the redesign. The rumoured healthbook app sounds useless to me, and Maps will take years to be useable in city outside the US. If truth be told, iOS 7.1 is running almost perfectly for me. Better battery life optimisation is all I need :D

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
An Apple TV that has an App Store. If they could make it a bit smaller I'd buy one for my bedroom, one for my living room, and another for when I travel. IDK why they couldn't make it smaller, it basically needs to be an iPhone without a screen and battery.

You think the AppleTV is too big? How do you propose to do that, considering the power supply is built-in? If you want to compare the size to an iPhone, don't forget to include a power adapter.

The size of the AppleTV is fine as it is, IMHO.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
The only way I get excited for 10.10 is if the new design is a unified design. I'm not talking about 50% new, or patching things here and there. I'm talking about a unified design which spans across the OS and Apple's apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.