Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Nice poster collections everyone! Sorry to have such a large thread revival but I just wanted to do an update..
I now have every one of the 10 small ones! They will look great on the wall! Has anyone else added something to their collections?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I finally managed to get a GENUINE Einstein 24x36" poster from eBay a couple weeks ago, it took FOREVER to find one, at least one that was not damaged. The last two I saw had major creasing damage and were posted about 2 or 3 years ago. The Einstein genuine 24x36" poster does not come up on eBay very often and is extremely rare. I won the auction (24 bids) and paid $256.00 for the poster. It's roughly the same amount I see the Richard Feynman posters go for, but I am a serious collector and really have been wanting this one. I would honestly not pay over $300 for any TD 24x36" poster, that is about my limit. This one is not a fake, it is a genuine, the seller was parting out a set from the first series. Awhile back an eBay seller was selling a "reportedly genuine" Dalai Lama for $599 (however mounted to foam board), a Francis Ford Coppolla and Charlie Chaplin for $999 each and a rare Flik the Ant poster for $1499. I did not buy any of these, but would have been interested in the Dalai Lama if it was not permanently glued to a foam board, and the price could be negotiated. That is a neat poster that got pulled from the series. All in all, just good to have the Einstein now in my arsenal, plan to buy a few new frames and put part of my collection on the walls this weekend.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Sadly you can not sell outside of the marketplace, in 6 months and 250 (?) posts later.

I finally managed to get a GENUINE Einstein 24x36" poster from eBay a couple weeks ago, it took FOREVER to find one, at least one that was not damaged. The last two I saw had major creasing damage and were posted about 2 or 3 years ago. The Einstein genuine 24x36" poster does not come up on eBay very often and is extremely rare. I won the auction (24 bids) and paid $256.00 for the poster. It's roughly the same amount I see the Richard Feynman posters go for, but I am a serious collector and really have been wanting this one. I would honestly not pay over $300 for any TD 24x36" poster, that is about my limit. This one is not a fake, it is a genuine, the seller was parting out a set from the first series. Awhile back an eBay seller was selling a "reportedly genuine" Dalai Lama for $599 (however mounted to foam board), a Francis Ford Coppolla and Charlie Chaplin for $999 each and a rare Flik the Ant poster for $1499. I did not buy any of these, but would have been interested in the Dalai Lama if it was not permanently glued to a foam board, and the price could be negotiated. That is a neat poster that got pulled from the series. All in all, just good to have the Einstein now in my arsenal, plan to buy a few new frames and put part of my collection on the walls this weekend.
Congrats! I spent a lot of money on frames as i have the set of 10 smaller ones. I cant wait to get them up! (finishing some renos!) I think you got a great deal, enjoy!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I was lucky enough to get in on an auction last week for Nine of the 24x26" Posters, which were all in great shape, with four being the complete Set #4 New-In-Tube, the others were from Set #1 and had been previously framed, only paid $411 for all nine posters, which was quite a steal.

So I have a pretty nice collection going. There are only a few I am lacking right now...I gave my Martha Graham poster away to a girl across the street who is into Ballet, I thought it would be a good birthday gift (however I regret giving it away now given the value, but still it was a nice gift).

I have:

Albert Einstein
Thomas Edison
Amelia Earhart
Mahatma Ghandi
Joan Baez
Miles Davis
Ansel Adams
Alfred Hitchcock
Pablo Picasso
Richard Feynman
Jackie Robinson
Frank Sinatra
Cesar Chavez
Rosa Parks
Buzz Aldrin
Lucy & Desi
Flik the Ant (yes, I have this one)

...so that is 17 of them I have, but in total I have about 30 of the 24x36" posters in my collection, given my duplicates and triplicates of some.

(several of these I have multiples)

So here are the ones I am lacking:

Martha Graham
Bob Dylan
Ted Turner
Maria Callas
Jim Henson
Dalai Lama (unreleased)
Charlie Chaplin (unreleased)
Frank Capra (unreleased)
Francis Ford Coppola (unreleased)

The most sought-after ones I have seen are the original Einstein, the Richard Feynman, and the Buzz Aldrin, all hard to find and demand top-dollar. Also these are very neat science and tech-related figures. It appears that the authentic Einstein posters were not produced in large quantities, this was also one of the first produced. Set #4 (Feynman, Chavez, Sinatra, Robinson) is a very popular set with collectors and a neat one to own.

The original Buzz Aldrin posters are getting very very scarce and the Dalai Lama poster is nearly impossible to find. The only Dalai Lama I have seen on eBay was up last year, and it was mounted to foam board. That poster was listed for $500, which is out of my price range for even a non-mounted poster.

The best place to find them is eBay, in the Vintage Computing --> Apple section. Usually a few are posted each day (mostly the 11x17 kind). The ones coming out of Italy are all reproductions and not authentic, as are the ones from Germany. If it is 50x70cm, it is not authentic. That is 20x28" roughly and is not a size Apple produced them in. There are only ten in the 11x17 size, and the 21 or 22 I listed above (except for the unreleased ones) in the 24x36" size. Most of the 24x36" ones are authentic, but beware, there ARE fakes. It you stick to USA buyers you will be safer off.

OK, enough for now, just wanted to write an update.
-Ward

goldfishdave

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Think different Poster Collection

My collection of TD posters consists of:

24X36 TD Posters

Set #1: (in original tube: L02761A) - excellent condition

• Alfred Hitchcock
  • Amelia Earhart
  • Thomas Edison
  • Gandhi
  • Picasso

I also have an almost complete set #1 - in fair - good condition

• Alfred Hitchcock (fair - good)
  • Amelia Earhart (fair - good)
  • Picasso (fair - good)
  • Gandhi (good - very good)

Set #2:

• Joan Baez
  • Maria Callas
  • Martha Graham
  • Ted Turner

Set #3

• Lucy and Desi (very good - excellent) - two of these - one in original tube.
  • Jim Henson
  • Miles Davis (fair - good, slight tear)

Set #4

• Jackie Robinson (2 both in very good to excellent, as a baseball fan - and being born and raised in brooklyn, this poster has special meaning to me!)
  • Rosa Parks

11X17 Educator Set

• TD Original Educator Box (I currently have two original boxes) - with Bio and Orginal Paper work

• 2 Complete Sets of 10 - 11X17 Posters (very good to excellent)
  • 9 11x17 posters (ranging from fair to very good, mixed set some laminated, some with a few issues (stains, tack holes, etc)

1998: The Year of Thinking Different Book

[*] 2 of these collectible books. One in Excellent condition, and one in Good to Very Good Condition.

Would love to complete my set, but prices have been crazy lately.

Last edited:

doherrick

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
See, that is the original. It is more of the poster with Buzz taking up most of the poster. The ones that are coming out of Germany (the 24x36" size) being sold on eBay is the one I have, which is more of a distant shot showing the moondust in the foreground, it is not as much of a close-up as your poster. But it is the 24"x36" size and look VERY VERY good and VERY authentic, although I know it is probably a reprint. He has also been selling numerous 24x36" Einstein posters along with other ones in the series. His Einstein posters are a poor reproduction, because as you know, in the originals you can see the stitches in Einstein's sweater...but in the fakes, the print is so contrasted and dark that the sweater just shows up as solid black. I will show you:

Authentic Einstein poster image:

Fake Einstein poster on eBay (notice the darker image):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Think-Different...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a67d0defb#ht_500wt_1156

I have 5 of the 24" x 36", all mint, professionally framed in black metal, NOT glued to the matt board:

1) Einstein
2) Picasso (alternate view, hand on face)
3) Dylan
4) Ansel Adams (Landscape format)
5) Dhali Llama

I am wondering about your description and links of real/fake Einstein. I purchased mine 11-12 years ago. Mine has the apple and Think different on the rigth side like in the "fake" but all the stiching / knitting is clearly visible. It looks like the 11" x 17" version, but it is 24" x 36". Don't know of fakes from that era.

I purchased all 5 from a reputable dealer who specialized in Apple stuff. He no longer active. I think his store was simply called "Think Different" I had them framed locally at a mom & pop place that till this day keeps all their records on 3 x 5 index cards.

I plan to sell all 5. Any advice / links on how to authenticate? I certainly would not knowingly sell a fake.

Will list in the Market Place sometime this summer.

Last edited:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Sounds like your Einstein is 100% authentic, and it probably is. There were a couple of online stores selling Think different posters a few years back.

1. The Missing Bite (They sold many authentic posters, high priced)
2. RedLightRunner (Also sold think different posters, high priced)

There was also a German seller who had an online store, I am not sure about the authenticity of his, he sold many of the 28x20" size which was not an official size.

If you do have a 24x36" Dalai Lama Poster, I would be VERY interested in that poster in particular. I've been trying to find one for very long, with little luck at all. They are very hard to find. There are only 3 posters in the entire 24x36" series I am lacking at this point, and the Dalai Lama is one of them. I don't have a Bob Dylan or a Maria Callas either, but the Maria Callas should be easy to get. All of the others I have. It's been a goal of mine to collect the complete set -- I'm doing it partially from a collector's standpoint and partially as an investment. I plan to hold them for awhile and maybe sell the collection later at one point in a few years.

Please get back to me about the Dalai Lama poster, because I would be very interested in seeing your asking price and working out a deal. Thanks.

rukenzie2

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Apple Think Different Poster

I bought my Think Different posters directly from Apple (back when I was a rep for Apple), so I know they are genuine. I gave some away and traded a few, but never hung any of them. Many of the eBay ones are indeed fakes, and the genuine ones from The Missing Bite and Redlight Runner are pricey. I still have the following ones, all in perfect condition in tubes, except the Rosa Parks, which has a slight tear along the edge:

Rosa Parks
Richard Feynman
Jim Henson
Ansel Adams
Miles Davis

I also have lots of posters from that era of iMacs, iBooks, and so on. Yum, Yin/Yang, and so on. Sometimes Apple shipped double the amount of posters I needed, so I just stored the rest.

Actually, I also have lots of old Mac software, so let me know if you are looking for anything in particular. The first Mac I used was a Mac Plus, but I have used many models over the years. My husband thinks I should clean out some of my Apple stuff; I'm not so sure.

nutsinajar

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Irish/Britain editions

I have a Gandhi 27.5 x 39 ,internal frame measurements that my father had got me about 10 years ago from a graphics company he worked for. The think different slogan is in black as is the copyright which is dated 1998 and located slightly different from what i think are the American prints, i know it to be an origanal as from the time i got it plus why change the colour type and copyright date and location to pass it off as a fake.........i would'nt think many of them exist out there like this one !

pjv1990

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Just picked up the Joan Baez poster in mint condition for £20+p&p, got over half price off as it was for sale for over £40!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to group some ebay links in the categories fake/not fake to better inform future buyers?

cothomps

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
Two in My Office

I have two Apple posters hanging in my office.

1) The Jim Henson poster:

7685408516_21648a64c9.jpg

2) The Richard Feynman poster:

7685404694_31192bea84.jpg

I also have in good condition the Miles Davis and Frank Sinatra posters, and a Thomas Edison that isn't in such good condition. I obtained all of them in the 2001-2002 timeframe and framed the two on the wall myself.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
If you do have a 24x36" Dalai Lama Poster, I would be VERY interested in that poster in particular. I've been trying to find one for very long, with little luck at all. They are very hard to find. There are only 3 posters in the entire 24x36" series I am lacking at this point, and the Dalai Lama is one of them. I don't have a Bob Dylan or a Maria Callas either, but the Maria Callas should be easy to get. All of the others I have. It's been a goal of mine to collect the complete set -- I'm doing it partially from a collector's standpoint and partially as an investment. I plan to hold them for awhile and maybe sell the collection later at one point in a few years.

Your count is off if you think you're just short 3. You're missing all the ones from the Director series so thats 5 posters there. John Huston and Orson Welles are the 2 others missing from your list that were also in the Director set with Chaplin, Coppola, Capra. Too bad all the posters from that set are so few and virtually impossible to get. Plus Dalai Lama would make 6.

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
Hello, i'm interested in these two, especially Einstein and Buzz Aldrin

Is there any source when i get some more infos to spot the original ones?

joelcannon

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
I have an original think different Apple 48x72 'Bus Shelter' poster of Einstein. It has been hanging on my ceiling and has some thumbtack holes along the edges. I am considering selling it. Not sure what it is worth. Would consider an auction on eBay - but I suspect I would need to be promoted to get enough attention. What do you suggest?
I worked at Apple for 10 years - and this is is one of my favorite memorabilia - the size and quality is remarkable. I am moving and not sure I will have a suitable spot to display it in the future. So I am willing to let it go.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Last edited:

prossie

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Looking for Posters

Hi Tiggs,

If you manage to dig up any posters please can you let me know what you would like for them, I currently have the underlined ones below however I am looking for all the ones which have not been underlined. I am only looking for orginals so if anyone wants to part with any please let me know

Current 24x36 Posters in my Collection
Pablo Picasso - Side Facing
Mahatma Gandhi
Thomas Edison
Amelia Earhart
Alfred Hitchcock
Joan Baez
Maria Callas
Martha Graham
Ted Turner
Luci&Desi
Jim Henson
Ansel Adams
Miles Davis
Bob Dylan
Richard Feynmann
Jackie Robinson
Frank Sinatra
Cesar Chavez

Still Need to Collect
Nelson Mandela
Dalai Lama
Muhammed Ali
John Lenon & Yoko Ono
Jimi Hendrix
Flik (A Bugs Life)
John Huston
Frank Capra
Orson Welles
Francis Ford Coppola
Charlie Chaplin
Rosa Parks
Bill Bernbach
Eleanor Roosevelt
Jane Goodall
Pablo Picasso - Facing Forward
Paul Rand
Richard B Fuller
Richard Branson

I appreciate any feedback or assistance in locating these posters.

I am trying to put the full set togeather for a gallery showing.

Thanking you
[doublepost=1548371140][/doublepost]I have a 24"X36" Dalai Lama which is framed got it back in the 90's
[doublepost=1548371345][/doublepost]
Looking for Posters

Hi Tiggs,

If you manage to dig up any posters please can you let me know what you would like for them, I currently have the underlined ones below however I am looking for all the ones which have not been underlined. I am only looking for orginals so if anyone wants to part with any please let me know

Current 24x36 Posters in my Collection
Pablo Picasso - Side Facing
Mahatma Gandhi
Thomas Edison
Amelia Earhart
Alfred Hitchcock
Joan Baez
Maria Callas
Martha Graham
Ted Turner
Luci&Desi
Jim Henson
Ansel Adams
Miles Davis
Bob Dylan
Richard Feynmann
Jackie Robinson
Frank Sinatra
Cesar Chavez

Still Need to Collect
Nelson Mandela
Dalai Lama
Muhammed Ali
John Lenon & Yoko Ono
Jimi Hendrix
Flik (A Bugs Life)
John Huston
Frank Capra
Orson Welles
Francis Ford Coppola
Charlie Chaplin
Rosa Parks
Bill Bernbach
Eleanor Roosevelt
Jane Goodall
Pablo Picasso - Facing Forward
Paul Rand
Richard B Fuller
Richard Branson

I appreciate any feedback or assistance in locating these posters.

I am trying to put the full set togeather for a gallery showing.

Thanking you
I have a 24x36 inch framed Dalai Lama
dalai-lama.jpg

[doublepost=1548371444][/doublepost]
Sounds like your Einstein is 100% authentic, and it probably is. There were a couple of online stores selling Think different posters a few years back.

1. The Missing Bite (They sold many authentic posters, high priced)
2. RedLightRunner (Also sold think different posters, high priced)

There was also a German seller who had an online store, I am not sure about the authenticity of his, he sold many of the 28x20" size which was not an official size.

Please get back to me about the Dalai Lama poster, because I would be very interested in seeing your asking price and working out a deal. Thanks.
I have a 24X36 Framed Dalai Lama

Attachments

• dalai-lama.jpg
    dalai-lama.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 178
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.