Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has agreed to lease a new seven-building campus in Sunnyvale, CA, where it could move up to 1,450 employees, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

20140521__0522apple2.jpg
Image via San Jose Mercury News​
In the most recent expansion, Apple intends to occupy a 290,000-square-foot office complex known as Sunnyvale Crossing that is near the corner of Central Expressway and North Wolfe Road. Menlo Park-based Lane Partners bought the complex and then proceeded with a renovation to transform the decades-old buildings into a state-of-the-art office center.
According to city records, Apple is currently only listed as a tenant in one of the buildings, but plans to occupy the six other buildings as well. Additionally, building permit applications have been filed for all seven of the buildings for "interior improvements", though those must be approved by Sunnyvale's city planning commission.

The new Sunnyvale campus is yet another part of Apple's plan for expansion, alongside a new two-building Santa Clara campus that would hold 1,200 employees and Apple's already iconic Spaceship Campus, which will hold around 14,000 employees and is currently under construction.

Article Link: Apple Planning Expansion to Seven-Building Sunnyvale Campus

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Damn... that's a lot of employees.

14,000 at the Spaceship
1,450 in Sunnyvale
1,200 in Santa Clara

How many employees are at 1 Infinite Loop right now? And how many will stay there instead of going to the Spaceship or other locations?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It still amazes me that if you strip out retail workers Apple actually has fewer employees than Google.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007

14,000 at the Spaceship
1,450 in Sunnyvale
1,200 in Santa Clara

How many employees are at 1 Infinite Loop right now? And how many will stay there instead of going to the Spaceship or other locations?

Funny thing is, those buildings you list are only a SMALL part of the office space that Apple is currently renting in Sunnyvale and Cupertino.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Funny thing is, those buildings you list are only a SMALL part of the office space that Apple is currently renting in Sunnyvale and Cupertino.

Yeah... I remember Steve saying that when he met with the Cupertino City council. He said they were renting office space all over Silicon Valley.... and the spaceship would finally bring them all together under one roof.

So my next question is... will Apple be able to add MORE employees because of all this new real estate? Or will it just be a reshuffling of existing employees who are currently scattered around?

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
A lot of building, buying and spending… :eek:
I don't see enough developing, creating and improving
Is Apple the next RIM?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yes! If you look closely in the mockup you'll notice Apple still intends to leave the earth better than they found it.

It was a (cringeworthy) joke on my part. I was implying that the tree would eventually bear apples.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth

14,000 at the Spaceship
1,450 in Sunnyvale
1,200 in Santa Clara

Don't forget their data center employees, support offices, warehouses, NYC corporate office, as well as international locations outside of retail.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Don't forget their data center employees, support offices, warehouses, NYC corporate office, as well as international locations outside of retail.

Of course. :)

But I was just wondering how the spaceship would affect their existing Silicon Valley area employees.

Apple already has employees at One Infinite Loop... and that's just 2 miles from the spaceship. Plus there are even more employees scattered elsewhere in the area. Who will stay at One Infinite Loop and who will move into the spaceship?

Will the spaceship be the home for all these scattered employees? Or is it also for more employees?

Per this article... Apple is leasing space in Sunnyvale, 4 miles from One Infinite Loop for 1,450 employees. And they're leasing even more space in Santa Clara, 5 miles away for 1,200 employees.

But once the spaceship is complete... will the Sunnyvale and Santa Clara locations be closed? Or will they actually need to keep ALL these extra locations?

I'm just curious if Apple will populate One Infinite Loop and the spaceship and Sunnyvale and Santa Clara and wherever else they are.

Apple outgrew One Infinite Loop and that's why they've been leasing all this extra office space. I'm curious if the spaceship will finally house everyone in the area... or if they'll need even more space.

rahhb.riley

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
a State
“Randy, the **** pool is getting full. We better strain it before it overflows and causes a *****lide that could cover this entire community. I will not have a Pompeiian catastrophe happening in Sunnyvale.”

Obligatory Trailer Park Boys Joke

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco

14,000 at the Spaceship
1,450 in Sunnyvale
1,200 in Santa Clara

Most of Cupertino and a big part of Sunnywale are already covered by Apple buildings. Infinite Loop accommodates only a fraction of their employees in Santa Clara Valley.

----------

A lot of building, buying and spending… :eek:
I don't see enough developing, creating and improving
Is Apple the next RIM?

Sure Mr. Shareholder. Google and others keep their employees in tents ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.