Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
If I remember correctly Colombia was not equipped with a hatch to the ISS so how could they dock another shuttle? I don't think they had a way to connect.

So I guess their only option for a deorbit would be a spacewalk to Atlantis.

I don't personally know what was or wasn't possible, but here is a word-for-word transcript of what Hadfield said when he was describing why he felt partly responsible for the Columbia disaster.

And I kind of looked at it and I went, eh, I think it'll be OK. And, you know, management thinks it's within the scope of what we've done before. And unfortunately, the crew of Columbia couldn't go look to see if they were damaged. We didn't have a robot arm, a cannon arm, on that flight. And it was - the area that was suspect was hidden underneath the big open doors. You know, it's looking at the back of your own armpit.

You can't look there. And so we made the wrong judgment. And I was a senior and respected enough astronaut that if I had made this my own particular tirade, I could've stood up and said I am not going to allow that crew to come back until we send them out on a space walk and see if we have a hole or not.

Note the part I bolded -- he seemed to think they could have gone on a space walk to check at least. Here's a link to the whole transcript:
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=241830872

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

On another note, just purchased his book couple days ago. So far it is an interesting read, but only started. Anyone that wants a copy should get one, as I was told by the bookstore sales help they are flying off the books shelves and not to expect anymore till well after Xmas. Very interesting person Hadfield is.

I'd be interested in hearing more about it when you finish the book...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Pretty good costume!

On another note, just purchased his book couple days ago. So far it is an interesting read, but only started. Anyone that wants a copy should get one, as I was told by the bookstore sales help they are flying off the books shelves and not to expect anymore till well after Xmas. Very interesting person Hadfield is.

Well... I just discovered that the book is free on iBooks. I was just noodling around on Mavericks (on my non-production system) - trying to figure out how this new fangled iBooks thingy worked. I brought up the Free Books ('cause I'm cheap)... and there, in the #1 spot, was Chris Hadfield's new book. Cool. Problem is my old iPad is probably too old to run iBooks 1.5 which is listed as being the minimum required. But I will check that out in a day or two. "Ground control to Major Tom...."

Just re-watched his video... too... still sends chills up my spine.

Last edited:

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Nope, not free. Just looked. If you saw it free earlier, than Apple did too and corrected it.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Well... I just discovered that the book is free on iBooks. I was just noodling around on Mavericks (on my non-production system) - trying to figure out how this new fangled iBooks thingy worked. I brought up the Free Books ('cause I'm cheap)... and there, in the #1 spot, was Chris Hadfield's new book. Cool. Problem is my old iPad is probably too old to run iBooks 1.5 which is listed as being the minimum required. But I will check that out in a day or two. "Ground control to Major Tom...."

Just re-watched his video... too... still sends chills up my spine.

Yeah. Lucky you getting it free. Real live Canadian Hero.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
floating guitar was risky business

you know, space...

----------

He couldn't, nor could the RIAA. Space isn't pursuant to the Berne Convention, and the DMCA only applies to Earth and a rather small part of it. ;)

BL.

funny, but shouldn't the "international" space station be something like international waters?

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Reviving this one last time.

Apparently, licensing did come into account with this, and they only had allowed for the video to be available for a year. Today is the last day of that year, so it will be pulled down as of tomorrow morning. So if you want to get a look at it, today is your last chance to see it.

From Comm. Hadfield's comment on the clip:

Chris Hadfield via Google+ 4 hours ago
Bowie's last day - we had permission for a year, so our Space Oddity video comes down today. One last look: 

So here you go, one last time. Enjoy:

BL.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reviving this one last time.

Apparently, licensing did come into account with this, and they only had allowed for the video to be available for a year. Today is the last day of that year, so it will be pulled down as of tomorrow morning. So if you want to get a look at it, today is your last chance to see it.

From Comm. Hadfield's comment on the clip:

So here you go, one last time. Enjoy:

YouTube: video

BL.

Awesome. Brilliant. Wonderful. And still every bit as spectacular, amazing and moving as when I first watched it last year.

Thank you very much for the timely reminder - I hadn't realised that the video could only be viewed for a year; and, all credit, too, to David Bowie for granting permission.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Of course, you can still download the clip - at least for a while yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Video is marked private so its not coming up.

I remember it from last year and it was nice from what I can recall.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Awesome. Brilliant. Wonderful. And still every bit as spectacular, amazing and moving as when I first watched it last year.

Thank you very much for the timely reminder - I hadn't realised that the video could only be viewed for a year; and, all credit, too, to David Bowie for granting permission.

Bowie is one of my favorite artists, and i understand copyright and all the blabla, but here he could have just let the clip on without a 'deadline'.
not like it's gonna destroy his source of income. :D
if anything it was good PR.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Bowie is one of my favorite artists, and i understand copyright and all the blabla, but here he could have just let the clip on without a 'deadline'.

I don't know if it had to deal with Bowie, or the record label. Who owns the rights to the song? If Bowie, there at least will be talks about it. If the record label, they're screwed until they 'forget' to renew the rights on it, or 50+ years, whichever comes first.

BL.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Sure, I am in complete agreement with you. This is a video which captures the essence, or spirit of the song so utterly, so faithfully, and so truly, that yes…..I doubt that 'copyright' issues would have hurt income, and the setting, and song - sung in such a context - would easily have brought in further revenue……and the 'deadline' - could have been sacrificed in the interests of 'the common good'.

No argument.

However, I will still give DB (whom, I, also admire greatly as an artist) credit for facilitating the viewing of this video for a year without expecting any immediate financial reward…..

I don't know if it had to deal with Bowie, or the record label. Who owns the rights to the song? If Bowie, there at least will be talks about it. If the record label, they're screwed until they 'forget' to renew the rights on it, or 50+ years, whichever comes first.

BL.

I think it may depend on the specific copyright legislation in a given jurisdiction; some have a copyright of 30 years, others 50…..in this actual case, I confess that I have no idea whatsoever what the exact legal position may be….

In any case, my grateful thanks for reminding me to view it again before the the right to view it expired. It was wonderful, (again) and I was delighted to be able to see it again (no less than three times…..)

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
...If the record label, they're screwed until they 'forget' to renew the rights on it, or 50+ years, whichever comes first.

Duration of copyrights vary, both by country and according to the law(s) in effects at the time a given work was originally registered.

Worldwide map of copyright term length

World_copyright_terms.svg

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
And reviving this again. The video is up, with a 2-year extension. From Hadfield's blog:

http://chrishadfield.ca/space-oddity/

Space Oddity

When David Bowie wrote and recorded Space Oddity in 1969, I wonder if he ever imagined it being played in orbit?

When David Bowie wrote and recorded Space Oddity in 1969, I wonder if he ever imagined it being played in orbit? Even more so, would he have imagined (or worried about) the legal concerns of extra-planetary music?

The version of Space Oddity that I recorded on the International Space Station has had an amazing response – one I couldn’t have foreseen and has made me think about ever since. Just before we took it off of our YouTube channel to honour the 1-year agreement, it had been viewed 23,489,187 times. With the countless re-posts and re-broadcasts on television the actual number was far higher – hundreds of millions of people, from Seoul to Lahore to Lagos, watched, listened and thus took part in what has become a defining moment in my life. A humbling experience, shared with the whole planet.

The reasons we originally made the video were multifold. It was in response to repeated widespread requests via social media. It was a fun Saturday project with my son, Evan. It was a continuation of the other music that I was playing and recording while on ISS. But maybe most importantly, it was a chance to let people see where we truly are in space exploration. We’re not just probing what lies beyond Earth – we inhabit it. For the past 14 years, humans have lived and worked aboard a research vessel orbiting our planet. It is science fiction come to life. Like at all initial outposts, we’ve brought our traditions and sensibilities and are applying and appreciating them in a new place. Sometimes, as in the case of Oddity, it has let us see our ideas and creations, ourselves, in a new light. I had hoped to be able to capture the feeling of this one small step for humanity, and share it with you all.

Thus it was with some regret that we took the Space Oddity video off YouTube last May. David Bowie and his publisher had been very gracious. They had allowed his work, his intellectual property, to be made freely available to everyone for a year, and had in fact worked with us and the Canadian Space Agency to make it happen. There was no rancour, and we removed it from YouTube to honour that agreement.

This sequence wasn’t anyone’s fault. The day we took the video down we started to work again to get permission to get it re-posted. But the legal process is careful and exacting, and thus takes time. Despite countless on-line expressions of frustration and desire, it wasn’t anyone’s ill-will or jealousy that kept this version of Oddity off YouTube. It was merely the natural consequence of due process.

In the magazine The Economist, Glenn Fleishman wrote an excellent summary of some of the legal concerns. The Space Station was built by 15 countries, and depending on where I floated while singing and playing, whose copyright laws applied? Which Space Agency owned the recording? Whose jurisdiction was I in?

I’m not a space lawyer (although if I were a lawyer that’s the type I’d want to be!), but I’d imagined some of these complexities and had contacted Bowie’s publisher and legal team from orbit. They had subsequently worked happily and professionally with me and the Canadian Space Agency. The release of the video was all agreed-to when it was originally posted on May 2013. Bowie himself loved it, posting on Facebook that it was “possibly the most poignant version of the song ever created”. As a result of this, the recent reapplication of the legal process has been fairly straightforward.

And now, we are so happy to be able to announce that my on-orbit cover of Space Oddity is back up on YouTube. This time we have a new 2-year agreement, and it is there, for free, for everyone. We’re proud to have helped bring Bowie’s genius from 1969 into space itself in 2013, and now ever-forward. Special thanks to Onward Music Ltd, to the Canadian Space Agency and NASA, to musicians Emm Gryner and Joe Corcoran, to videographer Andrew Tidby, to my son Evan, and mostly to Mr. David Bowie himself. For the countless others who have helped work to bring about a new era of exploration, the art of it sings to us all.

– Chris

See the OP for the video, and continue to enjoy!

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
This is awesome, and props to David Bowie for agreeing to another 2 years.:)

Dammit, I shouldn't have looked at his site. He's on a booksigning tour. Houston today, Austin tomorrow, Powell's City of books in Portland, OR on the 7th, and at Boeing Field for a talk, signing, and facility tour on the 8th.

BL.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And reviving this again. The video is up, with a 2-year extension. From Hadfield's blog:

http://chrishadfield.ca/space-oddity/

See the OP for the video, and continue to enjoy!

BL.

Wonderful news; thanks a lot for posting this, and I shall undoubtedly take the opportunity to enjoy this - and be moved by it - again. All credit to Chris Hadfield - who is a genuinely incredibly impressive (and wonderfully modest) individual, and all credit, too, to the legendary David Bowie and his staff.

This is a wonderful, generous, big-hearted, warm gesture, one made with the 'public good' in mind - what better way could there be to listen to this sing than in that particular setting?

It is entirely to David Bowie's credit that he is able to recognise this - to recognise that this song has gone into the lexicon of modern cultural references and is best served by a stunning (and freely available) performance in such an unforgettable setting. Even when crafted and created by a writer/performer/singer/artist as legendary as David Bowie (and he is big and getting bigger and better both as artist and man - his latest album was first rate) some songs and settings come to transcend their creator. A good artist makes great art - but a great artist knows that some of the great art that they have made is better belonging to the world.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
i found this picture of the Himalyas that he took and found it breathtaking. I need to track down some of the others he took...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 71
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.