Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As first noted by MacStories, Apple today launched a "Best of April" section in the App Store, rounding up the best new apps, updates and games released within the past month.

best_of_april.jpg
At the top, the new section highlights the "Best App & Game" with separate picks for both the iPhone and iPad. For the iPhone, Apple selected The New York Times' NYT Now news curation app and physics-based adventure game Leo's Fortune, while Comedy Central's official iOS app and Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft were chosen for the iPad.

Also included are picks for "Great Games" and "Amazing Apps", which features new and recently updated apps including Monument Valley, SpeakaZoo, Hitman GO, and Union.

It is likely that Apple will regularly update this section with a new collection of apps every month, and joins the App Store's other highlighted sections for "App of the Week" and "Editors Choice". Apple also rolled out an "Indie Game Showcase" section on the App Store last month.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New Monthly App Store Section Highlighting Best Apps, Games, and Updates

elmomac

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2007
Great that apps that already got a big promotion get promoted again. m(
I would like to see great apps that never had the chance to reach the top 400 to get promoted instead of the same old things we see on the front page.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I would like to see great apps that never had the chance to reach the top 400 to get promoted instead of the same old things we see on the front page.

Look at the other collections. They've always showcased lots of different things.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK

This ^

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

atleast they are making an effort? =/. Maybe if they miss something they will add it in this way?

You think games are bad? take a look at the sports "Best New Apps" section. There is not 1 app on there from 2014. Most of the apps on this "new" section have been around for 3-5 years...

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
This might for once be a useful section. But than again, I still find the iTunes store looking somehow overloaded. The redesign introduced with iTunes 11 was an improvement though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.