Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a new report from market research firm DisplaySearch (via CNET and ZDNet Korea), Samsung claimed the top spot as Apple's biggest iPad display panel supplier in the first quarter of 2014, shipping 5.2 million units of the high resolution 9.7-inch panels that were used in the iPad Air and the reintroduced 4th generation iPad.

ipad_air_family_20136.jpg

Samsung's panels accounted for 62% of Apple's 9.7-inch displays, while longtime partner LG Display shipped 3.2 million displays to account for 38% of the total. Apple was said to have chosen Samsung as a primary iPad display supplier last August, and reportedly turned to the Korean company in October to produce displays for the Retina iPad mini as Sharp and LG Display struggled with low yields.

Apple has been reported for quite some time to be seeking to reduce its reliance on Samsung as a component supplier due to tensions between the two companies as they have become top competitors in the mobile device market. However, Samsung's technological advantages and production capacity as a display supplier have proven valuable to Apple's needs over the years, as the two companies are likely to continue that partnership for the foreseeable future.

Article Link: Samsung Becomes Apple's Top iPad Display Supplier in Q1 2014

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
Even though they try and sue the pants off each other, neither one would be as successful as it is without the other.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Apple and Samsung has to be the most codependent / abusive professional relationship since Farnsworth and Sarnoff.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
Why does this matter so much apart from the morals?

Outsourcing a company’s business process to third parties or external agencies, only tends to give benefits, ranging from low cost labor, improved quality to product and service to the customer.

Samsung are obviously the best in the field for this component.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Maybe if Samsung no longer has any of Apple's business, they'll no longer have to resources to copy--- I mean build competitive products! Muahahahhhahhaa!!!

>_> Okay maybe not. But still, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This is bad news for consumers who don't enjoy Samsung's inferior technology in their Apple devices. I hope Apple can phase Samsung out of the supply chain entirely within the next 12 months. This has to end for the good of Apple and for consumers who want the very best products money can buy.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
This is bad news for consumers who don't enjoy Samsung's inferior technology in their Apple devices. I hope Apple can phase Samsung out of the supply chain entirely within the next 12 months. This has to end for the good of Apple and for consumers who want the very best products money can buy.

Except Samsung's displays, memory, and SSDs used in many generations of Apple products did not cause them to be inferior.

Need we be reminded how many people went on exchange sprees trying to get a Retina MacBook Pro with a Samsung display because LG's screens had problems and were inferior?

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011

I don't have a problem with Apple using Samsung parts as long as those parts have no software in them and don't run Android. Hardware is all good.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

There's no problem with the quality of most Samsung components. Also as the article states, it seems they had no problem supplying Apple, while Sharp and LG Display struggled with low yields.

It's Samsung's business MO that many Apple followers have issues with. Face the facts, this is for now, a mutually beneficial business relationship that is unlikely to end within 12 months.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
The angle that never gets covered in these stories is that there is obviously a large demand for display panels, plus a desire from Apple to diversify their supply chain. You would think a display manufacturer would invest the resources to become a bigger player and steal some of the business from Samsung.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
So, they are allies now.. No more patent war.. Image
This is a bit black and white thinking.

----------

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

;-)

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This is a bit black and white thinking.

----------

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

;-)

Nope. I don't like Samsung and if you think I'm alone in this then you obviously don't read these forums very widely. Having a negative view of Samsung, their practices and their components equalling troll would mean MacRumors has a large number of regular trolls who have posted millions of messages collectively.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
I wish Apple would spend less money on buying companies that are primarily brands rather than producers of technology (i.e. Beats), and more on technologies that reduce their dependence on companies that are trying to eat its lunch.

I know that Cook is currently preoccupied with trying to win over the world's approval with solar power plants, and that he wants no one to think that he would ever do something that would advance Apple's interests at the expense of someone else's.

But would it really kill him to get the ability to build a few displays? Aren't they the largest single maker of things that show pixels in the world, for chrisake?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.