Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ahrendtsheadshot1.jpg
New Apple Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores Angela Ahrendts has received a signing bonus potentially worth $68 million at current share prices, in the form of 113,334 restricted stock units that vest over the next four years.

Ahrendts will receive shares spread over several different vesting periods between June 1, 2014 and June 14, 2018, assuming Ahrendts stays with the company. Were Apple's share price to rise, the RSUs could potentially be worth significantly more over that time.

A restricted stock unit is a standard form of stock compensation that reward employees for staying with the company. They are used as general compensation and for employee retention. Each RSU converts to one share of stock on its vesting date, typically set annually based on award date.

Because of Apple's upcoming 7:1 stock split, awarded RSUs will be multiplied by seven to maintain value. Apple does award dividends to employee holders of RSUs as if they were standard shares, so the more than 110,000 shares that Ahrendts holds will be worth nearly $1.5 million in yearly dividend payments.

Angela Ahrendts officially joined Apple earlier this month.

Article Link: New Retail SVP Angela Ahrendts Receives Signing Bonus Worth $68 Million

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
That's more than I'll make in my lifetime. And she gets that just for signing on to Apple? Dang.

huggyb

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
is anybody really worth that kind of signing bonus when they haven't even seen how she performs? So weird to me, imo.

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
That's more than I'll make in my lifetime. And she gets that just for signing on to Apple? Dang.

Assuming you average $200K p/a income over your 40yr working life (lucky you) her sign-on bonus is more than you'd make in 8 of your lifetimes. Jus saying'.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
68.0 > 13.5

Wow, nice landing Angela! No wonder she left that 13.5 million (£8 million) share bonus on the table upon her early Burberry exit.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
is anybody really worth that kind of signing bonus when they haven't even seen how she performs? So weird to me, imo.

I think it's paid out in yearly dividends (as stated in article). This encourages a long-term career at Apple.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

They vest over time. She only gets the full amount if she stays on board for the entire time.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I don't know if she is worth that or not, but Apple's board of directors thought John Browett and Mark Papermaster were the second coming, and they both flamed out in a big way. I just seems like a lot of money for someone who has yet to show any accomplishments.

Then again, this is the same board that grants Bill Campbell the corporate version of tenure...

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007

Let's hope she does not quit before her first day at work.

----------

All she's got to do is make sure everything stays the same.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The headline is a bit disingenuous. Her bonus isn't $68m, as pointed out in the actual article, but who reads anything but the headline around here. It's 113,334 RSUs. The dollar value is TBD since they have to vest before they are worth more than a plug nickel. The entire market could plummet 6% on June 1 over something unrelated Apple and she's SOL.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I don't know if she is worth that or not, but Apple's board of directors thought John Browett and Mark Papermaster were the second coming, and they both flamed out in a big way. I just seems like a lot of money for someone who has yet to show any accomplishments. ....

She ONLY gets the money if she can stay four year. That means doing well enough to not get fired.

In other words, if it turns out she is NOT worth the $68M they fire her before the stocks vest.

Last edited by a moderator:

shiftless

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Yet another example of the stupidity of the planet. NO ONE is worth that!
From clothing to tech even.. what were they thinking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.