Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be allowing developers to create promo codes for in-app purchases, a useful feature that makes it far easier to test and promote freemium games and apps with content that can only be purchased within an app once it has been downloaded.

Promo codes for apps have long been available, but were previously limited to initial app downloads and were not available for in-app purchases. This change will make it easier for developers to give early app testers, reviewers, and other users access to the full content available within freemium apps.

While it is unclear if the feature is currently available to all developers, Jeff Scott of 148apps.com shared a screenshot on Twitter of an in-app purchase promo code for Real Racing 3, from major developer EA. EA is using the promotion to give customers 10 free gold within the app, which has an in-app value of $1.99. The gold can be obtained by visiting this link on an iOS device.

realracing.jpg
Entering the promo code provides users with gold in the app, and if the app is not installed, it will automatically download before redeeming the in-app purchase code.

realracing32.jpg
Apple has not yet updated its developer site to reflect the availability of in-app promo codes and its rules still state "Promo codes don't work for In-App purchase products, including Newsstand issues."

Article Link: Developers Now Able to Provide Promo Codes for In-App Purchases

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Sometimes I just wish I could still purchase a full game and be done with it instead of being nickled and dimed for every little upgrade option. I am perfectly capable of slowly beating a game by winning and progressing through levels without having to pay.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Sometimes I just wish I could still purchase a full game and be done with it instead of being nickled and dimed for every little upgrade option. I am perfectly capable of slowly beating a game by winning and progressing through levels without having to pay.

Fortunately, there are developers who still go this route. One recent example is Wayward Souls. The problem is that games that cost $5 out the door aren't at the top of the sales lists for very long except if they have super brand recognition (like Minecraft), so discovery is a huge problem.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

That's what I'm doing with Real Racing 3. I have never spent a nickel on this app, and am progressing.

bmxracer

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
I am surprised it took them this long to come up with this, hopefully app developers will take full advantage of this.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This shouldn't have taken 5 years.

You're right -- but it is what it is. It's here now, so I guess we could either complain it still hadn't been added, or complain it took so long. Either way, it's happened, so it's a good thing. :)

Obake

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2006
Vpp

Hope this means now we can purchase IAP through the Volume Purchase Program.

One example I can think of is Garage Band. It's a free download but to unlock all the features you have to purchase an IAP. This is a pain for schools to do.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Sweet! So how long until will you be able to gift a single song to another person while using the iTunes Store on iOS?? Still can't do that in 2014.

minisuds7

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
The U.P. of Michigan
What I would love to see in the App Store is the ability for developers to let possible customers of paid apps to try them before they buy. Other app stores do this and I think it's genius... There's been plenty of times where I come across a more expensive app that I ended up not getting because I was afraid the app wouldn't fulfill my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.