Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Split screen only with certain apps?

It only allows you to split screen with those 4 apps showing at the top? I don't see where you can split screen with any app on the iPad.

Last edited:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Ugh. Do we really need this? I think the iPad needs multi-user support much more desperately.

It really does. I think we will see this when iPads get touch Id, then the user account is locked to the fingerprint allowing for seamless access.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
First, I’m always astounded at the effort that’s put into these concept videos, and the resulting quality. I hope if it's their ultimate goal, some of these folks get hired by Apple.

And hopefully multi user accounts.

I’m betting on iOS8 having some basic user account features, with profiles/configurations for at least some of the core apps (like rating settings in iTunes, Music, email accounts, messages). Then we’ll see an 8.x release with the API opened for 3rd party use.

With touchID [most likely] showing up on the next gen iPads, it’ll be so simple to swap accounts.

iMat77

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ticino, Switzerland
'bout time

Sure hope they will allow such a feature. But not in the clumsy way proposed. It will be interesting to see Apple's take on such a feature. I hope it's easy and intuitive.

Having multiple screens at the same time would increase my usage of the iPad a LOT and probably also allow me to avoid taking my Mac around most of the time. Now. While Apple's at it.

Give me iCloud with Aperture on the iPad.

I only hope that my iPad with 64bit processor won't be left out from that feature because Apple decides to use it as a selling point for pushing an upgrade cycle. Please allow the iPad Air to have such a feature...

Last edited:

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
And hopefully multi user accounts.
This is sorely needed at my house. Too many apps to log in and out of along with different iCloud accounts with Safari syncing, etc., so we end up not fully customizing and using it for any of us. I know I should just spend tons more money for more iPads, but I'd rather not.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I'm looking forward to more Desktop-esque features on the iPad, otherwise it's just going to sit in my desk drawer doing nothing.

There are plenty of desktop type apps available for the iPad, but the point is that it's not a desktop. If you take the time to explore, you'll find that there are a million productive/business like things to do with the device. If you can't find ways to be productive with the iPad, the fault lies with you.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Why?

Besides.. it seems like the 'blogs' are suddenly reporting Apple is doing everything we could possibly want.. yes.. dream it.. now it's a reality..

For some reason, I'm gonna have to say.. ahh. no.. not happening..

Besides.. multi-user accounts seem more practical ...

I still call BS on the Beats rumor.. :p

Only real info came from a video, that doesn't mention Apple at all.. it's just ASSUMED.. it MUST be Apple.. hahaha.. wow.. Blogs are just makin this stuff up now.. Reporting any 'anonymous' tips they get..

njsapple2012

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
I didn't know Apple was going to start copying Samsung Tablets...

Sure, Samsung got there first, but hopefully if Apple do implement it it'll be more intuitive.

I tried it out on a Samsung Pro 12.1 in my local Asda Walmart last night and it was nowhere near as fluid as it should have been.

I'm not hating on Samsung as each manufacturer has it's strengths and weaknesses I hasten to add!

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
It only allows you to split screen with those 4 apps showing at the top? I don't see where you can split screen with any app on the iPad.
"Previous concept for split-screen multitasking (not based on specific rumors)"

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
I didn't know Apple was going to start copying Samsung Tablets...

More than one app on a screen is nothing new. Windows, OS X, Linux, etc. have been doing that since forever. Windows implemented it first on their surface, then samsung, and now Apple. It's the timing of the implementation. No one is copying anyone in this case. :roll eyes:

Now, the way it'll be implemented will be interesting. As an Apple fan, I believe they'll do it better than anyone else out there right now.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yea. Don't think we would have seem this with Steve & Scott. Thank you Tim, Craig and Jony. Now make sure the next iPad has 2GB ram. :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I wonder if this will be iPad Air and newer or if earlier iPads like 4th gen can do it too.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
This would be a welcomed addition.

I did have to chuckle at the headline versus opening line:
"iOS likely ..." vs. "Apple may ..."

Last edited:

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I see that as a nightmare for developers, and a headache for users. Having played with Samsung's implementation on their GT Pro, it is a truly dreadful experience. Apart from the fact hardly any apps support it, the apps that do just don't make the experience better.

It's quite simple: have one app running at a time and do it really, really well - over having two side by side and do a poor job of both.

Microsoft did it well with their Snap function, and I think it's mandatory(?) - I could see something similar working on the iPad, but definitely not a 50/50 split, and for the love of God, FORGET the draggable split.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
It really does. I think we will see this when iPads get touch Id, then the user account is locked to the fingerprint allowing for seamless access.

I sure hope so. It's not something that's important on an iPhone, which for most people is a truly personal device.

But iPads, at least in my house, tend to sit around on coffee tables or the kitchen and be shared.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So long as support is adopted across more than just the core apps, sure why not?

Never really saw the need or draw in Samsung tablets and Windows tablets being able to do this. Hell, I hate doing it on a desktop.

Give me more RAM, a better battery and the OS X like fullscreen swiping between running apps and I'd take that over this "multitasking".

But hey, I've been wanting some iPad specific features for a little while (over and above what iPad optimized apps provide). Looking forward to WWDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.