Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may advance the functionality of the iPad by adding a new split-screen multitasking feature to the tablet in iOS 8, reports 9to5Mac. The option would allow iPad owners to use two apps simultaneously on a single screen in landscape mode, a function frequently touted by Microsoft as an advantage for its Surface tablets over the iPad.

Previous concept for split-screen multitasking (not based on specific rumors)

Besides allowing the operation of multiple apps at the same time, the feature also may allow users to share data such as links and images between apps. The integration of this sharing functionality suggests Apple may open up support for XPC services in iOS, making it easier for developers to share content between apps.
In addition to allowing for two iPad apps to be used at the same time, the feature is designed to allow for apps to more easily interact, according to the sources. For example, a user may be able to drag content, such as text, video, or images, from one app to another. Apple is said to be developing capabilities for developers to be able to design their apps to interact with each other.
The multitasking feature, which is said to work in landscape mode only, is likely to land in the 9.7-inch iPad, with its extension to the smaller iPad mini unclear at this time. It may also be a critical feature for the rumored iPad Pro, which may ship sometime in 2015 with a 12-inch display.

Article Link: iOS 8 Likely to Bring Split-Screen Multitasking to the iPad

e-dan

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Can't wait for WWDC!!!!!!! Looks like it's going to be great news for everyone!

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'm looking forward to more Desktop-esque features on the iPad, otherwise it's just going to sit in my desk drawer doing nothing.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
It's funny that so many of us have to wait so long to be able to do these kinds of things with our devices. Yeah, way to go, Windows tablets -- you can already do this. And the iPad should already do this. But it doesn't make me or millions of others want your tablet. Instead, we wait.

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Ugh. Do we really need this? It's the kind of feature where the idea seems better than the reality. The vast majority of users would never bother with it.

The iPad needs multi-user support much more desperately.

Last edited:

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I was just going to pick up a 5.5inch Iphone 6 and use it as my hybrid phone/tablet.

But if this function is exclusive to ipads, then I must pick one up, and just get the 4.7inch phone instead.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Finally! But what is my problem is with it is on the iPad mini there won't be enough space to do it as some apps are already bit too small to use on it as it goes off the 10 inch iPad apps - I tired using a 8 inch windows tablet and I just found the apps ither do letter boxing, crash or too small to even read the text!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would love this. It is the only draw to the Samsung tablets that I see in the ads with the iPads. I went and used a Samsung tablet and while I liked it, I was unsure whether or not I would regret getting one because everything else i have is iOS. Syncing my motorola phone was never awesome for me and I regretted skipping an iPhone version for that.

I hope this comes but I am not sure how the memory issue will hold up. With the constant refresh of pages in Safari, can Apple's current iPads handle split screen true multitasking?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Someone will soon talk about a lack of RAM...... :?
That someone is me!

Seriously though, this would require more RAM as two apps would have to be kept active. If Safari for iPad already struggles to keep a couple tabs opened without refreshing when you switch between them, I can't imagine what it would be like if you have, say, a game running next to it and using lots of RAM as well.

At least the way it is currently, an app in background can easily free some memory by releasing all the visual stuff that can be reconstructed when the app comes in foreground again (that's what UIViews typically do when they receive a low memory warning). With this split-screen feature, the two active apps would have to "share" memory all the time even down to the visual elements.

Last edited:

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
I didn't know Apple was going to start copying Samsung Tablets...

Well that was quick... I don't really view having two apps open on a screen at the same time a Samsung first. Apple has made a conscious decision to only have one app open at a time, it's not like 4 finger swipe is difficult really.

I suspect this "enhancement" is aimed more at the 12" iPad Pro crowd but they're able to port it over to 9.7".

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
After using a Windows 8 tablet for a little while this was the one thing I missed. I really hope it is actually in development.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.