Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple allegedly is looking beyond the iWatch wearable device and may be creating a new health and fitness ecosystem modeled on its successful iOS App Store, claims a mobile health executive who recently spoke to Reuters. Similar to the iOS App Store, this new platform may allow companies to develop their own mobile medical applications that could tie into Apple's iWatch wearable device.
One mobile health executive, who asked not to be named, told Reuters he recently sat down with an Apple executive from the iWatch team. He said the company has aspirations beyond wearable devices, and is considering a full health and fitness services platform modeled on its apps store.
As part of iOS 8 later this year, Apple is rumored to be launching a new Healthbook app, which is expected to serve as a repository for health-related data acquired from a variety of sources. Based on the breadth of data the app appears to be able to track, it is unsurprising that Apple will be looking to open up the ecosystem to third parties to help users fill out all of the various content areas.

One company that could benefit from an Apple health and fitness ecosystem is Nike, which has scaled back its work on its Fuelband hardware to focus on expanding its software-based NikeFuel platform. Though Nike CEO Mark Parker would not directly comment on specific plans with Apple, Parker did note in a recent CNBC appearance that Apple is a longtime partner and that he is "excited about where that relationship will go forward."

iwatch-concept-nike.jpg
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton, based on the Nike FuelBand​
Much of today's report focuses on Apple's health- and sensor-related hires over the past several years, most of which have previously been detailed and which have been focused around non-invasive monitoring of vital health parameters such as sleep, oxygen saturation and blood glucose levels. Apple has hired talent from notable companies such as pulse oximetry company Masimo, medical sensor company Vital Connect and Philips Sleep Research.

Apple's latest reported hire is MIT researcher Eric Winokur, who worked on ear-worn devices for monitoring blood pressure and heart rate. Information about Winokur's hiring surfaced alongside a sketchy rumor claiming Apple is planning to launch an EarPods model with integrated heart rate and blood pressure sensors. While a new Tumblr blog post reveals that the claim was indeed fabricated, Apple patent applications suggest the company has indeed considered the integration of biometric sensors into its headphone line in the past.

Apple's sensor-laden iWatch has been rumored for several years, with most recent rumors suggesting that it may debut late this year. It is not expected to be unveiled at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference set for early June.

Article Link: Apple Considering 'Full Health and Fitness Services Platform' Modeled on the App Store

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Looking at this image, I'm starting to think there is no iWatch. But rather, a series of iRings. One for each finger.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
If the Apple wearable looks similar to these mockups, I am interested. A watch, no thanks!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This is excellent for the sliver of society that has health concerns. Perhaps health fear mongers can drum up ever-advancing sales, however it seems like a stab at a margin of the market which might not pan out to be more than a sub-augenblick of kitsch.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
He sat down with the executive team, as in Apple asked him to release a controlled leak?

Also, this is my favorite concept so far. The user interface looks very sleek and Apple-like.

iwatch-concept-03.png

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
iRing for the married couple because there is no point to wear a ring only just to be seen that you are married. so there will be a much deeper functionality for a married couple or single as well

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Looking at this image, I'm starting to think there is no iWatch. But rather, a series of iRings. One for each finger.

In my opinion this is so far the closest concept of what an wrist wearable from Apple may look like. And we are all gonna be laughing when the name is gonna be totally different.

----------

Also, this is my favorite concept so far. The user interface looks very sleek and Apple-like.

With them huge buttons on the side? I am not sure that is sleek and Apple like.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Totally agree. It's going to be the iRing!

Perhaps that was said in jest, but I would love it if there was the functionality of Fitbit in a ring. I've stepped away from wearing watches in the last year. I wouldn't mind having a nice sleek, band on my finger that could monitor movement. I wear a couple of rings everyday. There aren't any stones, they're not beaming with diamonds and glamorous, but I wear them. Doubtful that we'll see it, of course.

I like the mockup above. I don't want my health records online for all to access (in spite of security, we know how flawed that is) but I wouldn't mind wearing something like that if it had a low profile and was comfortable. I should just get a fitbit, now that I think about it.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I could not agree with you more. The health industry is HUGE and growing.

Everyone cares about their health... even those who say they don't... should.

Apple is about to give them a great reason to start paying attention.

The elbow from the sky is incoming...

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
With them huge buttons on the side? I am not sure that is sleek and Apple like.

I was really talking about the software on the screen, not the device itself. The hardware will look a lot better than that, but I think the creator of the concept has a better idea of the direction apple will take than most software-wise.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
Can't wait!
If Apple enables the detection and possibly prevention of heart attacks then they will have far more reaching effects than just transforming the music industry and phone industries.
Personally I have had sleep apnea for many years. It was the cause of me having heart surgery. It can cause everything from stroke to depression, and some experts think as many as 95% of people that have it, don't even know about it. This watch could possibly detect the 95%.
Oh, you are probably thinking oh, this guy is old. Nope I am in my 30s.
Bring on the revolution!

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I was really talking about the software on the screen, not the device itself. The hardware will look a lot better than that, but I think the creator of the concept has a better idea of the direction apple will take than most software-wise.

I honestly would be very very surprised if it would look anything like a watch.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Integration w/ healthcare providers

If health care providers accept integration of data from apps that are collecting vitals and other health related information this could be a huge market.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If the Apple wearable looks similar to these mockups, I am interested. A watch, no thanks!

Yep, I've changed my thinking around. Initially wanted a smartwatch, but now I really want a smartband, NOT a watch replacement. I have a feeling Apple will come out with both.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

I believe John Gruber had speculated that there may be a whole line of various wearables, including rings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.