Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

notability.png
Popular note taking app Notability has been named Apple's App of the Week, and as a result, it is available as a free download for the first time since it was released in 2011.

Notability allows users to make sketches, take notes, annotate documents, sign contracts, record lectures, and more. It supports input via a finger or stylus and includes palm rejection to make note taking easier.

In addition to touch-based input, the app has a built-in text editor and it also has the ability to record audio. Notability lets users import documents in a wide variety of formats, including PDF, DOC, and PPT.

Notability is a universal app and it has iCloud support, so notes can be transferred between the iPad and the iPhone. It also has support for several different services, including Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive.
Welcome to Notability, a powerful note-taker on iPad and iPhone: sketch ideas, annotate documents, sign contracts, complete worksheets, keep a journal, record a lecture, jot travel notes, or teach a class. With iCloud support, your notes always travel with you!

Write, illustrate and annotate using gorgeous ink. Notability's zoom window helps you quickly and clearly draw every detail, while the palm rest protects your notes from unwanted marks. Choose the right pen and paper for any project.
As Apple's App of the Week, Notability will be available as a free download from the App Store for the next seven days. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Notability' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Never tried it but the icon is 1,000,000 times better than Notes on iOS 7! Long live Notes iOS 6!

Amen to that. I've seen lot of notes app... on android, that puts Jony Ive's notes to shame. BTW you should check out Notability. It's not just one the best notes taking app but one the best app on iOS.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Awesome! Seems to have more built-in features and a more usable UI than Evernote. Not sure I'll be keeping Evernote on my iPad mini ;)

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Downloaded it too. It was on my wish list, but then I got Noteshelf. Anyone have any comments about the PDF annotations?

Awesome app. Best all round note app IMHO. Pdf annotations can be a weakness though as the exported PDF file is flattened so you lose bookmarks, index etc. it's fine for signing PDFs or for marking up small two or three page files but for annotating larger files there are better apps out there.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I just noticed yesterday and decided to download it directly. I'm thinking of using my iPad Mini for voice recording, while taking notes during lectures.

Just a question, how much memory space does voice recordings take up? I only have the 16GB Mini, and it's nearly full already. If I were to empty it, how many ≈2hr lectures would I be able to keep in Notability?

Thanks!

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Downloaded it too. It was on my wish list, but then I got Noteshelf. Anyone have any comments about the PDF annotations?

Notability lets you import a pdf straight into an existing notebook. There it becomes a layer underneath the note page itself, and you'd work on it like in a regular notebook.
Noteshelf treats a pdf as a different resource, and some things are different from a regular notebook: you can pinch to zoom, but the inking is less fluent. You can add a page, but only a blank one.

----------

Wow, talking about skeuomorphism :eek:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I just noticed yesterday and decided to download it directly. I'm thinking of using my iPad Mini for voice recording, while taking notes during lectures.

Just a question, how much memory space does voice recordings take up? I only have the 16GB Mini, and it's nearly full already. If I were to empty it, how many ≈2hr lectures would I be able to keep in Notability?

Thanks!

They'd be less than 20MB, so easily like two years worth. Hahaha.

Thank you Donka and GerritV.

I think I'll stick to my other app for PDFs then.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Is there a way to sync notes to my desktop machine without having to export them with this app?

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I wasn't aware it did, that's great. Can you give me your impressions on the Jot Script? I'm really done with these fat tipped styli and want to give it a try.

Thank you.

I love it. If I had a complaint, it might be too responsive. Sometimes, I don't get a clear delineation between letters. I mean I can still read it, but IMO, it looks a little sloppy. :p

Is it worth the $80ish? I think so, but you need to be someone who wants to write on their iPad. I have not tried any art programs, so I cannot say if it works. Pairing Penultimate with Evernote is nice. That is how I have been using it for the most part. I sort of wish Onenote for iPad supported free writing, but I have not found out how to enable it if it does. I'm considering migrating from Dropbox to OneDrive, especially with the Office for iPad. Besides, I get a lot more drive space with OneDrive (30GB vs. 3GB). I also have an Office 365 University subscription.

Let me know if you have specific questions. May make more sense to start a dedicated thread. If you do, let me know and I can post my thoughts specific to your questions.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I love it. If I had a complaint, it might be too responsive. Sometimes, I don't get a clear delineation between letters. I mean I can still read it, but IMO, it looks a little sloppy. :p

Is it worth the $80ish? I think so, but you need to be someone who wants to write on their iPad. I have not tried any art programs, so I cannot say if it works. Pairing Penultimate with Evernote is nice. That is how I have been using it for the most part. I sort of wish Onenote for iPad supported free writing, but I have not found out how to enable it if it does. I'm considering migrating from Dropbox to OneDrive, especially with the Office for iPad. Besides, I get a lot more drive space with OneDrive (30GB vs. 3GB). I also have an Office 365 University subscription.

Let me know if you have specific questions. May make more sense to start a dedicated thread. If you do, let me know and I can post my thoughts specific to your questions.

Would be curious how it performs with Notability - perhaps even a short Youtube clip?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.