Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple does not have plans to use the company's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference to debut new Apple TV hardware, its related software, or the iWatch, reports John Paczkowski of Re/code.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, Paczkowski confirms that Apple's big announcements will focus on OS X 10.10, iOS 8, and possibly Healthbook, an app Apple is said to be developing to aggregate fitness and health information.

appletvtouch_2.jpg
Sources familiar with Apple's plans tell Code/red that Tim Cook will not use WWDC to unveil Apple's mythical wearable device. Nor will he use it to show off a new Apple TV, or even preview the new software the company is developing for it. Which makes perfect sense, really. There's little point in Apple unveiling a new OS in advance of a significant hardware update.
Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, which starts on June 2, has historically been used as a platform for unveiling new operating system software. Apple has, however, occasionally debuted new hardware at the event, including new MacBook Airs in 2013 and the Retina Macbook Pro in 2012.

Though the company does not have plans to unveil an updated Apple TV set-top box at WWDC, the product is said to be in the works. The revamped box is rumored to include an App Store, gaming support, iOS 7 controller integration, and possibly new content deals.

Apple may have had plans to debut the box earlier in 2014, but according to a recent product roadmap from often reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, we may not see an updated Apple TV until the third quarter of 2014.

As for the iWatch, which also remains in development, a late 2014 release date is expected.

Article Link: No Revamped Apple TV or iWatch Expected at WWDC

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I think this was pretty much expected. Apple will use WWDC to outline major design changes to OSX and slight changes and updates to iOS. There may be a slight hint at Mac hardware, but nothing outside of that really. WWDC is about software, not hardware - ultimately.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
For those of us looking for big news out of WWDC it's going to be a boring and disappointing keynote. And a big Fall. I hope.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
well they tend to just show more software than hardware at WWDC so this doesn't surprise me. They will probably have a separate event for those since they are kind of a big deal

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I've always wondered whether the iWatch is a question of if or when.

We haven't seen any part leaks or any code leaks indicating a new device.

The only evidence we have so far is the fact that Apple is moving towards a focus on health. There're also the iWatch domain names being snapped up by Apple, but I don't think that that solidifies anything.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
That's disappointing. But a new iPhone and Ives-designed OS X will be more than enough for me.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
They could at least show the new software for the ATV. That thing needs an update badly.

Psypher

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
What about iPhone? With all of these iPhone 6 leaks, maybe we'll see the 4.7 inch iPhone 6 announced at WWDC. Then the September event can focus on the iWatch, Apple TV, and the 5.5 or 5.7 inch iPhone 6.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If the iWatch is coming out this year, it will be demoed at WWDC so that developers can have an opportunity to optimise their software for the new hardware. As Nike pulled out of their tech wearable hardware business very recently, the timing would suggest that Apple would demo their iWatch in a month's time.

If they don't then it's almost certain the iWatch will be demoed and released in 2015, though I'm keeping my fingers crossed and still half-suspect it'll be shown very soon.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Updated MacBook Pros and iMacs is what I am concerned with!!

I am holding off on my purchase until WWDC for this specific reason.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Revealing new AppleTV along with an App Store for it would be the cherry on top in a developers conference. Same for the iWatch.

I don't know why Cook would "not use WWDC to unveil this".

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
It'd be surprising if they announce iOS 8 Healthbook whitout the iWatch :confused:

exactly. I feel like they won't announce Healthbook yet unless it'll somehow be able to function with other 3rd party fitness accessories or if it can track certain things that the iPhone is already capable of tracking.

I expect new Macs, iOS 8 and OS X 10.10, but nothing more.

looks like there will be an event in September and one in October.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
If true, that would be a bummer not only for not having a new Apple TV, but it seems like if a new Apple TV has an SDK, they'd announce it at WWDC.

The iWatch I can kind of understand not announcing if it won't have an SDK (initially).

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
You are probably right but they'll have to announce something or the stock will tank. I was hoping for an Apple TV SDK for better gaming support of iOS devices though.

iOS 8 and OSX 10.10.

This is a developer conference. They haven't announced hardware there beyond Macs in 3 years, I believe. Also, they're probably going to announce the retina 12" Airs.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i really like this concept of Apple TV and that remote controls with touch panels and colour match of the product, its really like Apple premium product

And for WWDC i really exited for the new interface for MACOS

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
If apple is going to release an App Store for Apple TV I fully expect them to show off the new tv interface at WWDC. If we don't see it then I expexct the Apple TV App Store will be limited to select third parties that apple allows to release apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.