Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A number of mostly international iOS users on MacRumors forums, Apple's support forums, and Twitter are reporting issues with failed app updates today. According to affected users, the process of updating apps in the iOS App Store produces a warning that "the update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."

app-updates-fail.jpg
Reader Vinamra on MacRumors forums:
"I go 4 app updates today and as soon as I clicked the update button, the App Store app popped up with the following message:

"Update Unavailable with this Apple ID - This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."

I have always used a single Apple ID and this phone (5S) was bought new and have never had this problem in the past."
Member Albertus8898 on Apple Support Forums:
i didnt change or log out from my apple id at my iphone 5. But when i wanted to update one of my apps it said "update is not available for this apple id either becuase of using different id or...." then i checked my apple id's apps and most of my apps gone. what should i do to make them back to my apple id account? and i tried to delete those apps and redownload them but it gave the same message.
One user contacted an Apple Support representative, who confirmed there was a server issue on Apple's side that was affecting app updates. Apple is working on the problem, but the company has not provided a timeline for the fix.
At this time, this issue that you're experiencing with updating apps is being investigated. There are no possible fixes at this current time, as [it's] an issue with our servers, but we are working on it and should have it functioning properly later today.
While such an error message may appear when users are managing multiple accounts or changing countries, the number of complaints surfacing today and reports from several users indicating that they are only using one account with no changes in country suggest that there is indeed a broader issue with Apple's systems today.

Article Link: Some iOS Users Reporting Apple ID Error Messages When Updating Apps

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
I just got this as well. (US account) The younger me would have been troubleshooting all morning.

The current me just says, "I'll try it later. Someone will fix it on the other end."

Dribo

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Roskilde, Denmark
Doesn't happen for me. (DK iTunes account, iPhone 5 - iPad 3)

Edit: I'm saying this to report status where I am, if there might be a pattern what so ever.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I just got this as well. (US account) The younger me would have been troubleshooting all morning.

The current me just says, "I'll try it later. Someone will fix it on the other end."

You just encapsulated my life progress.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
First World problems. Suck it up, guys. You won't starve just yet.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Mine just hangs, forcing me to stop and restart it over and over til it starts the clock. Had one app "finish" and left the icon greyed out, unable to use... So just the usual happening. Reboot fix type stuff.

FlyersPh9

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
With the new iPhones and iOS updates on the horizon, this has me speculating...I wonder if Apple is toying with the idea of adding user profiles to iOS? That way you can have a family iPad and each user can have their own account with their custom apps, settings, etc.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Yup, happening with both the iPhones on our account. I tried signing out and back into the App Store and that didn't help.

glenmac45

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Hope your optimism is not misplaced

Got the same message on my iPad.
I have changed country in the last year, August last, and I have had nothing but problems with the Apple System since buying an iPad Air about a month ago.
It took me about 2 weeks to get my apps transferred across.
I still cannot get Books, Videos or Films transferred. There are about 18 of those in all - I was fortunate that I choose to use Amazon/Kindle for my book purchases; from them I just accessed Amazon, inserted my password and all the books were on my iPad in next to no time.
I am now starting on transferring my music. The earliest purchase is 2004 so you can imagine how much I have accumulated over 10 years.
Apple are not particularly helpful over this, generally just quoting from the rule book and the manual. To date I far from impressed with their service and competence.
And they want the Apple Reference for each purchase made. I have 35 bundles of receipts on their system (yes, I can access the receipts), with each bundle containing a dozen or so receipts, and there can be between 1 and twenty purchases on each receipt!
I am now going things about it long hand, namely cataloguing everything, finding old backups and such like. However, unlike one or two people on this blog I am not particularly sanguine about Apple "sorting it". I suspect that their system is now starting to show its age, and reflect some of the paranoia implicit in many aspects of Apple design. They are starting to remind me of Microsoft at their zenith.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
It sounds like the estimated timeline to fix the problem is by later today.

JoshDoug

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
Haven't seen this (Uk account) but have noticed and increased number of 'failure to download update' pop ups where an app update has failed for no discernible reason recently (on a reliable fast wifi connection).

jundi93

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Jordan
I am facing this issue as well :) US account , can't update or install new apps. iPhone 5 with ios 7.1.1
*UPDATE*
It seems that the issue is solved now and I was able to update all the apps .

Last edited:

Rfcf

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
The same here

I have an account created in US and I'm abroad now.
I was able to update the apps changing my region to USA again.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I remember once taking a device (non Apple, non computer) that wasn't working properly back to the store, walking out with a brand new and better one for free ten minutes later, then going on the internet and reading thread after thread by people trying to solve the problem...

When I have problems with the Internet connection, I call their help line, and if I can't get through then I know the problem is with the ISP and everyone has the same problem and they will fix it without me doing anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.