Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is updating its Google Maps app today, boosting the app's turn-by-turn direction capabilities. Google Maps will now show drivers which lane to use through its new lane guidance feature and it's also easier to access alternate routes while navigating.

While Google Maps has always supported the storage of maps for use offline, there's now a specific "save maps to use offline" option within the app, making it easier to keep track of saved routes. The app has gained new filters to let users browse restaurant and venue selections based on hours, ratings, price, and more, and specific points of interest can be saved to the app.

googlemapsapp.jpg
Don't worry if you're not online. Before setting off on your next vacation, hike, or roadtrip, search for an area and tap on its place info sheet, then when available, you can select "Save map to use offline," and give your map a custom name, like "Toronto Vacation." To find your offline maps, sign-in, tap the profile icon next to the search box in the top right corner, and scroll to see "Toronto Vacation" and other saved maps.
In select cities, Google Maps will integrate with Uber, letting users compare an Uber ride option with transit and walking directions to determine the faster travel option. Google's newest update is rolling out to users today and should be available on the iPhone and the iPad shortly.

Google Maps can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Gains Uber Integration, Lane Guidance, Improved Offline Maps

misterpip

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2011
I will use whatever map app that gets me there quicker, more accurately and safer.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Saving maps for offline guidance is something that needs to be in Apple maps. Its really a neat feature

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I've been avoiding Google Maps for turn by turn but this... This might make me change my mind.

PS: Please lose the "Uber." It sounds childish.

Edit: It seems Uber does exist...

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Funny, the previous article talks about Apple suing Google yet we have an article about Google updating Maps for iOS. I bet the next article will be about the use of Samsung components in iPhone 6. People want to hate the competition but they still use their resources. That's like a vegetarian that kills animals for sport.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
With Apple reportedly pulling iOS engineers to help with OS X, it looks like Apple Maps will fall further behind. I sure hope Apple has something great up their sleeves.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Excellent. More control over offline map storage has been my no.1 wish since I got an iPhone.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Funny, the previous article talks about Apple suing Google yet we have an article about Google updating Maps for iOS. I bet the next article will be about the use of Samsung components in iPhone 6. People want to hate the competition but they still use their resources. That's like a vegetarian that kills animals for sport.

You do realize they make money off it and it isn't for charity right?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013

As long as they don’t eat the animal I’d hardly call it hypocritical. Maybe a little ethically confusing, but maybe they really like hunting and are only vegetarian due to cholesterol, or something like that.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Lane guidance is something I've been wanting for a while. I'll give Google another shot next time I need a map.

I see no reason to hate Google for maps. They're competing with Apple and so in the end the people who win are you and I, the consumers that end up having better apps to use regardless of which app we happen to prefer.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
So much for lane guidance... if you want to get to the Bay Bridge and you're unfamiliar with the area enough to be using lane guidance, from that point you should be in lane #2, because lane #3 is exit-only at 4th Street. Changing lanes in the curves makes it more difficult for unfamiliar drivers. Unless they're trying to turn you into a last-second solid-line-crosser.

Then again, I've seen how some Google self-driving cars actually drive and maybe the Maps app is programmed with bad habits similar to those the cars exhibit.

iPhone7s

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014
Still no offline maps for Spain. Would be very handy for saving on data costs when I go to Barcelona on holidays.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Man, I've been trying to stick with Apple Maps, but Google keeps widening the distance between the two. If Google Maps would add Night Mode, I'd leave Apple's product altogether.

marvin4653

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Who are these "people"? Macrumors reported two separate and independent news stories. Apple is the party suing to enforce its patent rights, but suing to enforce patent rights does not equal hating the alleged infringer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.