Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onehellofalover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Hello Everyone! :)

I'd like to thank whoever created this web-site for making such a great forum site! :D Anyway, back to my question, is there "Paint" for OS X Tiger? I recently switched from PC to Mac and really liked using Paint for assorted little things. If there isn't a "Paint" for my brand-new operating system, then what would be the best alternative? :p Thank you all for your help!

Sincerely,

Robert S.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Surprisingly, this is a very common question here on MacRumors. I use GraphicConverter for simple graphics stuff. It's actually very powerful, but it's still lightweight and easy to use for simple stuff. If you've got a PowerBook or Power Mac, it came with your computer. Otherwise I think it's $29. Seashore is a good freeware app. There's a really new app called Poster Paint written by one of the members here on the forums. It's meant to be an answer to all these "where's Paint?" posts, but it's very new, and still probably a little to basic for most people. I've not used it, but iMacs, iBooks and Mac minis come with AppleWorks which includes a simple drawing application.

In summary, if you've got a "pro" Mac, use GraphicConverter. If you've got a "consumer" Mac, use AppleWorks. If you don't like either of those, try Seashore.

As an aside, the original Mac came with an application called MacPaint, which was one of the (maybe very?) first paint programs for personal computers. It's a little strange that Apple doesn't still include a (newer) version of MacPaint.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Preview, Graphic Converter, or the ColorSync utility can handle most graphic issues. Also try:

MS Paint replacement (this has been suggested; i have not used it) — Teal

For filters — FunHouse

.. and don't forget about GIMP. :)

peace | neut

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
mduser63 said:
Surprisingly, this is a very common question here on MacRumors. I use GraphicConverter for simple graphics stuff. It's actually very powerful, but it's still lightweight and easy to use for simple stuff. If you've got a PowerBook or Power Mac, it came with your computer. Otherwise I think it's $29. Seashore is a good freeware app. There's a really new app called Poster Paint written by one of the members here on the forums. It's meant to be an answer to all these "where's Paint?" posts, but it's very new, and still probably a little to basic for most people. I've not used it, but iMacs, iBooks and Mac minis come with AppleWorks which includes a simple drawing application.

In summary, if you've got a "pro" Mac, use GraphicConverter. If you've got a "consumer" Mac, use AppleWorks. If you don't like either of those, try Seashore.

As an aside, the original Mac came with an application called MacPaint, which was one of the (maybe very?) first paint programs for personal computers. It's a little strange that Apple doesn't still include a (newer) version of MacPaint.

Good post! You should do a MacGuides page.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
mduser63 said:
If you've got a PowerBook or Power Mac, it came with your computer.

I might be blind, but I have a rev. B 2GHz PM, and dont see this. Where abouts is it?

Thanks

F

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
I didn't know anybody used paint...

you can try Preview in Tiger to do cropping and convert formats, Preview comes with the OS has has these enhancements in Tiger.

or you can use iPhoto.

If you want to draw stuff with the mouse (?????) you can also use the GIMP, it's free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.