Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Hi everyone,
As anticipated in the other thread, I have been mulling running a game based on the Mistborn universe, so here it is.

WW/mistborn sign up

1. Moyank24, escaped plantation skaa.........................................rebel
2. Techgod, skaa metalworker from Luthadel
3. Plutoniius, half-skaa crew-leader from Luthadel
4. QueenofSpades, innkeeper from the Western Dominance
5. WoodNUFC, canal barge pilot
6. Sythas, cadet son of a High House of Luthadel .........................................rebel
7. Koodauw, merchant
8. Twietee, nobleman heir to a lower house from the Outer Dominance
9. Rick Snagwell, Luthadel thief and crew-member
10. Sceptical Scribe, Terris scholar
11. Tomorrow, Luthadel Underground's character ............................................rebel
12. Southern dad, skaa shepherd ...................................................................rebel
13. chrmjenkins, Traveling mummer and poet
14. Imaketouchtheme, Central Dominance farmer.............................................INQUISITOR
15. Ravenvii, stone mason.............................................................................INQUISITOR
16. -aggie-, veteran soldier
17. abijnk, noblewoman
18. astroboy907, young recruit

VOTING RECORD SPREADSHEET: it is linked here and in my sig

NARRATION LINKS:
0. BACKSTORIES
1. PROLOGUE
2. DAY 1
3. ORACLE ANSWER
4. EVENING 1
5. MORNING 2
6. EVENING 2
7. MORNING 3
7b. THE SMITING
8. EVENING 3
9. COINSHOT KILL
10. MORNING 4
11. EVENING 4
12. Roles and breakdown

….

GAME INFOS:
Game-related messages will be in RED

Deadlines: usually approximately 24 hours, WITH majority lock. Both GG communications or gameplay can affect deadline, so stay tuned. Night will depend on how quickly PMs are sent, but they will also have a (shorter) deadline.

Voting/Posting: as usual, please bold votes (“no-vote” is an acceptable option).
Please do not make any significant edits to posts. Do not erase posts, Do not unbold old votes.
Please DO vote/participate. Going MIA is NOT an acceptable strategy. If you do so for an extended time, there might be consequences (yes, I do accept excuse notes signed by mom).

In-Game actions: if your power allows it, you can choose to use it publicly. To do so post your action in an ALL-BOLD post, where you describe your action and its target. The action is activated immediately, although the consequences might depend on other actions. For example a time-extension starts immediately and the player needs to indicate the new deadline in the post. An insta-shot is shot immediately, but the success of the kill is determined also by other factors (like protection), so the target is presumed dead, -and should not post- until the kill is confirmed, etc.

Dead players etiquette: usual. limited to 'color' posts, but they should not affect gameplay in any significant way. Please color them in ghost gray and try not to overwhelm the game with them.
Same is extended to "presumed dead" players (for example if majority-lock or a deadline has been reached, or if you have been insta-shot, then you should behave as if you were dead already).
keep in mind that due to some of the new roles and their possible interactions, "presumed dead" does not necessarily means "dead"

PMs. Only inquisitors (WWs) can communicate with one another.
please send all night action PM timely. You CAN pre-send PMs to the GG describing the action.

LINKS TO RULES POSTS:
1. SUMMARY OF POWERS
2. USE OF POWERS
3. ROLES 1: SEER, LURCHER, COINSHOT, TINEYE, THUG
4. ROLES 2: RIOTER, SOOTHER, SMOKER, SEEKER
5. ROLES 3: PULSER SLIDER, AUGUR, ORACLE
6. ROLES 4: LEECHER, BURSTER, ALUM GNAT, DURAL GNAT
7. ROLES 5: KANDRA
8. INQUISITORS/WW ACTIONS
9. STARTING ALIGNMENT

670px-Mistborn_mainpage.jpg

For those of you who are not familiar with the books, it is a fantasy series (a trilogy + one stand-alone book) by Brandon Sarandon, where he built an intriguing world where a ‘semi-magic’ system exists based on different uses of metals.
There are three ‘metallic arts’ in this world, associated with different powers, characteristics and rules of usage: Allomancy, Ferruchemistry, and Hemalurgy.

Some ‘special’ individuals (Allomancers) have the inborn ability to physiologically “burn” some metal they have ingested.
A person who can burn a single metal is called a “misting”. Burning metals gives them special powers, which are specific for each metal.
Some are physical, some are mental, some are temporal and some affect other metal usage. Mistings can only burn a single metal. Exceptionally rare individuals (called mistborns) have the ability to burn every metal. This combo makes them incredibly powerful.

For example, a steel-burning misting (called a ‘coinshot’) has the ability to ‘push’ on most metal objects. If the object is loose and light, the object gets pushed away from the coinshot’s chest in a straight line. Thus, for example coins can be used as lethal projectiles, or a knife can be pushed away from someone’s hand.
If the object is heavier than the person, or it is anchored to something heavy (e.g. a metal bar on a window) the push moves the coinshot back in the opposite direction, in a straight line. If a coin is on solid ground and is pushed upon from directly above, the coinshot is pushed up in the air and can ‘fly’. The intensity of the push depends on how close and large the object is, how strong the person is and how much metal is being burned inside them.

There are 16 Allomantic metals (8 pure metals and 8 related alloys), plus Atium, a ‘god’ metal that allows the burner to become a seer.
The person burning Atium will be … wait for it… the seer!
Every player will have the ability to burn a metal, so everyone is special in this game!
mistborn_adventure_game___peoples_of_scadrial_by_inkthinker-d5sixtd.jpg

More about rules and powers coming shortly

Last edited:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I'd love to play!!

However, I'm going away for the weekend and my phone will be my only access to the net - so if we're starting Sunday, or later, I'm in.

If you're planning on starting before then, I'll sit out and root for everyone except those who killed me off the first night! ;)

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
I'd love to play!!

However, I'm going away for the weekend and my phone will be my only access to the net - so if we're starting Sunday, or later, I'm in.

If you're planning on starting before then, I'll sit out and root for everyone except those who killed me off the first night! ;)

no plan on starting that early. in fact i still have to work on the story so it might take a little bit.
besides, i assume it will take some time before we fill up the roster.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love the Mistborn series, so the premise definitely intrigues me. Fantastic idea for a game and well done both for thinking of it as well as for starting it and running it.

However, I'm travelling all day Monday, and a lot of Tuesday; apart from that, count me in.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I know nothing about this literary series, and the premise seems hard to follow.

However, I'm sure that if I gave it a read, I would most likely enjoy it - and either way it has no bearing on the enjoyment of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like a good time to me. I'm in.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
I know nothing about this literary series, and the premise seems hard to follow.

However, I'm sure that if I gave it a read, I would most likely enjoy it - and either way it has no bearing on the enjoyment of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like a good time to me. I'm in.

don't worry, you don't need to know anything about the story to play, although it helps understanding the reasoning behind the (new) abilities.

----------

I love the Mistborn series, so the premise definitely intrigues me. Fantastic idea for a game and well done both for thinking of it as well as for starting it and running it.

However, I'm travelling all day Monday, and a lot of Tuesday; apart from that, count me in.

hopefully you are not directed to Eastern Ukraine..

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
Ok, here some more informations:

As anticipated, I plan on having 17 players, one for each of the 16 Allomantic metals + Atium.
Every player will be a ‘misting’, with the ability to burn one of the metals and use the associated powers
However, the twist is that the powers do not necessarily pre-determine the alignment, thus also the “Inquisitors” (the WW-equivalent in this game) will have metal-burning abilities.
The metal will be randomly assigned, and the alignment will be also independently randomly assigned, with the exception of the Seer and LURCHER , who always start as a villagers and the duraluminum gnat, who always starts as an inquisitor (ww).
An effect of this is that depending on which metals end up with the Inquisitors (WW), the strategy can become very different and the balance of the games change.

There are going to be 3 inquisitors (ww) with roles similar to the usual (alpha, kamikaze, normal, with some variations), except they also have their own metal powers. Their extra abilities are balanced by the fact that there are 14 allomancer to contrast them

Here is a summary of the tentative roles:

ROLE ................. METAL..................POWER................................GAME ABILITY.............EQUIV. WW ROLE.
god metal​
SEER ................. Atium.....................sees future........................scan for role+alignment ............. SEER
physical metals​
LURCHER ............ Iron......................pulls metals.......................protects from attacks ................. GUARD
COINSHOT .......... Steel ................... pushes metals .................. kills (1x) ............................ INSTAKILL HUNTER
TINEYE ............... tin ....................... enhances senses .............. “sees” target of special activity ........ SPY
THUG ................. pewter .................. enhances strength ............ survives 1 attack/kill ................ -
mental metals​
RIOTER ............... zinc .................... enhances emotions ............ doubles other's vote (1x) ............ -
SOOTHER ............ brass .................. dampens emotions ............. blocks other's vote (1x) ............... -
SMOKER .............. copper ................ hides allomancy ................. hides night activity .................... -
SEEKER ............... bronze ................ reveals allomancy .............. reveals night burning .................. ~SEER LITE
temporal metals​
PULSER ............... cadmium ............. slows time ........................ extends deadline ....................... -
SLIDER ............... bendalloy ............. accelerate time ................. shortens deadline ....................... -
AUGUR ............... gold ..................... reveals past ..................... identified roles of dead ............... UNDERTAKER
ORACLE .............. electrum ............... reveals future .................. ask 1 yes/no question ................ PRIEST
enhancement metals​
LEECHER ............. chromium ............. consume other's metals ..... blocks metal burning (1x)............ -
BURSTER ............ nicrosil ................. enhances other's metals .... forces burning in enhanced burst (1x)..... -
GNAT .................. aluminum .............. consume own metals ........ immune to recruitment................ NO INFECTION
DURAL GNAT ....... duraluminum ......... enhances own metals ........ superkill/extra kill (1x)............... ~ KAMI WOLF
non-allomancer player​
KANDRA ............. none initially........... shapeshifter ....................... can switch to dead player power..... -
Days will last approximately 24 hours (deadline will always be announced), with majority lock. If necessary, those might be changed.
I expect people to participate, and vote. Whereas not casting a vote IS an acceptable strategy, IF the person is participating, disappearing for days is NOT an acceptable game strategy. Thus, if someone is MIA for an extended period of time, they might get “lost in the mists”. (that said, obviously stuff happens so I will be flexible).

more details coming on the specific roles.

Mb_table_v13-1-.jpg

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
depending how some of the metals are used, they can actually achieve that ;)

True. Not sure if I like these Deadline metals as someone from good ol' Europe but will be interesting for sure so fine idea there! (Some more nice ideas as well). We'll see what kind of chaos you raised there...

Make it that the thug also survives 'friendly fire' and I'm fine! ;)

Oh, and make me a thug of course. I wouldn't tell someone! That'd be all. :D

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
True. Not sure if I like these Deadline metals as someone from good ol' Europe but will be interesting for sure so fine idea there! (Some more nice ideas as well). We'll see what kind of chaos you raised there...

Make it that the thug also survives 'friendly fire' and I'm fine! ;)

Oh, and make me a thug of course. I wouldn't tell someone! That'd be all. :D
i am interested to see how it plays out.
on the one hand, the ww can be very powerful, depending on what they get.
on the other hand, the citizen have a lot of options, some of which can synergize significantly to nail the Inquisitors/ww

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.