Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smdewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Hi All:

Currently, ShopDiscover has a 5% cash back on Apple. Has anyone any experience with this PLUS the Apple Education discount?

It seems that the "regular" Apple online store has a distinct shopping card from the "education" Apple online store.

Since Discover takes you to the regular one, I would assume I *CANNOT* use both?

Anyone ever done this?

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
i was able to get both. first click on the link from shopdiscover. then, once in the apple store, click on the education store. buy with your discover card. worked for me.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
I was not able to make it work...

on the Gov't Apple Store, no 5% bonus showed up, even linking directly from discover card.

Matt Phoenix

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2006
I created a similar thread back in June, because I was wondering the exact same thing. I just thought it would be too good to be true that you could get the educational discount + free iPod Touch + free printer plus 5% cashback. But guess what? It worked. In addition, since you're charged for the iPod/printer (only to get a rebate check later), you get 5% cashback on those, too! Seriously, best deal ever.

kali.y

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
Los Angeles
Hi All:

Currently, ShopDiscover has a 5% cash back on Apple. Has anyone any experience with this PLUS the Apple Education discount?

It seems that the "regular" Apple online store has a distinct shopping card from the "education" Apple online store.

Since Discover takes you to the regular one, I would assume I *CANNOT* use both?

Anyone ever done this?

Yes, it definitely does work to combine the ShopDiscover 5% cashback with the Apple Online Education Discount (I know this thread is a little old, but for anyone wondering if it still works, it does -- I just did it in March). Just make sure you go to the Apple site through ShopDiscover (login to your account) and then click "Education Store" in the left-hand column at the Apple site. (They don't ask for your student ID or anything, just your school's name -- use the zipcode search feature.)

The only things you don't get cashback on are shipping (which is free) and taxes. Got my printer rebate check within 30 days and the cashback bonus posted to my Discover account on the next statement.

Plus, if you've met your minimum spend for the year (on mine it's $3,000) you get 1% cashback on all purchases, so I actually got 6% cashback from ShopDiscover. Not bad, not bad at all! (And note that if you register for the bday promo, you get double cashback during your birthday month on purchases up to $500 so that's 7% on $500 and 6% on the rest.)

Be sure to read the fine print on the ShopDiscover link to Apple -- there's no cashback on iPads (1 or 2) or gift certificates, wrapping, etc.

@RGunner -- a little late to respond, but make sure you go to "Education Store" not "Government Store."

obiegrad

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
One other note on this it works on apple care and with in store pickup. We ordered on a computer in the store, left and had dinner, and then returned to pick it up.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
So could I just go to the apple store and use my Discover credit card and get the education discount there? Or, do I have shop online at the apple store to receive the discount?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The ShopDiscover 5% CashBack bonus I THINK only applies when buying through the ShopDiscover site (which then links to the Apple page but using unique URL's I think) and MAY not allow you to get the education pricing. Theoretically since the 5% back is a Discover thing and is added to your CashBack bonus balance at the time your statement closes you theoretically should be able to get the education pricing also, but that may be through a different portal/URL.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I haven't tried it with the Educational Store discount recently (last time was 2 years ago) but it worked for the Refurbished Store a couple months ago.

You just have to enter through the ShopDiscover site. Don't leave the Apple site until you have made your purchase. You won't see the discount at the time of purchase -- you will get an email of "thanks" and get the credit on your Discovercard statement in a month.

hmyl

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2015
California
On July 3, 2015, I bought a 2015 13" rMBP by navigating through the Discover Deals section of the Discover mobile app to get to the online Apple Education store. I also bought a VGA dongle and AppleCare. I picked up the items in the store on the same day, and I saw the 5% back on my next Discover statement on July 18, 2015. YMMV. Note that the current fine print says that the new 2015 12" MacBook is excluded from the 5% back deal, but the 2015 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models qualify.

Full fine print as of July 23, 2015 excludes:
MacBook (this is the 2015 12" model only), Apple Watch, pre-order/pre-sale merchandise, iTunes, limit 5 units per eligible product, limit 2 iPhones within 30-day period, Apple 1 to 1 Membership, Employee Purchase Program, Bose, gift wrap, gift card, gift certificates, shipping, taxes/fees

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Yep. In post #11 I said I hadn't tried it in the Educational Store in two years (and the post was over a year ago). However since then, and in fact a couple of months ago, I got the Discover 5% discount on AppleCare purchased from the Educational Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.