Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Okay, I learn so much from these forums, and maybe everyone knows.... but does anyone know of a better music search engine than Limewire? I'm on a T1 connection but Limewire sucks! There's either not enough users or my files just don't like to download. I hate it. It seems like Kazaa has it down for the PC users, does anyone know of it's coming out for the Mac or a similar program?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
How dare you copy my posting style!
imad.gif
ppphhht.gif
grinning.gif

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Yep, it's Kazaa lite. But you need VPC to run it, Aquisition doesn't compare.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Neo is the name of software that is compatible with Kazaa that is available for the Mac...it is available on Versiontracker.

There are also Carracho and iSwipe as good Mac softwares for other p2p networks.

Micho

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2002
You know when you live in th mac hole in the wall no offense i havent left my whole life you missout on alot of things. Kaaza cant be that much better then lime wire... you just have to um work for it on limewire. thanks for the acquisition link fleet.
now what would be cool is to have a plug-in to sherlock for a p2p client any body know of something like that, or a place where i could get my hands on some source to rev-eng.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Kazaa is probably the biggest network on the PC at this time... this doesnt exist for the Mac, and no solid plans that it is coming to the Mac.

AudioGalaxy and Napster used to be the largest MP3 networks. These are both gone, for all intents and purposes.

Gnutella - which is Limewire, and now Morpheus - is relatively large but the network doesn't work very well in my opinion. Limewire exists for the Mac.

The largest/most available MP3 network at this time is probably OpenNap... which is based on the Napster network but with individual-run Napster-like servers. http://www.drumbeat.info (shareware) and XNap (http://xnap.sourceforge.net/) are your best bets.

DirectConnect is coming to Mac OS X soon... (within a month or so)

arn

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Wow, thanks everyone. I've written a lot of these down. Too bad they can't just hack a plug-in to work with Kazzaa users. I'll check out Versiontracker, maybe someone's working on it. heh heh.

Peace

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
neo uses a roundabout way of connecting to kazaa networks by doint a port-scan and downloading a list of files. it's tedious and does not yield as many results, but it's a start.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
there is one reason i use limewire over kazaa. because of copyright laws, kazaa doesnt let you share music over 128kbps. personally i like to go with at least 192 because of quality purposes and then listening to them on my bose stero in my car. most people cant notice the difference, sometimes i really cant tell the difference. limwire will let you share music at any quality. the only thing i can recommend is that you buy vpc or go buy the cds like we all should.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.