Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cymad

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Looks like a great piece of tech!
If only the 256GB version was cheaper, this would be amazing.

If you install OSX on it, would the touch feature still work? Is there a hack for that already available?

rembem

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
And in what way is this Apple related exactly?

Macrumors, news and rumors you care about.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
When I saw the guy shilling this thing HUG IT on stage because its "personal" i could hear SJ laughing his ass off from beyond the grave.

Microsoft, BLESS THEIR HEARTS. They try so hard over there.

#iPadAirforthewin

Surely they try harder than Apple, isn't that right?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
front row at the event hahaha

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 12.48.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 12.48.20 PM.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 3,535

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
How many failed attempts and millions (maybe billions) of dollars can Microsoft afford to do? OH wait, this is Microsoft. The 90% Marketshare and Business Choice for the world. I guess if this fails maybe the 4th, 5th, 6th may catch on and finally dominate the market.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
I just wish the iPad had that stylus. Nothing third party vendors can offer compares to a really good integrated stylus for writing.

And here I thought that I was the only one. I think the problem is that many people won't use it. I'd love one to use with notability for taking lecture notes as well as for drawing. Then at home my nephew could use it for those kid friendly drawing and coloring apps.

Doubt it is coming though. Very few people seem to be "asking" for an official  stylus

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
nitpicking but i dont like the back AT ALL. that color reminds me of how hardware used to look in the 90s

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
How many failed attempts and millions (maybe billions) of dollars can Microsoft afford to do? OH wait, this is Microsoft. The 90% Marketshare and Business Choice for the world. I guess if this fails maybe the 4th, 5th, 6th may catch on and finally dominate the market.

So they have to dominate the market to be profitable? iOS doesn't dominate the market anymore. A product doesn't have to dominate to be profitable or to be good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Purely as a piece of hardware, this thing is nice! Really nice in fact. Without wanting to sound callous towards a certain Mr Jobs, this product is the perfect demonstration for stylus input, despite the former's distain for them.

It's a pity that Windows has to live on it, although I imagine it will be the perfect laptop replacement for those who depend on Windows software/support - particularly in huge install-bases like education. It's all very well criticising the OS, but many people are happy with it and will always find ways to 'combat' the latest the versions of Windows.

If Microsoft fell into one trap however, it's that they didn't properly consider the hardware requirements for Windows 8, and that in turn crippled both the original Surface RT and the OS. With Surface Pro 3, I'm more sceptical that the price points and specifications won't match the required levels of productivity. This is especially true now that cheaper external storage is available, and of course that we have now reached a point where Mac's themselves a gaining more attention even for just general computing, besides professional work. My worry for Microsoft is that, unless they form a campaign for how the Surface can be used in typical workplace situations, few will take it seriously.

But, much in the same way that Apple's approach with iOS and OS X is suited to other customers in other situations, the technology space is a much brighter affair when companies challenge each other indirectly and friendly, and whilst still focusing on markets that depend on their services. It's just a shame the way things have gone with Samsung.

Well done though, Microsoft!

Last edited:

mengel

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Really?

Compared to what?

Why does everyone keep saying "Compared to what?" Compared to a MBA of course. For $30 cheaper you get an 11" MBA with the same battery life, an i5 processor and twice the storage running OSX. Sure you lose out on 1" of display and it is marginally heavier. Compared to that, it is expensive.

Compared to a 64 GB iPad where you actually get most of the 64GB, it is maybe a wash. Window washing... I don't know, see what you can do with that.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I wish Apple would come out with a Keyboard cover. its the one thing that Microsoft is doing right. For the OS, no thanks windows I will take iOS. And the hardware, I hope that Apple continues to use the ARM chips instead of intel.

So, this is a nice attempt by MS, but i am waiting for Apple to release a iPad that is 16:9, with an iOS that allows for multiple simultaneous windows, and an integrated keyboard cover option. I expect it to be A7/8 chip not intel.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Getting closer Microsoft...I'll check back when Surface 12 shows up. At least they finally realized 16:9 is a stupid A/R for a tablet.

On a related note, wouldn't it REALLY be funny if Apple does release a 12" iPad Pro that could run OS X in an app. That would hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.