Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arsenalrule

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I'm having a problem the last few days with my ipad 4 charging. Every now and again I look at it and it says not charging. I'm not sure if I'm using an official lead or not but I'm using a 12w official plug. I've tried a another 12w plug and it's the same.
Also can a cable mess up a ipad battery. I swear it got worse when I got a cable online.
Should I restore the ipad, I have tried running down the battery, then charging it up again..
I hope someone can help or offer advice thanks
Adam

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
The answer to your problem seems pretty obvious. It's your "questionable" lead! Get yourself a genuine Apple lead and your problems should be solved.

arsenalrule

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Ok I've found my wife's official cable for a iPhone is it ok to use it on my ipad.

arsenalrule

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Ok the official charger charged it perfect. I tried 4 cAbles of another brand and only the official one worked. Thanks for resolving this.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Are the other cables Apple certified? If they're knockoffs or some obscure brand, that probably explains why they don't work.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
What brand is it? If it's Belkin, Griffin, etc. it should be Apple certified.

----------

The OP already answered this.

The OP did not. He only stated that he used third party cables and not Apple genuine/official cables. He does not know if the third party cables are Apple certified or not.

arsenalrule

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Too end this they were just cheap cables bought from some mobile shop. They charge my mobile fine but struggle with my ipad.

Even using my apple charger, they are rubbish on ipad

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Always trust Apple products. Don't trust third party products they need your big money so they can get away with it. :apple:

Some people prefer third party products because they're usually more durable than Apple cables. I personally only use Apple cables, but I will only trust big third party accessory makers (Belkin, Griffin, etc.). If the cable is really cheap, it's usually very poor quality.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Some people prefer third party products because they're usually more durable than Apple cables. I personally only use Apple cables, but I will only trust big third party accessory makers (Belkin, Griffin, etc.). If the cable is really cheap, it's usually very poor quality.

Biggest issue I have with non-Apple products - even Apple-Certified - is the ends are not always the same size. Usually just enough bigger to not work with my case XD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.