Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I welcome whatever Apple can do to accelerate my combining of all payment and rewards cards into one system. I guess something like Coin is supposed to be but better... in a device I already want to carry with me.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I thought I had seen articles saying that NFC had more or less failed in terms of adoption and that even google wallet was moving to alternatives. It seems to me like the iBeacon stuff was gaining traction. Why would Apple give up on iBeacon and move to something that wasn't being adopted by others?

Edit: From a previous MR article
"Apple has steadfastly refused to adopt NFC and because it has fallen out of popularity, Google recently ceased requiring NFC technology in order to utilize the app on Android, shifting its focus from mobile payments to focus on loyalty cards, merchant offers, and discounts."

This +1. It seems Apple is going a different direction then NFC with iBeacons, TouchID and Passbook features. Sure, they still might use it in the future, but for now I think they will wait and continue developing their own payment system. While they have patents centered around NFC and the like, they often patent things they don't use in case they decide to use it later on.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Ah, the perpetual "next iPhone will include NFC" rumor.

What, no haptic touchscreen this time around?

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I welcome whatever Apple can do to accelerate my combining of all payment and rewards cards into one system. I guess something like Coin is supposed to be but better... in a device I already want to carry with me.

Coin may have been better if the major credit card issuers in the US weren't phasing out magnetic stripe credit cards in 2015.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The only reason for any resentment to NFC on this forum has always been the fact that to admit that NFC is is a good thing is to admit that iPhone is lacking an important feature. The same is true about many other technologies (smaller tablets, larger phones, pressure sensitive pen, OLED displays and even LTE at some point). The silliness never stops.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
To be absolutely honest, I've not seen one NFC payment platform anywhere in my life, and I've heard others say the same.

I don't think the problem is the technology, but the reluctance of places to invest in an expensive system for those few people with NFC phones, and then the even smaller minority of people who will then actually use the feature. But if they hear Apple is backing it, they will soon change their tune.

Apple may not be the first (or indeed the best), but they do have a lot of influence on the mobile industry and it's associated areas, and this alone is a huge strength to have.

I'd like to see this in the fabled 'iWatch', so you can just swipe your wrist instead of reaching your phone out of your pocket every time.

It's a redundant solution, card terminals are already everywhere. No doubt there are companies that want the smart phone to become a wallet, but it provides very few benefits to the customer.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Should be good... As long as Eddy Cue and Roger Rosner aren't the ones in charge of the implementation... (think iCloud, iWork).

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
The only reason for any resentment to NFC on this forum has always been the fact that to admit that NFC is is a good thing is to admit that iPhone is lacking an important feature. The same is true about many other technologies (smaller tablets, larger phones, pressure sensitive pen, OLED displays and even LTE at some point). The silliness never stops.

To me NFC is just a redundant feature to what bluetooth & WIFI already does or can be made to do. The limited range is also a big negative.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Apple better be working with a lot of retailers to use NFC, because the only store I go to that uses it is CVS. If they can get places like Target and the big restaurant chains to use NFC, then it would be big.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
It's a redundant solution, card terminals are already everywhere. No doubt there are companies that want the smart phone to become a wallet, but it provides very few benefits to the customer.

Like I said above I can't wait for something like this to happen from Apple.

Yes card terminals are everywhere but 'contactless payment' terminals are VERY slowly replacing them. Just imagine not having to carry a wallet. No store cards, no credit cards, no debit cards.

Hell, in a perfect implementation no ID. Just wave your phone over a scanner (police, airport etc.) and authenticate with TouchID. No need to carry anything else.

That would be the opposite to redundant. Carrying cards would be redundant if mobile Oses could crack this problem with a clean implementation.

Obviously problems too - what if your battery dies for example, or your TouchID sensor breaks...

EDIT - I guess if the TouchID sensor breaks it could always revert to a pre-set password like it does today for iTunes Store purchases.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Nfc...

Here we have a classic problem. There's not much use of NFC in the United States (at least, not as extensive as in other certain countries), which means that Apple isn't compelled to include it in the iPhone. However, the adoption level is lower than it should be right now because Apple hasn't adopted it. At the same time, if Apple did include it, we would see NFC adoption rates go up. Yea, Apple has this much influence. :p

Anyways, if the iPhone got NFC just now, how would they explain it at the unveiling? It may be a bit difficult to explain at this point in time. "We noticed that many of our competitors have NFC, so in order to compete we have included NFC in our phone." :rolleyes:

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I thought I had seen articles saying that NFC had more or less failed in terms of adoption.
Depends where I guess. In Japan NFC is basically everywhere. Ironically, Japan is also the country where iOS has the biggest market share, way ahead of Android.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
and Apple is in the process of updating its in-store point-of-sale system with one that supports NFC.

This alone is a shoe in... all cards have to be chip and pin in the US by October 2015 -- and the retail business for them is the largest here... so between now and then, they're going to see a huge influx of customers with their new cards. They need to be able to support them instanly. NFC seemingly goes hand-in-hand with the chips, and for Apple using a bunch of iPhones as their registers, they'd even be able to shrink down the size of the add-on device they use to just read the NFC. I don't think alone it necessarily means NFC in the phone itself -- they'd also have to replace all corporate-use phones if eliminating the add-on was a goal.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
I dont think apple is going to adopt NFC. And if they do it wont be this year

If they want to keep up with the UK market, they're going to have to whether they like it or not. Smart ticketing systems are being rolled out (outside of London, where they already have the Oyster Card) and we can expect to see apps for these. There's also the PayM initiative that has just launched, and that most of the banks have signed up to. An element of this is expected to be NFC payments.

It's Apple's choice, but, when it comes to mobile payments, there are already phones more useful than a 5S.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Setting aside the fandroids that love NFC simply because its something they can put into the pile labeled things the iPhone doesn't have, and the fan boys who hate it simply because the iPhone doesn't have it so it must not be needed, what does NFC do that can't be done using BTLE?

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Here we have a classic problem. There's not much use of NFC in the United States (at least, not as extensive as in other certain countries), which means that Apple isn't compelled to include it in the iPhone. However, the adoption level is lower than it should be right now because Apple hasn't adopted it. At the same time, if Apple did include it, we would see NFC adoption rates go up. Yea, Apple has this much influence. :p

Anyways, if the iPhone got NFC just now, how would they explain it at the unveiling? It may be a bit difficult to explain at this point in time. "We noticed that many of our competitors have NFC, so in order to compete we have included NFC in our phone." :rolleyes:

True but the US lags in most technology and as the US declines further corporations are beginning to look beyond that market for new sales so I think the time is here where Apple will step up.

BassPlayer

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
West Haven, CT
As for lack of adoption in the States, we have the Mobil EZ-Pass, which is either a key chain thingamajig or a unit placed in the window that will turn on a gas pump and authorize your purchanse immediately. You can also wave it inside at the register for in-store purchases. Seems to work fine for those adopters. It's just a lack of other companies taking to it.

And what's the tech behind EZPass and other roll-through toll paying units? Isn't that NFC too?

Seems to me that NFC is still a valid option. Just needs that extra oomph to get a bit more mainstream.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Setting aside the fandroids that love NFC simply because its something they can put into the pile labeled things the iPhone doesn't have, and the fan boys who hate it simply because the iPhone doesn't have it so it must not be needed, what does NFC do that can't be done using BTLE?

The banking industry is supporting NFC, as will various smart ticketing systems for public transport. I'm not sure Apple can afford to go it alone with this one.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Only three years after everyone else... something something innovation....:rolleyes:

That's what people said about the iPod (and almost everything Apple releases)…

Infrastructure in the U.S. is still not quite ready for wide use of NFC; other countries are far ahead of the U.S. with this though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.