Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Apple hides the Library directory from Finder by default. A thought that crossed my mind is that Apple now wants to add /Users to its list of hidden directories. I hope this is not the case, however.

Perhaps you have not been following the news of the issues.

Ponta

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2012
More Than That...

It not only hid my Users folder, it hid my Shared folder as well. I repeated the same sudo command with /Shared tacked on and it came back.

Also, after upgrading, my ability to use an HDMI cable got completely wiped out. Now my Macbook Pro just continuously resets the resolution until I unplug the cable.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Perhaps you have not been following the news of the issues.

I have read that some users have noticed that their /Users folder is hidden after updating to the latest point release of OS X Mavericks. I was pondering, however, if this issue is more of a "feature" than a "bug," though, since Apple does want to hide a lot of the underpinnings of the OS from casual users.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Do you think that's intentional?
1) a user's DropBox folder is a bit hidden away and I suspect the majority of users don't even know it's there

2) There's no reason for one user to see another user's folder if it's not to use DropBox

3) the Shared folder within Users is a bit of a permissions nightmare and requires regular 'attention' if it's actually used

Given the above, I have a CRAZY THEORY that Apple are investigating some magic, AirDrop-inspired application for the sharing of files between multiple users on the same Mac.

They got as far as hiding the display of Users and Shared, which would be redundant – you've always got 'Home'.

They didn't get as far as putting the Magic New Sharing App on the updater.

And they somehow managed to put the 'hidden Users and Shared' variant up on at least one of their update distribution servers.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
does seem weird never had issue on the betas including 13D61

Currently hiding on MP5,1 visible on rMBP

I went with the 'show all files, drag to sidebar and hide files again' option

Did same for Users/Shared as it had went undercover too

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
One suggestion is that people were deleting the folder and borking their machine

Just to show how big a dork I am, when I read this, I immediately thought of this:
Bork-Bork.jpg

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Have the issue :eek:
Nothing else is affected though - the folder is still accessible, and Go to Folder is not affected.

Do you think that's intentional?
This is definitely unintentional as it removes all restrictions on the Users folder. That is a serious security vulnerability.

MikeTheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
I believe this to be a bug, and related to permissions. I was able to run the terminal command: 'sudo chflags nohidden /Users' , and then repair permissions. This made the /Users folder appear and stay even after a reboot.

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
It not only hid my Users folder, it hid my Shared folder as well. I repeated the same sudo command with /Shared tacked on and it came back.

Also, after upgrading, my ability to use an HDMI cable got completely wiped out. Now my Macbook Pro just continuously resets the resolution until I unplug the cable.

What??? Yikes, that's no good...

I wonder, could people that have the problem please post whether they used the App Store/Software Update or downloaded the Combo updater? It would be good to figure out whether there's a difference between the update methods.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
They got as far as hiding the display of Users and Shared, which would be redundant – you've always got 'Home'.
/Users/Shared isn't redundant to the home folder. It's a location to put files where multiple users can access them freely.

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
I believe this to be a bug, and related to permissions. I was able to run the terminal command: 'sudo chflags nohidden /Users' , and then repair permissions. This made the /Users folder appear and stay even after a reboot.

ah, okay. Good to know.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I can understand hiding the Library folder. A naive user could lose a lot of important data/settings by deleting what look like junk files.

But hiding the Users folder makes absolutely no sense. How are you supposed to navigate to another User's dropbox, or their public folder?

hiding the library folder resulted in me not being able to find my ios device backups. until i read on one of the forums that you can navigate to them through itunes. and the path bar showed a grayed out library folder! so the path exists, only NOT.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
What??? Yikes, that's no good...

I wonder, could people that have the problem please post whether they used the App Store/Software Update or downloaded the Combo updater? It would be good to figure out whether there's a difference between the update methods.

/Users/ hidden and so is Shared (although I hid the latter one myself already...)
Updated via App Store.
3 user accounts.
Funny ACL entries in log.
/Users/ also has Read and Write priviledges for Everyone (this seems dubious, but I don't remember if that was there before).

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
/Users/ also has Read and Write priviledges for Everyone (this seems dubious, but I don't remember if that was there before).

Nope. I'm still on 10.9.2 and Users is only Read/Write for the logged-in user. Read Only for "admin" and "everyone."

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well I may have a slight lead on this. I've never seen this before (showed up during installation).

Also, I don't remember the /Users/ folder allowing "Everyone" Read & Write privileges.

Anybody else seeing this?

It has to be read/write for everyone! The home directories aren't read/write by everyone which is what you should care about.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I really can't understand how this happened....Apple has some of the brightest minds in the world working for them. They had both the usual developer betas (lots for the 10.9.3 release) and this time even public betas....none of which exhibited this "bug/feature".

Why in god's name would they change something in the code drastically enough to let something like this creep into the actual release when it never appeared as a beta issue? THAT is not the way to run a beta program.

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
This is such a minor thing, and very easily fixed. Simple terminal command and permissions repair. I haven't seen any other issues at all so far.

Well, no, not really. If the permissions are mangled it's really not a minor thing...

----------

I really can't understand how this happened....Apple has some of the brightest minds in the world working for them. They had both the usual developer betas (lots for the 10.9.3 release) and this time even public betas....none of which exhibited this "bug/feature".

Why in god's name would they change something in the code drastically enough to let something like this creep into the actual release when it never appeared as a beta issue? THAT is not the way to run a beta program.

I wonder if the problem is in the installer, not the actual OS update.

MikeTheMacGuy

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
Well, no, not really. If the permissions are mangled it's really not a minor thing...

----------

I wonder if the problem is in the installer, not the actual OS update.

I ran the update via the app store first, then started seeing the issue. Downloaded the combo update and installed it over the top which didn't change anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.