Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has usurped Apple as the world's most valuable brand in Millward Brown's annual BrandZ study of global brands (via The Telegraph). This comes after the survey had named Apple the top brand for the past three years.

brandz2014.png
The study saw Apple's brand value decline 20%, from $185 billion to $147 billion, while Google saw a 40% increase, from $113 billion to $158 billion. Samsung also grew, going from the 30th most valuable brand to the 29th with a 21% jump, growing from $21 billion to $25 billion.

The big question for Apple, according to Millward Brown, is whether Apple is still redefining technology:
Google has knocked Apple off its perch after three years at the top. Apple is performing well but is it still redefining technology for consumers?
Overall, Brown noted that the study, which has four technology brands in the top five, reiterates how integral technology is to the lives of people.

Among other technology brands, Microsoft jumped into the top five with a 20% increase, going from $69 billion to $90 billion, while IBM stayed put at number three with a 4% decrease. The largest increase in technology came from Facebook, who jumped 10 places to 21 with a 68% increase, going from $21 billion to $35 billion.

While "brand value" studies can be difficult to compare, because of the use of differing methodologies used by those who gather the data can lead to much different results, they can be a good look at marketing and branding trends.

Article Link: Google Beats Out Apple as World's Most Valuable Brand

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
As sad as this news makes me, this might be an additional kick Apple needs to start kicking themselves back into high gear again. Even as a loyal enthusiast I can see they've been coasting by the past few years.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
I don't want Apple to be the top dog. I want them to always in second place. That way, it gives them a reason to make more incredible products.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
This is exactly why a few months ago I said that the way MacRumors chooses to write the headlines is stupid, yes, when almost on every article you write you talk about companies and personal names you can't use a capital letter to every single word in the headline.

"Google Beats Out Apple"

Please tell me that wasn't on purpose and misleading when all they have posted in the past few day is about Apple buying Beats.

"Google beats out Apple"

That's the way to go, for me at least.

Plus, IBM on third place when their core business is to companies and not people, I don't think that's accurate.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Not sure what this all means, but I know one thing...All Apple has to do is release a bigger screen iPhone and toss in a few customizable bells and whistles for iOS 8 and it chops Google and Samsung's legs out from under them. Apple's hardware design still dominates it's competitors on mobile devices and there are still no PC manufacturers that come close to the Mac's fit and finish. All of this Apple hatred has been brewing based on screen size and lack of customization in iOS. If those things change, what does Android and Samsung have left other than a hunk of plastic, carrier logos, and bloatware?

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
How is Microsoft even on this list? As far as I can see, they're not exactly "redefining technology for consumers."

:confused:
Looking further down the Top 10 I'd say that McDonald's, Coca Cola and Marlboro aren't exactly "redefining burgers / sugar water / cancer for consumers", either.

I don't understand brand valuation. The dominance of Google certainly makes it a valuable company, but does ubiquity automatically make a brand valuable?

Is there a friendly brand manager out there who can help us out?

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
This ranking appears to be the end of Apple as we know it. It's all because Apple doesn't have Apple Glass to challenge Google Glass. The world has seen the future and Apple is nowhere to be found.

/s

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Not sure what this all means, but I know one thing...All Apple has to do is release a bigger screen iPhone and toss in a few customizable bells and whistles for iOS 8 and it chops Google and Samsung's legs out from under them. Apple's hardware design still dominates it's competitors on mobile devices and there are still no PC manufacturers that come close to the Mac's fit and finish. All of this Apple hatred has been brewing based on screen size and lack of customization in iOS. If those things change, what does Android and Samsung have left other than a hunk of plastic, carrier logos, and bloatware?

I hope everyone who reads MacRumors reads this post.

That is literally ALL Apple has to do. I don't think people realize how many people switched to Android ONLY because it has a bigger screen. MILLIONS of people!

The second thing is customization.

If Apple just does both of those things, iOS 8 + iPhone 6 are going to blow everything else away. And of course Apple has the best designs.

I can't wait.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
This is exactly why a few months ago I said that the way MacRumors chooses to write the headlines is stupid, yes, when almost on every article you write you talk about companies and personal names you can't use a capital letter to every single word in the headline.

"Google Beats Out Apple"

Please tell me that wasn't on purpose and misleading when all they have posted in the past few day is about Apple buying Beats.

"Google beats out Apple"

That's the way to go, for me at least.

Plus, IBM on third place when their core business is to companies and not people, I don't think that's accurate.

It depends what styling guide the author has been taught or what the website postulates when writing articles. However, generally one does not capitalise articles, coordinating conjunctions and prepositions unless they are the first word of the title. All other types of words tend to be capitalised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.