Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
Just curious...

Are there people out there using "classic" iPods on a daily/normal basis?

I recently fixed up an old iPod Photo which I had picked up as a project. When I was looking for parts or another broken one on eBay, I was surprised to see people actively bidding on parts ones. I assume this means that there must be an active community repairing/using them, correct? I mean, they can't all be going to just collectors.

I confess, though, that it's been a while since I've seen someone using one of the older iPods, even a Classic. So, I'm wondering who are the people still using them?

Thanks... JR

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I use a 5th gen every time I get in my car, which is several times a day. If it ever dies, I have a 5.5 in reserve. You may not see us but we're out here.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Just curious...

Are there people out there using "classic" iPods on a daily/normal basis?

I recently fixed up an old iPod Photo which I had picked up as a project. When I was looking for parts or another broken one on eBay, I was surprised to see people actively bidding on parts ones. I assume this means that there must be an active community repairing/using them, correct? I mean, they can't all be going to just collectors.

I confess, though, that it's been a while since I've seen someone using one of the older iPods, even a Classic. So, I'm wondering who are the people still using them?

Thanks... JR

I have a 60GB iPod Photo that stays in my car. Has for years. Car does not charge the newer devices and I like the storage on the 60GB.

cheron33

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Every single day!

I have several iPod classics that are used daily. My 7th Gen 160 is used at work for music during the day, while my 6th Gen 160Gb houses audio books that I use in the car while commuting to work.

I want Apple to expand the classic - a much larger drive would allow me to have my entire music library with me

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Have a 6th gen I swapped the HD out of for an SSD. Use it in my car.

Still prefer having it with me on trips versus listening to music through my phone.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
I have 3 120gb classics, 2 are in cars, 1 is a NIB backup.

Both of the ones in cars are in Belkin leather cases.

2 are black 1 is white/silver, or it may be the reverse.

Point is the color sure doesn't matter to me .:D

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Who is using "classic" iPods?

How's the performance with the SSD? Does it change tracks faster? What about boot time?

Not really any difference - battery life seems better. But that may be because I've gotten used to iOS devices that don't last as long.

I did it mainly for the longevity and the added storage. Went from 80 GB to 120 GB roughly.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I use my 160GB classic for up to 9 hours a day when I'm at work and have got a 60GB iPod photo in my car.

The classic is coming up to 7 years old this autumn and I've had the photo for 9 years and they are both still going strong though I did have to replace the photo's battery a few months ago.

If either of them packed in I would replace it with another classic. :)

Erik Chandra

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
I use my 160gb ipod classic at home everyday!
I play it on my hi-fi..i have 4 speakers in my house..bathroom,bedroom,kitchen, and guest room..the ipod rocks everyday in my home!..hahaha..but i've been waiting apple to update the ipod touch to 160gb at least..so i could play my music around my home via bluetooth..isn't it cool!!!?.can't wait til september anymore..:)

Freshmen

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Los Angeles
like others i use a classic in the car, my car has bluetooth streaming but the quality isn't as good and i can't keep my entire library on my phone and I'm not a fan of streaming music

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I use a 7thG iPod Classic as the front end of a high end portable system (iPod > Cypher labs Algorhythm dB > ALO Rx3B+ > Audeze LCD-X). Lately I've been using it less because I'm finding my iPhone 5S and MacBook Air to sound a lot better than the iPod even though I'm essentially using it as a transport only. I still carry it around as many hotels have iPod docks which only have the original 30 pin connection.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I have a bunch of older ones that I still use. I favor the 2nd gen nanos for being practically indestructible and very portable. I swap out their content periodically, keep them in a dish on top the microwave, grab one and go, it's fun discovering exactly what's on there while I'm driving to the store...

Also I still use a couple of Classics. One is for operas and other traditional genres, and the other for everything else. Generally I use them in a speakerdock in my studio. Sometimes I'll take one when I'm traveling without a laptop, otherwise my local music is kind of limited since I don't keep a lot of it on my smart devices.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Had a 1st gen and 3rd gen. Currently own a 6th gen. Loved them all. All of my music on the go (offline) is still invaluable to me.

I kinda wish I'd never sold my 1st or 3rd gens.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I use my iPod classics almost every day, especially when I am travelling, (car, bus, train, plane) or sometimes, simply for listening to music. And yes, I like the idea of having my entire music library on one device.

Two of my classics (an 80GB and a 160 GB) are used for music most days; one is five and half years old, the other, a few years younger. Yet another is still in its wrapping should there be an untimely demise when it will be called upon to replace a deceased sibling…...

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
One thing that is clear is that the reason you don't see a lot of these in the wild is that many have gone on to embedded/dedicated applications (e.g., car use).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.