Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following reports last week that Apple had purchased Beats Electronics, it was thought the deal would be finalized and announced this week. However, Re/code is reporting the deal may not be finalized until next week.
beatsdre.jpg
Apple's planned deal to buy Beats Electronics for $3.2 billion may not be finalized until next week, according to people familiar with the transaction. That's a longer timetable than some people expected as recently as a few days ago.
Once the deal is completed, Beats co-founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine are expected to take on senior roles at Apple, with Iovine potentially becoming Apple's new music chief. In addition, Iovine and Dre's first official appearance as Apple employees is expected to take place at June's Worldwide Developer Conference.

Article Link: Apple's Purchase of Beats May Not Be Finalized Until Next Week

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Beats probably shouldn't have blabbed all about it if they wanted to get it done.

And Steve Jobs/Katie Cotton would never have allowed any leaks of this. Had any leaks occurred, the deal would be off.

MUWarrior10

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
Chicago
Still waiting to see why Apple is making this acquisition. I have not been impressed with Beats products to date. I wonder if there is something they have in their pipeline...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Still waiting to see why Apple is making this acquisition. I have not been impressed with Beats products to date. I wonder if there is something they have in their pipeline...

Of course there is. I don't think they would have spent 3.2 Billion for nothing. Lol.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Beats phone

It's not something I have seen suggested so far but I have been wondering whether part of the reason for purchasing beats is to use the brand for launching a slightly lower end phone that appeals to a different part of the market. A Beats phone would run ios, and wouldn't be branded apple in any way other than the software. It would allow for a lower end, lower quality product without potentially damaging apples brand. It would be as close as possible to licensing ios without losing control.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
If it weren't for dre we wouldn't have ice cube.

Or Slim Shady.

Back to reality...
The major reason for this purchase seems to be the music catalog available to Beats. Can't the major players just revoke access since the terms of their contract/owner is changing?

----------

It's not something I have seen suggested so far but I have been wondering whether part of the reason for purchasing beats is to use the brand for launching a slightly lower end phone that appeals to a different part of the market. A Beats phone would run ios, and wouldn't be branded apple in any way other than the software. It would allow for a lower end, lower quality product without potentially damaging apples brand. It would be as close as possible to licensing ios without losing control.

This would mess with HTC's already released Android phones and potentially any laptops released with the Beats brand. We saw how a fully branded Apple 5C went over with the public. The public said they didn't want a cheap Apple phone, they wanted the full experience.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Makes sense. They've got to put everything they have into getting Flappy Bird back in the App Store. Beats will have to wait.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
The major reason for this purchase seems to be the music catalog available to Beats. Can't the major players just revoke access since the terms of their contract/owner is changing?

No one knows for sure, but probably. Which makes one think if there isn't more to this deal.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I assume this leak transaction is someone from beats ? Surely Apple wouldn't like this deal to be publicize

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Beats probably shouldn't have blabbed all about it if they wanted to get it done.

And Steve Jobs/Katie Cotton would never have allowed any leaks of this. Had any leaks occurred, the deal would be off.

Because nothing ever got leaked when Jobs was in charge (well, except the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Intel switchover, new iphone specs,...)

----------

Unfortunately he cant count. He probably should of checked his math before he embarassed himself in that video.

I can't remember who reported it, but Dre's total net worth post-sale to Apple would be just over $1.1B based on existing holdings and his stake in Beats.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
This would mess with HTC's already released Android phones and potentially any laptops released with the Beats brand. We saw how a fully branded Apple 5C went over with the public. The public said they didn't want a cheap Apple phone, they wanted the full experience.

HTC doesn't have anything to do with Beats anymore.

Also, I thought the OP had an interesting idea. A "Beats" Phone running iOS at a lower price point would be an interesting addition to that market. And the public would LOVE a cheap iPhone. The 5c was not a cheap iPhone. It was an expensive iPhone in a plastic shell. If Apple sold something at the Nexus 5 or Moto X price point, it would sell like crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.