Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
Is there a leaked mockup of what the possible new Beats by Dre logo will now look like?

Just trying to have some fun..It's been a long day

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas
What a waste!!

This is a colossal waste of cash. Headphones that cost $5 to make being sold for hundreds. Sorry but this company has no real value to it.

No audiophile thinks Beats "headphones" are worth the high price. A $30 pair of Sony's are better. All hype with cute packaging.

As an Apple shareholder you are just watching Cook burn money.

Huffpo:
So, yes, Beats are popular. But are they good?

The consensus is a big, fat "no." Beats can cost upward of $379, and a chorus of music geeks argue they're not worth the price.

''In terms of sound performance, they are among the worst you can buy,'' Tyll Hertsens, editor-in-chief of the audiophile site InnerFidelity.com told the New York Times in 2011. He called them "extraordinarily bad."

"In almost almost every category there are lower-priced models that offer the same, and sometimes better, sound quality," Consumer Reports wrote in a piece titled "Are Beats by Dr. Dre headphones worth the money?"

This isn't just a few critics' opinions. In April, Time magazine scored the sound quality of 18 different headphones brands by comparing specs and aggregating expert reviews from CNET, Wired, TechCrunch and others. Beats headphones ranked a measly 17th out of 18.

Beats are popular because they're cool, not because they're high quality. People buy Beats for the brand recognition, because they come in lots of sleek colors and because they're associated with music producer and rapper Dr. Dre.

Last edited:

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
This buyout will keep haunting me until Apple finally mentions or releases a product that has do with Beats. I still don't see the relevance of this once niche headphone maker. Perplexed, but interested to see what goes down at WWDC this year pertaining to Beats (if it is mentioned at all).

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
It's like buying Kodak. It's basically a well-known brand with uninteresting products.

Maybe we'll see stuff like a Beats camera, running iOS and made with cheap plastic.

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
This is a colossal waste of cash. Headphones that cost $5 to make being sold for hundreds. Sorry but this company has no real value to it.
No audiophile thinks Beats "headphones" are worth the high price. A $30 pair of Sony's are better. All hype with cute packaging.
Assuming you're right, knowing how to sell cheap, crappy products for large amounts is an incredible skill, and it's worth a lot. I too believe their products are extremely overpriced, just like B&O's and Bose's. Nobody would claim that these companies have no value. The value may be in the brand and marketing alone, not technology, but so what? The same can be said about B&O or Bose; they have mediocre products that sell for 10 times what similar products cost. Are these companies worthless?

As an Apple shareholder, I'm watching people commenting over a rumor. If Cook indeed decides to purchase Beats, I will expect a justification for it, and I'm quite sure I'll see one.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
Beats probably shouldn't have blabbed all about it if they wanted to get it done.

And Steve Jobs/Katie Cotton would never have allowed any leaks of this. Had any leaks occurred, the deal would be off.

Lol you are just making up dumb stuff and posting it on the interweb.

----------

Still waiting to see why Apple is making this acquisition. I have not been impressed with Beats products to date. I wonder if there is something they have in their pipeline...

It has been beaten to death why they would make this deal. It is a pretty no brain deal for apple with a lot of upside and little risk. It is certainly better than buying nest or whatsapp or Motorola. From a risk standpoint it is a better investment than occulus.

Perhaps you have chosen to ignore all the previous discussions on the issue. On the business that BEATS runs right now, as is, 3.2 billion is a good deal. There doesn't need to be something in the pipeline to justify it. It is justified by the most basic business facts, which is not close to any of the acquisitions I mentioned above.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013

Huffpo:

Yes huffpo is where people go to get business news.

It is pretty hard to find solid investments that will give a 10% roi for billions of dollars. When you have a massive amount of cash you thank your lucky stars if you can invest in a successful money making business with that kind of return. Risk free investment with potential large upside? This is all good news for apple stockholders.

Anyone who thinks this is burning money for shareholders probably should not be invested in the stock market as it is unlikely they can afford to do so.

This real is a no brainer deal for apple, yet I continue to be amused by the people who apparently don't even meet that requisite talking about what a bad deal it is without any factual basis.

Let us put it in the simplest terms. Say you got 150k to invest (come on guys stop laughing it could happen). Now you have an opportunity to spend 3k on a business that will earn you between $200-$400 a year. I don't know if you have checked the interest rates at banks lately but you are going to get only a tenth of that. In fact a one year cd is less than a quarter of one percent or 1/40th the return you would get by investing your 3k into this mini beats.

See how it is a no brainer? Leave out the fact apple has sold hundreds of millions of headphone jacks or that the foundation for a streaming music service is there. It is a no brainer as a financial investment even if they were selling Tupperware.

Now you are going to wring your hands about this 3k investment when you have to find a way to earn money with the other 147k? The reality is the opportunity to buy successful businesses at a reasonable price is virtually non existent. It is not like there are billion dollar companies with great net earnings that want to be purchased for modest multiples just laying around out there.

viktormadarasz

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Madrid,Spain
Still waiting to see why Apple is making this acquisition. I have not been impressed with Beats products to date. I wonder if there is something they have in their pipeline...

I agree with You. I tried Beats one , I was not impressed at all...Seems like an overpriced piece of plastics sold with a ,,Big Name".

I could have been more delighted Apple teaming up with other brands if not even making a move as an acquisition, brands which proved way more in design, quality and performance than Beats themselves. I think of brands like Bang&Olufsen , Bowers&Wilkins ...but Im sure the list could go on and there are brands 10x the quality and design than those Beats plastics.

Im not a hater, though Hip Hop or Dre is not my style, but again its the product itself which does not meet my expectations.

Viktor

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
This buyout will keep haunting me until Apple finally mentions or releases a product that has do with Beats. I still don't see the relevance of this once niche headphone maker. Perplexed, but interested to see what goes down at WWDC this year pertaining to Beats (if it is mentioned at all).

They own 70% of the high end market and over 35% of the total market. They are not a niche headphone maker. They are the dominant headphone maker. And just to reiterate for the thousandth time, apple sells tons of devices with headphone jacks.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
It has been beaten to death why they would make this deal. It is a pretty no brain deal for apple with a lot of upside and little risk. It is certainly better than buying nest or whatsapp or Motorola. From a risk standpoint it is a better investment than occulus.

Perhaps you have chosen to ignore all the previous discussions on the issue. On the business that BEATS runs right now, as is, 3.2 billion is a good deal. There doesn't need to be something in the pipeline to justify it. It is justified by the most basic business facts, which is not close to any of the acquisitions I mentioned above.

"beaten" ha ha.

Yes, a lot of people have been saying there'd have to be "no brain" involved to buy Beats for the presumed price. It's not that there's no value there, even if the value is mostly in the marketing, it's just hard to see how it's worth that much. And saying it's better than two other bad deals is not what it should be judged by.

----------

Yes huffpo is where people go to get business news.

It is pretty hard to find solid investments that will give a 10% roi for billions of dollars. When you have a massive amount of cash you thank your lucky stars if you can invest in a successful money making business with that kind of return. Risk free investment with potential large upside? This is all good news for apple stockholders.

Anyone who thinks this is burning money for shareholders probably should not be invested in the stock market as it is unlikely they can afford to do so.

This real is a no brainer deal for apple, yet I continue to be amused by the people who apparently don't even meet that requisite talking about what a bad deal it is without any factual basis.

Let us put it in the simplest terms. Say you got 150k to invest (come on guys stop laughing it could happen). Now you have an opportunity to spend 3k on a business that will earn you between $200-$400 a year. I don't know if you have checked the interest rates at banks lately but you are going to get only a tenth of that. In fact a one year cd is less than a quarter of one percent or 1/40th the return you would get by investing your 3k into this mini beats.

See how it is a no brainer? Leave out the fact apple has sold hundreds of millions of headphone jacks or that the foundation for a streaming music service is there. It is a no brainer as a financial investment even if they were selling Tupperware.

Now you are going to wring your hands about this 3k investment when you have to find a way to earn money with the other 147k? The reality is the opportunity to buy successful businesses at a reasonable price is virtually non existent. It is not like there are billion dollar companies with great net earnings that want to be purchased for modest multiples just laying around out there.

Ok, in your simplest terms, let's say you could develop the equivalent of the $3k business on your own for $300. Why would you spend $3k instead of $300? Only reasons are you need it now, and can't wait to develop your own. But hard to see how that applies here. Apple has no need to hurry up and make crappy overpriced headphones (they already sell them, so making them would be the only change), and since this deal can only be about the streaming business, why do they need to hurry up and get 111,000 subscribers when they'd have that many in an hour after releasing thier own service? Apple can find people to curate playlists just as well as Beats can.

As others have said, they must be thinking something if they do this, and they'll have to say what that is, but unless it's some surprise no one has mentioned yet (or the price is much less), I'm sticking with overpriced.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
Any delay is good news

As long as it's not completed there's always a chance it won't happen, so any delay is good news. There could be lots of deal-breakers with this; hopefully one of them is unresolvable.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
I miss the days when Apple had the word "Computer" as part of their company name (and their mission). Apple seems to have lost their way, seeking the almighty quick buck instead of the tried-but-true and seemingly faithful customer base.

Fortunately, they can't rename themselves Apple Music, since someone already beat them to it. (Hurray for hindsight!)

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
This would mess with HTC's already released Android phones and potentially any laptops released with the Beats brand. We saw how a fully branded Apple 5C went over with the public. The public said they didn't want a cheap Apple phone, they wanted the full experience.

Really don't think that's what happened; I think it was circumstantial.
I genuinely feel that the 5C did not sell as well for the same reason that the 4 didn't sell as well after the 4S was released : The 5C was the iPhone 5. People didn't buy the 5S over the 5C because of the 5C's plastic shell, they bought the 5S because it was the next and newest generation of iPhone, opposed to the 5C which was last generation's iPhone in a new outfit.

Rather than saying people didn't buy the 5C because it has a plastic shell, it seems more logical to say that people didn't go out and
1.) Increase sales of the iPhone 5 just because it now comes in colors, and
2.) Choose the iPhone 5 over the new 5S model because the iPhone 5 now comes in colors.

If the 5C was the 5S in a plastic shell, I bet you that majority of sales would be on the 5C side; I don't think people care that much about the plasticity, more so than they just prefer better specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.