Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ituneslogo.jpg
Apple today released iTunes 11.2 with several improvements to Podcast browsing, giving users a way to find new episodes with an "Unplayed" tab and the ability to save favorite episodes to a computer. Episodes can also now be deleted after they're played, and episodes that are available to download or stream can be found in the "Feed" tab.

There's a fix for an issue that caused iTunes to become unresponsive when updating Genius, and the update also includes improvements for overall performance and stability. Apple also recommends users download Podcasts for iOS 2.1 or later to sync podcast episodes, an update that was just released on the App Store.
This update includes the following improvements:

Improved Podcast Browsing
-Quickly find episodes you haven't listened to in the new Unplayed tab
-Browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the Feed tab
-Save your favorite episodes to keep them on your computer
-Episodes can now be automatically deleted after you play them

This update also resolves an issue where iTunes may become unresponsive when updating Genius and improves overall performance and stability. Podcasts for iOS 2.1 or later is recommended when syncing podcast episodes.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
iTunes 11.2 can be downloaded from the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: iTunes 11.2 Released With Podcast Improvements, Bug Fixes

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
iTunes and the iTunes Store ought to be separate applications. Stop trying to do everything in one app. Browsing my music should be simple.

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
The latest version of Podcasts for iOS seems to be 2.0.2...

Has it been updated?

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today released iTunes 11.2 with several improvements to Podcast browsing, giving users a way to find new episodes with an "Unplayed" tab and the ability to save favorite episodes to a computer. Episodes can also now be deleted after they're played, and episodes that are available to download or stream can be found in the "Feed" tab.

There's a fix for an issue that caused iTunes to become unresponsive when updating Genius, and the update also includes improvements for overall performance and stability. Apple also recommends users download Podcasts for iOS 2.1 or later to sync podcast episodes.iTunes 11.2 can be downloaded from the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: iTunes 11.2 Released With Podcast Improvements, Bug Fixes

Still no CoverFlow...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
iTunes Match needs attention to as well.. Plenty of times it takes a forever to upload music.

dalbng

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Nothing on Apple Software Update on Windows. Does it usually take a while before it appears, or is this a Mac-only update?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
iTunes and the iTunes Store ought to be separate applications. Stop trying to do everything in one app. Browsing my music should be simple.

I disagree, I like having one application for all my media needs. If anything, iTunes should get more functionality, like browsing my movies I have in my iMovie/Final Cut applications, having my Garageband tracks available in there, etc... AUTOMATICALLY.

I'd also welcome a new video segment(s).
TV Shows and Movies are fine, the fact they added the home movie tab was nice, but I'd love to have a segment for stuff I downloaded from Youtube or just other places where I get video from. Stuff that doesn't fit those categories.

I refuse to scatter my Movies section with hundreds of videos that aren't feature films or such.

Glassed Silver:mac

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Hopefully this fixes the crashes I've had with 11.1.5, usually related to playing internet radio streams. Actually, for being an 11.x release I would've expected better features than just podcast improvements.

I would love to lead the iTunes team and be given free reign to split it up into two apps, Store and Music. And add tagging a la Mavericks, and the ability to filter using multiple criteria to create ad hoc playlists. There's so much that could be done with this app, and the iTunes 11 redesign didn't really bring much to the table; it just moved the chairs around.

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
iTunes Match needs serious attention. Every time that I upload a song into iTunes, iTunes match begins it's process but hangs. At that point, I have to sign out of my account, quit iTunes, restart iTunes, sign back in to my iTunes account, and then sign in to iTunes Match. Only then will my new content be matched. Apple support has no solution for this problem at this time.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Indeed. Unfortunately I just added a song and iTunes Match still takes forever / hangs at step 1.

:mad: Was about to ask whether iTunes Match had been fixed. Oh well, at least I finally managed to get it to match newly added songs again by cancelling the automatic update process and then manually selecting "Update iTunes Match" from the menu bar.

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
iTunes Match needs attention to as well.. Plenty of times it takes a forever to upload music.
Every time you want to upload something new.. shut off iTunes Match and then turn it back on.. while annoying to have to do, I have noticed this uploads them very quickly.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

Oh hell yes. iTunes should be the jukebox and perhaps the music store, iDevice sync and functionality needs to be spun out.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
After this update, I had one of my subscribed video podcast automatically starting to download old episodes. So a setting changed. Had to restart iTunes after changing back to "Download Episodes" to OFF, for it to stop.

And where is the "Update All Podcasts" button or menu item? It's now gone from the lower right, and right-clicking on the "Podcasts" item in the side bar only shows "Export".

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it

Absolutely agree. And also, if I sign out of Match and then sign back in (in order to get it to function), I get a message box saying my computer is unauthorized. Every. Single. Time. Authorizing my computer has no effect. I'm still baffled as to why Apple has such a difficult time with cloud services.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Podcasts still aren't working for me. I want to change my defaults but as soon as I quit iTunes, the defaults are reset. Some podcasts aren't showing the artwork, even though it downloads the images on the podcasts file. And this used to cause iTunes to lag pretty bad. The lag is still there, but it is now not as bad.

Still feels like a few steps back IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.