Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
I've had my 11" ultimate for about 3 weeks. Its mostly used by the wife around the house so I never really noticed before that the battery never charges to 100%.

I'll leave it plugged in overnight. Open it up and it tells me it charged, however as soon as I unplug the cord it reads 99%.

Does anyone ever see 100%? I know it really has no bearing on battery life, which is great on this machine, but all my previous laptops have said 100% when fully charged?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
CHARGING

It is also normal that your battery may not charge to 100%. The battery may appear to stop charging between 93 percent and 99 percent, because the batteries are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. When it reaches a full charge, the light on your MagSafe adapter will turn green. This indicates that it has stopped charging your battery and you are now running on A/C power with a fully charged battery. It will not overcharge your battery. It's also perfectly safe to let your Mac notebook sleep with A/C plugged in.
If you have problems with charging, this might help:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9875442/

crazyyankeefan

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Albany, NY
Also one small note, there's really no point to get obsessed with this "100% charge". In fact, for a Li-ion type of battery, the battery will last the longest if it's always used within 30-70% range. When it stays completely drained or maximum charged over a period of time, it's when the battery gets damaged the most.

aydensuzzivan

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
I've had my 11" ultimate for about 3 weeks. Its mostly used by the wife around the house so I never really noticed before that the battery never charges to 100%.

I'll leave it plugged in overnight. Open it up and it tells me it charged, however as soon as I unplug the cord it reads 99%.

Does anyone ever see 100%? I know it really has no bearing on battery life, which is great on this machine, but all my previous laptops have said 100% when fully charged?

Same issue with my brand new iPhone 5S.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
You can check your batteries state under:
:apple: --> about this mac --> system report --> power

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I'm aware of that. It was not the focus of this discussion or my post.
Your question was about your batteries status. What percentage it shows is irrelevant.

If you know where to look at your battery status then I have no idea what this thread is about.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you leave it plugged in all the time, it will show 100% (because it stopped charging), but the battery is slowly discharging over time. I think it has to drop to 96% before it goes back into charging mode. If it kept trying to charge it every time it was less than 100%, the battery would be shot very quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.