Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bentley's newest ad, Intelligent Details, was filmed entirely with Apple's mobile devices. Photographers used the iPhone 5s to shoot video and then put it together using an iPad Air, according to details provided on the making of the ad at the end of the spot (via The Loop).

Shot in New York, a quick behind the scenes look at the black and white film on the $300,000 Bentley Mulsanne reveals that it was filmed with an iPhone 5s, using specialized lenses, mounts, and cases to produce high-quality video on par with far more expensive camera equipment.

The short video was then assembled using an iPad Air and the iMovie app with an attached custom keyboard case. Much of the editing was done on the go in the back of a Bentley, showing the mobile capabilities of Apple's devices.

Bentley's ad is the newest spot to be filmed using Apple tools, but it's far from the first. Back in 2013, Burberry announced a partnership with Apple that saw it shooting an entire Spring/Summer 2014 runway show using nothing but the iPhone 5s ahead of the phone's launch.

Searching for Sugar Man, a documentary that won an Academy Award back in February of 2013, was also partially shot using an iPhone.

Article Link: Bentley Ad Shot Using iPhone 5s, Assembled on iPad Air

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Amazing work.

Really shows off the video quality of the iPhone, and the content creation possibilities of the iPad.

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
Why do people us such devices instead of professional equipment for this type of stuff? A challenge? Apple pays them?

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Why do people us such devices instead of professional equipment for this type of stuff? A challenge? Apple pays them?

I assumed it was to say they did, it spreads the video around (like on here). Otherwise, there is nothing special about the film.

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA

They're just trying to highlight their partnership with Apple and it's products. Bentley believes they're on the same level as Apple as far as technological advancement goes so why not show off how powerful Apple products are by integrating them into the car and shooting an ad with them. :)

hydr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
I assumed it was to say they did, it spreads the video around (like on here). Otherwise, there is nothing special about the film.

This will really push Bentleys sales upwards. MacRumors teens buying Bentleys by the flock.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
This is great

Personally, I have challenge getting videos from iPhone onto my iPad Air for use in iMovie. Photo stream does not support videos (hoping Apple adds it). I have been using Dropbox app to transfer between the two

Anyone have any better ideas?

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I shot and edited a small video on my phone of me and some friends on a trip in Nicaragua and people saw it thought I was lying that it was footage from my phone. I think that says a lot.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010

This will put the Bentley brand in front of millions of people who otherwise wouldn't have ever cared enough to click or even seen the link to begin with.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
It would be interesting to see which adapters they used to get certain effects, i.e. out of focus.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This will really push Bentleys sales upwards. MacRumors teens buying Bentleys by the flock.

How right you are. I've just ordered four. If it wasn't for this advert being made on an iPhone, I wouldn't have considered a Bentley before.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006

Because a $500 iPhone costs less than a $50,000 professional camera. Of course those custom mounts and lenses cost way more than the iPhone itself, but thats the awe of it. Slap on the lenses and it takes the place of a camera that costs 100x more.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The only thing is that you'd probably overall pay a lot more/or the same for the iPhone and iPad than using the proper equipment. And I say that because these iPhones are not just your base 16GB, they're 64GB. You cannot do a full shoot on a 16GB iPhone period.

The iPad is most likely the 128GB model aswell for the same reasons. When you import video into iMovie, it becomes part of the app until you delete it. Same thing happens to any other app you import video into.

I think it's cool that there's a lot of film being shot and edited on iOS devices though.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Amazing work.

Really shows off the video quality of the iPhone, and the content creation possibilities of the iPad.

Seriously?

If anything it shows how limited the iPhone is in terms of image quality. The footage is so compressed. Putting the video in black and white helps, but there's such a lack of sharpness and latitude in the picture.

Even mounting lenses couldn't cover that up.

And it's really not that difficult to edit something like this on an iPad. It's pretty straight forward, no fancy cutting, and they're dealing with very small HD video files (highly compressed) from the iPhone.

I'd be far more impressed if they edited RED or Alexa footage on the iPad Air. THAT would show the true capabilities of the tablet as a workstation replacement.

They did this as easily as possible, and with the black and white, tried to cover up the low-qual as much as possible.

K-Rob

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
It would be interesting to see which adapters they used to get certain effects, i.e. out of focus.

I'd love to see the adapters and lenses as well. The out or focus thing is simple though. Just lock focus on something close by long-pressing on the screen then film something far away, or vice-versa

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Seriously?

If anything it shows how limited the iPhone is in terms of image quality. The footage is so compressed. Putting the video in black and white helps, but there's such a lack of sharpness and latitude in the picture.

Even mounting lenses couldn't cover that up.

And it's really not that difficult to edit something like this on an iPad. It's pretty straight forward, no fancy cutting, and they're dealing with very small HD video files (highly compressed) from the iPhone.

I'd be far more impressed if they edited RED or Alexa footage on the iPad Air. THAT would show the true capabilities of the tablet as a workstation replacement.

They did this as easily as possible, and with the black and white, tried to cover up the low-qual as much as possible.

Who sucked the jam out of your donut? Its as much an advert for Apple as Bentley so why use RED cameras or footage. Armchair critics are ten a penny and as common as trolls.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
it was filmed with an iPhone 5s, using specialized lenses, mounts, and cases to produce high-quality video on par with far more expensive camera equipment.
I believe this part of the post should be highlighted.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Shot on a 5s

Stabilized on $50K worth of camera rigging.

But yah...down the road, these professional cameras will be dying out except for the most high end of things.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
It does support video. Just create a new photostream sending to yourself.

Right (I was thinking of the My Photo Stream default). However, I can't find a way once it is in a PhotoStream to download it to another device. For example, there is no "send to Camera Roll". I can't e-mail these large files to myself

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
For our youths its only pocket money: We are so rich that even buying a cheap car is a problem for our budget - let alone the insurance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.