Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen today announced plans to return Flappy Bird to the App Store in August in a new interview with CNBC's Kelly Evans. According to Nguyen, the new version of Flappy Bird will be a multiplayer title that is "less addictive."

Back in February, Nguyen unexpectedly pulled Flappy Bird from the App Store after it became wildly popular, due in part to the attention he was receiving. "Please give me peace," he tweeted just a week before removing the app from the App Store. At the height of its popularity, the game was generating approximately $50,000 per day in revenue from in-app ads, causing a media frenzy.

flappy-bird.jpg
In a March interview with Rolling Stone, Nguyen confessed that the reason he pulled the app was in part due to the overwhelming amount of attention he garnered from the media, but also because of troubling messages he received from Flappy Bird players about the game's addictiveness. One woman told him he was "distracting the children of the world."

Nguyen noted that he had trouble in school in his own youth because of an addiction to video games, and admitted to feeling guilty that Flappy Bird was an "addictive product."

After Flappy Bird was removed from the App Store, hundreds of other Flappy-style apps flooded the App Store as developers attempted to clone some of Nguyen's success, and at one point towards the end of February, one-third of new games released over a 24-hour period were heavily influenced by Flappy Bird.

Though the prominence of Flappy Bird clones has died down in recent weeks, fans will likely welcome the return of the original game. As Nguyen has said, "People can clone the app because of its simplicity, but they will never make another Flappy Bird." While Nyugen has mentioned multiplayer as one new aspect of the game, it is unclear how he plans to make it "less addictive."

During today's interview, Nguyen also relayed some details about his next game, which is said to be a jumping game where players control a character that leaps from building to building.

Article Link: Flappy Bird to Return to the App Store in August, Will Be Multiplayer and 'Less Addictive'

Casstiel

macrumors member
May 14, 2014
"Addictive"? This game is a mystery to me. I hated it after playing it for 30 seconds. I guess many people like the cruelty of it. What does that say about us?

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I don't really care that much, but multiplayer could be interesting.
I am curious what the developer plans to do, to make the game "less addictive"

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Though the prominence of Flappy Bird clones has died down in recent weeks, fans will likely welcome the return of the original game. As Nguyen has said, "People can clone the app because of its simplicity, but they will never make another Flappy Bird." While Nyugen has mentioned multiplayer as one new aspect of the game, it is unclear how he plans to make it "less addictive."

Publicity stunt.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I don't really care that much, but multiplayer could be interesting.
I am curious what the developer plans to do, to make the game "less addictive"

I'm guessing timers and iap's. Not sure how they'll do it but that always kills the addiction for me with ios games.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I bet the $50k a day was addictive :D

At this point I prefer Flappy Bird articles to mockups. But barely. Macrumors could troll us hard with a Flappy Bird mockup though.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
So the only way to make it less addictive is to put a timer on it I guess. After 20 minutes of play, you can't play for 20 minutes. Something like that.

I have a great idea for a mobile game, but have no clue how to program. Sucks.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I bet the $50k a day was addictive :D

At this point I prefer Flappy Bird articles to mockups. But barely. Macrumors could troll us hard with a Flappy Bird mockup though.

Next MacRumors article:

"Flappy Bird Fan Creates Mockup of New Version of Flappy Bird"

flappy bird mockup.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.